Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
DSG - the only problem with it is it doesn't exist! Some time soon I hope. My wife has the DSG gearbox on her Polo 1.2 ('64 reg) and it's very good and smooth. Hoping this 1.5 DSG will be as good or better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grrralph said:
DSG - the only problem with it is it doesn't exist! Some time soon I hope. My wife has the DSG gearbox on her Polo 1.2 ('64 reg) and it's very good and smooth. Hoping this 1.5 DSG will be as good or better.
I'm playing withe idea of changing over as I ordered a manual but having second thoughts now :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Negativepitch said:
Grrralph said:
I'm playing withe idea of changing over as I ordered a manual but having second thoughts now :lol:
If you've ordered a 1.0 litre, then the DSG is not available. You'll have to upgrade to the 1.5 litre instead.

Vehicle Font Display device Auto part Technology

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Apart from the primary cost factor which may be a deciding factor.
The 1.5 DSG is virtually as economical as the 1.0 due to not being thrashed to get about, (unless you are going to spend all day in town), but then that's really when you need a DSG. Changes when required, not held back by the driver because they may be fed up of changing up.
In view of the traffic congestion which requires constant gear shifts the idea of a manual box, to me anyway, is completely alien.
I have driven automatics for the last 50 years with complete reliability and over many 100's thousands of miles. Even HGV's run similar boxes now to help workload and keep the drivers mind on the road not the revs. I do believe that Formula 1 use DSG boxes.
With a DSG its a no brainer as you still have the ability to drive it as a manual (because that is what they are) should you so wish, just at the push of a button and without any left foot workload.
Drive in a city for a couple of hours with an *auto* and feel the difference in lack of stress levels.
Frankly I am surprised that cars are not all made with auto boxes. I find it amusing that on some premium brands you pay extra for a manual box.
I do think the convenience offsets the macho image that may persist. Things have moved on since the old Borg Warner 3 speeders where the difference could be then appreciated and a manual fully justified.
Anyway, idleness is nothing unless it is lived up to:
Maybe I'm just biased, but happy.

·
Registered
985 Posts
DSG ordered. Have had the DSG box in my Audi's - S3 and RSQ3 and also in my wife's A1 and they are superb. However I would highly recommend you get the steering wheel paddles to complement them (if not supplied a standard), take a bit of getting used to but then you have the best of all worlds with the auto style box for slow moving traffic, but when you want a bit of fun, using the paddles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Americans do wonder what our fascination is with the stick shift as they call it. They say what is the fun, in wiggling a stick around all day, do something else more beneficial to keep yourself entertained!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I love DSG, it's superb, but it's one of those things I had to weigh up when buying the car - spend the money or save it? I went for "save it" and got a manual. If the price differential wasn't so large I'd have got DSG, in which case I'd probably be waiting for delivery of my car instead of driving it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
When I went to buy my car I thought about DSG. But then found out only with 1.5 engine, so that would have made it more money to the point that I could not afford it, an extra £2500. when you are on a pension is a heck of a lot to find. Still, I can dream.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.