Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1.5tsi eco r-line white silver
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I have a 2018 1.5 r-line manual & intermittently after start up upon selecting reverse gear it seems as if the reverse gear teeth are still spinning for a couple of seconds, anyone come across this. ? (still on warranty)

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
818 Posts
No problems that I've noticed.

After purchasing my T Roc, I didn't like the way reverse is selected. It never feels like a positive selection although it doesn't do what yours does.
First VW I've owned & I've always been used to the gearstick ring you pull up before selecting reverse. Seems more positive 🤔

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
@grubber - this sounds to me like the clutch is not fully disengaging, perhaps due to needing adjustment or a worn release bearing, or it could be a problem with the synchromesh.

Afraid it needs to be inspected by a mechanic, VW or independent, to determine the cause and what repair is needed.

Reactions: Seal

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had an Audi A3 1.4 petrol from new and now a 1.5 T-Roc.
Both grind/crunch into reverse when car is stationary.
I complained to both factory dealership workshops about maybe the clutch wasn't releasing far enough, did it need bleeding? Both said it's normal, no faults.
So I've developed a technique whereby I select reverse while the car has almost come to a halt going forwards to avoid the crunch.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
372 Posts
If the clutch is sticking a bit I can also be that the clutch plate has oil contamination.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,867 Posts
I've developed a technique whereby I select reverse while the car has almost come to a halt going forwards to avoid the crunch.
Is that not really bad for the clutch though?

·
Registered
60 Posts
No, I don't lift the clutch pedal to move the car from forwards to reverse. The car has almost come to a halt, the idea is it's easier to engage reverse while the gearbox shafts are still rotating. I emphasise the car is almost at a standstill when I engage reverse.
Being a mechanic from a past era, I'm wondering if there just isn't enough clutch plate clearance with dual mass flywheels?
Why did the industry have to re-invent the wheel? What was wrong with a single clutch cover plate?

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
372 Posts
If putting the car in to a forward gear to free the clutch works that is classic oil contamination on the clutch plate.
reverse doesn’t have a synchromesh on it so it grinds. When you put it into first gear first, the synchromesh loosens the stuck clutch plate. The synchro stops the grinding sound but it also wears out the synchromesh faster. The oil on the clutch plate causes suction which has to be over come by the synchromesh or grinding reverse gear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Audi A3 1.4 petrol and T-Roc 1.5 have had dragging clutch since new, workshop say it's normal!
(Not an oil problem)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts