Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new T-Roc on 30/7/19 with 2 services plan I had a service on 7/6/21 when it had 5800 miles. VW have called to book it in for my next service which I think is too soon. My current mileage is 11000 when should I book my next service?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are you on yearly or two yearly service intervals

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
I bought a brand new T-Roc on 30/7/19 with 2 services plan I had a service on 7/6/21 when it had 5800 miles. VW have called to book it in for my next service which I think is too soon. My current mileage is 11000 when should I book my next service?
OK - you are obvioulsy unaware of the 2 types of servicing intervals available on new VW cars. You can opt to have either a fixed (traditional) time/mileage interval where a service is due every 12 months or 9,000 miles whichever is sooner.

Alternatively you can have what is known as a variable service interval where the car's computer system determines when the service is due, based on actual measurements of how the car is used/driven and the mileage, but the service interval will never be more than 2 years or 18,000 miles whichever is sooner, but in most cases it will be less then both of these.

With both types of service regime, a message will be displayed on the dashboard multi-function display (MFD) when a service is due (usually about 3 or 4 weeks before).

The fact that your car went nearly 2 years before the first service suggests that it started out on the variable service regime, but the dealer has now contacted you 1 year later to say your next service is due. It is possible that the workshop changed your car to a fixed service interval, because of your car's low 5,800 miles over 2 years, or the service dept. have simply made a mistake. Have you had a service due message on the MFD ?

If you have, then it is probable it is now on the fixed interval regime and you should book the service. If there has been no service due message, then I suggest you contact the dealer and ask for clarification.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's correct it was on a variable service at first now they have changed it to a fixed service. I've done about 5200 miles in one year though isn't that a bit quick for a service?

·
Registered
372 Posts
People do not realise short distances are harder on engines and engine oil than long motorway runs when the engine is upto temperature. When an engine rarely gets the engine oil upto full temperature you get fuel dilution and condensation mixing with the oil (I’m not talking about coolant temperature engine oil takes a lot longer to get upto temperature. An engine that is allowed to get fully upto temperature will boil the petrol and moisture out of the oil a cold engine will not. You can read the oil temperature on your display.) The engine oil is upto temperature around 100c.
So short distances the engine oil will be more worn out at 5000miles than a car doing 10,000 in 12 months.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Also people soon forget oil changes used to be every 3000miles or every 3months whichever comes first.
i Don’t know why people get confused if your on yearly servicing it’s 9000miles or 12 months it’s whichever comes first.
I’ve heard of people whose service interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months. They do 3000miles a year so they bring the car in for its first service at 3years when it’s done 10,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
That's correct it was on a variable service at first now they have changed it to a fixed service. I've done about 5200 miles in one year though isn't that a bit quick for a service?
You have answered your own question ... it is one year since your last service.

If you had driven 9,000 miles in just three months, the car would also be due a service if you are on a fixed service regime.

If you drive less than 9000 miles a year, then a service is due every 12 months regardless of whether you have driven an extra 3000, 6000 or 8000 miles, but no more than 9000.

If you drive more than 9000 miles a year, then the service is due every 9000 miles regardless of whether 3 months, 6 months or 9 months has elapsed, but no more than 12 months.

People who regularly drive more than 9000 miles a year are advised to select the variable service regime, and those who drive less than 9000 are advised to select the fixed service regime.

Based on your mileage, you are on the correct service regime and your service is now due since it is 12 months from your previous service. Even if you switch back to the variable service, it is unlikely that you would get anywhere near 2 years between services due to your low mileage with probably lots of short, stop-start journeys on a cold engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts