Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been into aircooled vw's in one sort or another as far back as I can remember.
I have had my buggy for around for the past 15 years. Hence my avatar.
There's two types of beach buggy. The standard beach buggy that everyone thinks of, but there is also street buggies which is just built for the road and which is on a completely different set up and lowered.
Most are built on a shortened beetle chassis which makes it a lot lighter so more speed obviously.
Each one is built to each individuals looks etc, there is not a standard one.
There are different makes of shells around.
There are around Just over 2000 buggies in the U.K. Which I belong to the uk buggy forum. I also belong to one of the largest aircooled forums in Europe which is uk based.
Through farce-book we keep in contact with other buggy club all over the world from the USA, Canada, Mexico, South Africa Puerto Rico , Hawaii etc etc.
Each year we travel to Germany or Denmark for some of the big buggy meets from other countries from around Europe.
My buggy is a street buggy. Is built on a tube frame with a shortened beetle spine/tunnel.
I changed over the standard beetle clutch etc over to hydraulic and fitted a break bias under the drivers seat which enables me to change the break bias on the move if needed.
A good few of my bits I bought from the states.
I have a full race spec race cage made in chromoly which is a lot stronger.
Carbon fibre dash etc.
It has had two four page magazine features and I have won four awards at various shows.
Because all the weight is in the back if you take off in first to fast it will wheelie which can be a bit concerning at first 馃槃Any way if anyone is interested there are some photos of my strip down last year to change some bits and bobs and a link to the specs.
And it's up for sale at the moment if anyone is interested :D it cost me just over 15 grand to build as it stands now.

I am also into sci fi, model railways, dr who (someone has to be 馃槂)

So what hobbies do you have ?

The buggy specs are here...

Buggy strip down and some original build photos here.....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.914010185435207&type=1&l=1b3b70458c

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle

Attachments

Registered
Always fancied a beach buggy but have just never really got around to it.

Hobbies - until getting the T-ROC, it was fast cars, recent ones being a Mitsubishi Evo X, Audi S3 and Audi RSQ3 Competition. With my cars it's always a case of cleaning and polishing (OCD kicks in, hate dirty cars!) and considering "tweaks" - which I'm thinking of for the T-Roc at present (re-map, suspension, exhaust possibly - well see).

But my main passion, and has been for years are my motorcycles. Love tuning, modifying, cleaning, riding, touring on my bikes, great fun. Have ridden the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland (twice), the 5 passes of the Alps in 2018, and have just booked up to ride the Pyrenees in June 2020.

Main ride is my Triumph Explorer 1200 for touring and riding in general, I still also have my Suzuki GSX1400 (which I have owned since new in 2007 and customised and polished within an inch of its life and which now only comes out on really sunny days) but I also have an MV F4-1000 track bike (ridden only on the track - way too quick for the road) for those odd days when you just want to really open things up (186 bhp and 0-60 in how fast?) and have a bit of a scrap on a track. Love them all.

Attachments

Registered
Holy thread revival Batman! :D

But I do love your "collection" Hawkeye, especially the MV. They all look primped and preened to beyond immaculate which is amazing and fab. All great choices, you could eat your dinner off that Suzy!

You must have a very understanding wife or be wedded to your motors. Or both. The neighbours must queue up to view the latest additions :mrgreen:

Registered
Very nice Hawkeye. The T-Roc must seem very pedestrian after being in those above.

Registered
Thanks for your comments, appreciated. I think now after almost 40 years of marriage, plus given that when we first met I was heavily into motorcycles, that my dear lady wife forgives me the bikes, although she comes out on the back less and less these days, so they are more "boys toys". Neighbours are often about asking how to clean this or that on their cars, so they are all great talking points. The Suzuki these days is much more of a polishing hobby, but keeps me occupied. I did start adding up how much all the bling etc has cost me over the years, but gave up after a while. What price a hobby eh?

Strangely after the quick motors the T-ROC is a lot less pedestrian than I expected, in fact for the performance one can actually get to utilise on the roads these days, it's probably more than enough - what I miss more is the torque and the rasping exhaust note, especially from my RSQ3, which had a lovely little burble. It was interesting to see that Akrapovic have developed an exhaust for the T-ROC "R" which may fit the R-Line as well (who knows), but as a 拢3K option, it's unlikely to ever be a consideration. Time will tell if one is ever released by a third party.

After 6 months ownership, and, given that the wife and I downsized to one car (she didn't like the size of the RSQ3 after her A1), I'm surprisingly still enjoying the T-ROC, it's a great car to drive.

Registered
Hawkeye said:
Thanks for your comments, appreciated. I think now after almost 40 years of marriage, plus given that when we first met I was heavily into motorcycles, that my dear lady wife forgives me the bikes, although she comes out on the back less and less these days, so they are more "boys toys". Neighbours are often about asking how to clean this or that on their cars, so they are all great talking points. The Suzuki these days is much more of a polishing hobby, but keeps me occupied. I did start adding up how much all the bling etc has cost me over the years, but gave up after a while. What price a hobby eh?

Strangely after the quick motors the T-ROC is a lot less pedestrian than I expected, in fact for the performance one can actually get to utilise on the roads these days, it's probably more than enough - what I miss more is the torque and the rasping exhaust note, especially from my RSQ3, which had a lovely little burble. It was interesting to see that Akrapovic have developed an exhaust for the T-ROC "R" which may fit the R-Line as well (who knows), but as a 拢3K option, it's unlikely to ever be a consideration. Time will tell if one is ever released by a third party.

After 6 months ownership, and, given that the wife and I downsized to one car (she didn't like the size of the RSQ3 after her A1), I'm surprisingly still enjoying the T-ROC, it's a great car to drive.
Isn't there a fake exhaust note system that just outputs a similar noise through the car's speakers ? Perhaps available as a mobile app :lol:

Registered
This video was taken the former RAF Abingdon in Oxfordshire, "Classic Jets" is held four times a year.
The rest of our events are organised by the "Jet Modellers Association" (JMA) and held at various events around the UK.
Please see the link below:-

Registered
AlistairP said:
This video was taken the former RAF Abingdon in Oxfordshire, "Classic Jets" is held four times a year.
The rest of our events are organised by the "Jet Modellers Association" (JMA) and held at various events around the UK.
Please see the link below:-
Wow very impressive and some really skillful flying :cool: He mentioned 15 grand but I'm guessing you can spend even more. They sound good too; not so whiny as the ones I remember.

'Course, all I ever had was a balsa wood glider, 'constructed' by poking the wings through the main body and chucking it for a loop the loop if you were lucky :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts