Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just booked my car in for its second service.
Obviously just turned two years old and has 10,000 miles on the clock.
I’ve been told that this will be a major service and will be charged £295 for the pleasure.
Is this the going rate for a service?
My flabber was somewhat gasted to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Rectangle Font Number Circle Parallel

So, both services will include an oil change while the 2nd service also includes changing the dust/pollen filter with an optional Air Con service (£95). Neither include brake fluid change ( that's at 3 years old, then every 2 years after that), so I don't really know what else is in the second service but it is certainly more than the first.

My dealer paid for the first 2 services so I don't know the cost of those (other than the AC which I had to pay for). I've just had my 3rd service and MOT which came to a total of £298 (£184 for the service + £69 for the brake fluid + £45 for MOT). That makes you 2nd service at £295 seem an awful lot, so I'd ask if the AC is included.

Also, be aware that VW recommend replacing the timng/cam belt when the car reaches 5 years old and my dealer told me the cost is £550 at today's prices and that would be on top of the annual service and MOT !!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
You should have tried owning a Volvo 480 Turbo back in 1988 the bigger service cost £474 and I damaged the exhaust back box and it was £275 just for the back box

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
I've just done a Google search for 'volkswagen fixed price service' ... volkswagen fixed price service - Google Search

and it seems my dealer's prices are very competitive and are less than or the same as those found by the above search.

Note: most of the search results show minor/major service costs, brake fluid, air con, MOT, cambelt etc. so they are well worth a look for comparison.

The good news for @Bellasdad is that most list the major (2nd) service at over £350 but excluding air con.

As for what's included ...

Font Number

Font Material property Number Document Screenshot

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that @Impala looks like the quote I've been given is pretty much par for the course then.
I'll get a full breakdown of what's included, I doubt the aircon service will be included.
I can still feel a serious case of pocket cramp coming on though.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
It can only get worse with inflation heading to 10%

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It can only get worse with inflation heading to 10%
I lived through the days of 15% interest rates and somehow survived.
Worrying times though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I took out a service plan when I bought the car which cost £16 a month for 2 years and covers the first 2 services , it doesn't seem that bad from what i'me reading on here !

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
I took out a service plan when I bought the car which cost £16 a month for 2 years and covers the first 2 services , it doesn't seem that bad from what i'me reading on here !
Agreed ... but some people manage to get the dealer to provide a complimentary service package as part of the 'deal' when ordering a car. In practice this is better/cheaper for the dealer than giving a 'discount', although they often make that up through the PX valuation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for that @Impala looks like the quote I've been given is pretty much par for the course then.
I'll get a full breakdown of what's included, I doubt the aircon service will be included.
I can still feel a serious case of pocket cramp coming on though.
Second service for my Passat was £330. That was back in Feb and was a DSG. So, it seems the price you have been quoted seems reasonable. However, I managed to get the first and second service on my new car for £269. I'm not sure if there is a difference in cost for servicing a DSG and a manual or a Troc and Passat. When I rang to book my car in I was asked if I had been quoted by other dealerships so I got the impression these service charges are not set in stone and can be negotiable.

Aircon service was an extra cost which I declined.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
Aircon service was an extra cost which I declined.
I posted previously that I included the aircon with my second service to ensure there would be no problems with warranty if the aircon developed a fault during my third year. Apparently the aircon 'gas' includes lubricants for internals and preserves hoses, so not having it replaced at the recommended point could possibly cause operational problems which then wouldn't have warranty cover.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I posted previously that I included the aircon with my second service to ensure there would be no problems with warranty if the aircon developed a fault during my third year. Apparently the aircon 'gas' includes lubricants for internals and preserves hoses, so not having it replaced at the recommended point could possibly cause operational problems which then wouldn't have warranty cover.
That's a fair point and I agree but, in this particular case, I knew I was selling the car on within a few months (it turned out to be weeks) so I decided to take that chance and forgo the aircon service.

Also, even had I intended to keep the car, it was a low-mileage lockdown car (6000 miles), I may well have declined this service. Won't need to think again about it for a couple of years now though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
So why isn’t the aircon on the regular service schedule.
at one time they used to tell you that servicing aircon before it was needed could cause problems. On most cars where a light comes on the aircon switch when switched on. The light comes on when the pressure is low. They used to say service the air con when the warning light came on not before

·
Registered
414 Posts
How can they turn down a warranty repair on the aircon. If the aircon recharge service is an option. Yes if you don’t have the engine oil changed at 12 months 9000miles they can refuse to pay for engine damage. But an item they can’t be bothered to specify the service interval in miles years how can they say you didn’t do what they didn’t tell you to do in an official service booklet etc??

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
How can they turn down a warranty repair on the aircon. If the aircon recharge service is an option. Yes if you don’t have the engine oil changed at 12 months 9000miles they can refuse to pay for engine damage. But an item they can’t be bothered to specify the service interval in miles years how can they say you didn’t do what they didn’t tell you to do in an official service booklet etc??
It's in the same category as brake fluid changes which are recommended at 3 years and then every 2 years after that, and like AC it is optional and is not included in the basic service (in the UK anyway). For aircon, there are 2 levels of service recommended every 2 years - one is basically cleaning filters (and topping up ?), while the more expensive is a complete fluid/gas change. Brake fluid and AC are time related and not dependent on mileage. The exact details can be found on the VW web site under the pages for owners/service.

The point is that many/most cars will continue beyond these recommended service intervals, but the associated risks will increase as the time interval increases. Once a car is out of warranty, or for people considering replacing their car in the near future, delaying or ignoring these items is quite common practice - less so for the brakes as that becomes a safety risk to life and limb for drivers their passengers/family and for other road users or pedestrians.

But during the warranty period, if the recommended service work is not carried out by a VW authorised agent, the warranty will become null and void for those items or anything which depends on them. This is common practice with any sort of warranty for most goods.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This will be the first car I’ve owned that I will be keeping beyond 3 years.
Nothing else out there takes my fancy and I am not overly keen on the touch controls in the new T-Roc.
I will stick with the VW recommend service regime and if that includes the air con then so be it.
Whatever the cost may be I’ll take it on the chin just for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
414 Posts
By no means am I saying don’t do any service items while your car is in warranty.
I alway stick with a main dealer and get everything done. In fact I do everything when the car is out of warranty as I keep my cars a longish or long time.
I am on flexible service interval. And I have paid monthly through the VW dealer for the service at 2 years old. It is €14.95 a month and I think it equates to either €145 or€165 to pay for the service. It will be interesting to see what they say if anything about the aircon. The dealer said cancel the service contract after they have done the service and see if they have any other offers on for servicing at that time.
The Spanish dealers by default set the cars to flexible service intervals no matter what.

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
VW UK are pushing a 'new' All-in service plan for cars between 3 and 6 years old. Rather than type the details, I've pasted in are a couple of screenshots with the prices, based on 2 years service/All-in, taken from the VW UK web site. Much of the claimed 'saving' is the cost of 2 years warranty, but as with all extended warranties, I expect a lot of items will not be covered.

Font Number Rectangle Document Paper product

Font Number

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just had my second service completed and saved £120 by signing up for the two year service plan, still expensive in my opinion but what isn’t nowadays.
I was also informed about VW’s new plan for cars over three years old.
Two years extended warranty.
Two services.
Two years roadside assistance.
Two Mot’s included.
All for the princely sum of £805.
Not a bad deal I suppose and something I will consider next year.
All in all quite a draining morning for my wallet.
I’m going for a sandwich and a lie down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts