Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ask them how an accident repair would be carried out for cars with factory fitted cameras.

There must be lots of them and I'm sure the owners would be horrified to learn that VW dealers cannot fit a new badge camera. Perhaps the tailgates are different (mmmm ?) in which case VW can remedy your situation by supplying a complete tailgate with badge camera fitted as per your order.
A one for one replacement is no problem, it’s when the car was not fitted with the item at the factory is the problem

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
A one for one replacement is no problem, it’s when the car was not fitted with the item at the factory is the problem
That's why I asked about accident repairs ... if the whole tailgate is crushed, and perhaps broken parts left behind on the roadside, then a simple one for one replacement won't be possible. I can't imagine a replacement tailgate would come with a camera already fitted, but if it does or if the camera can only be fitted to some tailgates, then @KC1611's car should be 'repaired' in the same way.

The fact that you and others are fitting some after market camera suggests that all the necessary wiring is already there, so what exactly is the problem besides it being something they don't normally do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's why I asked about accident repairs ... if the whole tailgate is crushed, and perhaps broken parts left behind on the roadside, then a simple one for one replacement won't be possible. I can't imagine a replacement tailgate would come with a camera already fitted, but if it does or if the camera can only be fitted to some tailgates, then @KC1611's car should be 'repaired' in the same way.

The fact that you and others are fitting some after market camera suggests that all the necessary wiring is already there, so what exactly is the problem besides it being something they don't normally do.
when a car is being built it is connected to the factory computer to code each and all controllers fitted to that car, it is logged on the computer buy the VIN, if the garage connects a car to the vag computer system the computer looks at the VIN and if it sees a item say as per this post rear camera it deletes all the coding for that item, if the car had a camera from the factory then it will code or if a new camera is fitted it would code that as it did in the first place when the car was being built
as for the wiring loom, only the wires for any said items fitted in the factory are installed, the looms are made up as a modular unit so if the car was to have camera then a camera loom would be added to a standard loom and so on!
the easy part is buying the retrofit looms the harder part is fitting some looms and checking pin outs! Then connecting the near impossible to get at controllers

·
Registered
TROC R 2022 Black Pearl
54 Posts
My car didn’t have the camera factory fitted so when they were retrofitting it they said they could check if everything worked OK (or reasonably!) before tucking the wiring from dash to boot into the trim etc.

The dealer did add that VW ”might” be coming out with an updated retrofit but no idea as yet when that would be available or what it would consist of!

·
Super Moderator
2,814 Posts
when a car is being built it is connected to the factory computer to code each and all controllers fitted to that car, it is logged on the computer buy the VIN, if the garage connects a car to the vag computer system the computer looks at the VIN and if it sees a item say as per this post rear camera it deletes all the coding for that item, if the car had a camera from the factory then it will code or if a new camera is fitted it would code that as it did in the first place when the car was being built
as for the wiring loom, only the wires for any said items fitted in the factory are installed, the looms are made up as a modular unit so if the car was to have camera then a camera loom would be added to a standard loom and so on!
the easy part is buying the retrofit looms the harder part is fitting some looms and checking pin outs! Then connecting the near impossible to get at controllers
So why have you posted a photo of a camera which just dropped through your door ... I'm guessing you intend to fit this to your car or for someone else.

Do you/they have an existing wiring loom, and is the camera already coded or will it be coded ?

As regards coding, I think you are referring to VAG component protection which is a security measure intended to prevent transferring parts from stolen vehicles etc. A quck search on the internet will reveal that VAG authorised repairers can use a VAG software tool (ODIS) to remove component protection from a device and recode new parts fitted to a vehicle, so I have to assume official VAG dealers also have access to this tool which connects to a Volkswagen database.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts