1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 T-ROC R-Line 1.5 DSG
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

Looking for some advice.

I took delivery of my new TROC R line this month and the reversing camera had been missed off the order.

The garage were very quick to get it booked in to fit but what they didn't tell me is that it was a visible camera above the number plate being fitted and not the badge camera.

They are insisting that they cannot fit the badge camera and are quite frankly trying to fob me off with other offers of apology.

I've seen some threads on here that suggest that it can indeed be retrospectively fitted and I have also found companies online who can do this.

Has anyone had a badge camera retrospectively fitted? Or can offer advice on how to proceed.

This has really taken the shine away from receiving my new car - a treat I bought myself after landing a massive step up in my career.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,911 Posts
The pop out emblem camera absolutely can be retrofitted to MIB2 cars but I’m not sure about MIB3. If yours is brand new then it will be equipped with the MIB3 system. I believe if it’s a 70 plate or later it’s MIB3. @Vernerbongo2 should be able to confirm whether or not it can be coded in MIB3 systems. If it can, then you will be around £600 at a garage to have it done (I looked at having it done to my Golf a few years ago).

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
I can't see why it shouldn't be possible to retrofit a standard factory fit badge camera. What happens if someone runs into the back of your car ? Are they really saying that the camera could not be replaced along with fitting a new tailgate and rear bumper and lights ?

Sounds like a load of manure to me.

Reactions: KC1611

·
Registered
TRoc R Line Ravenna Blue
32 Posts
Hi All.

Looking for some advice.

I took delivery of my new TROC R line this month and the reversing camera had been missed off the order.

The garage were very quick to get it booked in to fit but what they didn't tell me is that it was a visible camera above the number plate being fitted and not the badge camera.

They are insisting that they cannot fit the badge camera and are quite frankly trying to fob me off with other offers of apology.

I've seen some threads on here that suggest that it can indeed be retrospectively fitted and I have also found companies online who can do this.

Has anyone had a badge camera retrospectively fitted? Or can offer advice on how to proceed.

This has really taken the shine away from receiving my new car - a treat I bought myself after landing a massive step up in my career.
Had one retro fitted to mine as part of the deal on a second hand car

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
898 Posts
The pop out emblem camera absolutely can be retrofitted to MIB2 cars but I’m not sure about MIB3. If yours is brand new then it will be equipped with the MIB3 system. I believe if it’s a 70 plate or later it’s MIB3. @Vernerbongo2 should be able to confirm whether or not it can be coded in MIB3 systems. If it can, then you will be around £600 at a garage to have it done (I looked at having it done to my Golf a few years ago).
@BobM has confirmed it 👌😉

Yes there is coding involved as well.

A few of the other T-roc forums have guides on installation & they purchase the cameras from aliexpress.
Seems to be quite a big job 🙈

Reactions: KC1611 and twist

·
Registered
1,911 Posts

2 alternatives
Those guys seem to also offer an upgrade to pACC which apparently works on older MIB2 T-Rocs. Although MIB3 owners so far have said it’s not good and does very weird, unpredictable things. If it worked really well I’d pay the £200 for the upgrade.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
The point here for the OP (@KC1611 ) is that retrofit camera kits are available but much more expensive than the factory fitted option. Who pays for the retrofit is something which the dealer and VW need to sort out if the camera was ordered as an option and not fitted. Don't be fobbed off by the dealer who obviously just wants to fit the much cheaper number plate type, which is probably an indication that it was their mistake when entering the order.

·
Registered
TROC R 2022 Black Pearl
56 Posts
I insisted on having a retrospective camera fitted to my R last month as part of the deal. At first the dealer said it couldn't be done but after I threatened to pull out they agreed to do it for £500 fitted.

The one they fitted was the number plate light one and although it works OK - shows intended line of travel and gives a clear colour pic etc it has following issues:-

Doesn't allow the normal parking schematic diagram to be seen at any time.
Comes on showing rear view camera even when coming up to something in front - can see front warnings from small superimposed car pic on camera view though.

I was going to use a company called Autologics who said they could fit one at my home which would work OK (via the fitting of a new boot handle) for £599. Being a stingy Yorkshireman I decided to stick with the cheaper VW one but sometimes wish I'd paid the extra £99. BTW Autologics also fit Ghost security systems for the TRoc at £460 - tempting!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I insisted on having a retrospective camera fitted to my R last month as part of the deal. At first the dealer said it couldn't be done but after I threatened to pull out they agreed to do it for £500 fitted.

The one they fitted was the number plate light one and although it works OK - shows intended line of travel and gives a clear colour pic etc it has following issues:-

Doesn't allow the normal parking schematic diagram to be seen at any time.
Comes on showing rear view camera even when coming up to something in front - can see front warnings from small superimposed car pic on camera view though.

I was going to use a company called Autologics who said they could fit one at my home which would work OK (via the fitting of a new boot handle) for £599. Being a stingy Yorkshireman I decided to stick with the cheaper VW one but sometimes wish I'd paid the extra £99. BTW Autologics also fit Ghost security systems for the TRoc at £460 - tempting!
That Ghost security thing is awesome. Don’t think I’d bother on mine though as I doubt anyone is really looking to boost an R-line but if I had an R I’d be tempted.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
This is how the VW retrofit one looks & works:-

VW Number Plate Lamp Camera
Interesting that it has dynamic trajectory lines. The emblem camera fitted to the T-Roc is the cheap one (what a surprise, VW…) with static lines unlike the Golf and other VW models which get the highline camera.

I don’t know why this bothered me initially as it’s pretty obvious where the car is going to end up anyway and it’s never caused me to have an accident but still, more cost cutting which I think T-Roc owners are generally disappointed with.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m in the process of fitting to my 2022 t-roc r at the moment, my garage have not been helpful at all, even to the points of not wanting to look though the parts on the computer due to my vin not having the listed parts, repeatedly tells me that I’ve voided my warranty and also telling me that if the car goes in for service and ts plugged into there system it will clear all other coding that the car did not have whe it left The factory

·
Registered
TROC R 2022 Black Pearl
56 Posts
Sorry to hear that Miket - basically same initial response I got when asked the dealer to fit one for me.

So, will be interesting to see if they come up with issues at the first service - which they could‘ve caused by their fitting the camera on mine! 🤔

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear that Miket - basically same initial response I got when asked the dealer to fit one for me.

So, will be interesting to see if they come up with issues at the first service - which they could‘ve caused by their fitting the camera on mine! 🤔
apparently you tell the know all on the service desk not to put it on there system, but we will see

·
Registered
13 Posts
Next time I bob in for a coffee I’ll do a bit of checking! 👍
Just another bit of info that may be of help, the cheap retrofits from China although look good they have a fundamental problem that the controllers are not parametrized and will not work and as your car was not fitted with the system from the factory even your garage can’t set the things to work

·
Registered
2022 T-ROC R-Line 1.5 DSG
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on my issue...

The garage called me last Friday to say that they 100% could not retro fit the badge camera but that they have found a company locally to them who can do it (but not using official VW parts). My mind is absolutely blown by this. I really don't understand why they can't do it themselves. As I mentioned in my original post, I paid for this and it was on the order form so someone has really messed up here. In addition, the camera they did fit, they didn't do a good job as my bumper has lifted slightly so that's another problem to get sorted.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Ask them how an accident repair would be carried out for cars with factory fitted cameras.

There must be lots of them and I'm sure the owners would be horrified to learn that VW dealers cannot fit a new badge camera. Perhaps the tailgates are different (mmmm ?) in which case VW can remedy your situation by supplying a complete tailgate with badge camera fitted as per your order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update on my issue...

The garage called me last Friday to say that they 100% could not retro fit the badge camera but that they have found a company locally to them who can do it (but not using official VW parts). My mind is absolutely blown by this. I really don't understand why they can't do it themselves. As I mentioned in my original post, I paid for this and it was on the order form so someone has really messed up here. In addition, the camera they did fit, they didn't do a good job as my bumper has lifted slightly so that's another problem to get sorted.
From what I understand, the garage only has the system to do what they do from day to day and that’s it! There ara companys that do retrofits and have the extra licenses from vag but are very expensive in my opinion
funny thing is I I write this look what just dropped though my door! I’ll let you know how the fitting and coding goes
Bicycle helmet Helmet Wheel Automotive tire Sports gear

1 - 20 of 25 Posts