Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to get used to not putting the "handbrake on".

When you stop and put it in neutral, the holding brake comes one. If you then take the key out, the parking brake comes on.

To then pull away, you just put it in gear and drive off.

Is that correct? Seems odd to never have to put the brake on or off, which begs the question, why is there an option to do so?

·
Registered
86 Posts
3rd VW I've had with the auto hold brake, so I never touch the "handbrake". You soon get used to it.

Only problem is when you drive a different car with a conventional handbrake and forget..... I have actually got out and the car has started to roll away!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
firstvw said:
Hard to get used to not putting the "handbrake on".

When you stop and put it in neutral, the holding brake comes one. If you then take the key out, the parking brake comes on.

To then pull away, you just put it in gear and drive off.

Is that correct? Seems odd to never have to put the brake on or off, which begs the question, why is there an option to do so?
'Google' search "VW EPB and auto hill hold" which gives YouTube links to videos of the subject.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you're on a steep hill and cine to a stop (eg in traffic) it's better to manually apply the parking brake as it's easier to pull away from that than it is from the holding brake.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you're on a steep hill and cine to a stop (eg in traffic) it's better to manually apply the parking brake as it's easier to pull away from that than it is from the holding brake.

Why would you ever do that? Its automatic, let it do its own thing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The problem I have is that I have two Daughters who have cars that have old fashioned pull up hand brakes. When I try to move their cars they just refuse to move. It's about time ALL hand brakes were like ours. The last car I had was a Vauxhall Astra, pull up at a junction on a slope and it would hold automatically if you put your foot on the foot brake and continue to hold for three seconds after you lifted your foot, then it would roll back. I used to curse that thing at first. When parking up on our driveway, which has a slope, you always had to pull up the little leaver. either once or twice for extra hold ( what ever that was) when starting off you just drove away. I wanted it to be like the VW one as you did not even need to touch it, which I don't. It makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a strange incident yesterday when I parked forward on a slight down hill slope which had a 20cm high wall before a 50 cm drop. I parked the car about 20 cm from the wall . Later I tried to reverse out and the car drove forward , which I stopped with the foot brake just as it hit the retaining wall. the auto hold was on .i tried again to rereverse but it wouldn't move . A guy came up and said the reversing lights came on but you went forward ? He the got in front of the bonnet and pushed me backwards as I engaged reversed and the car went backwards . Nothing about this in the manual . Has anybody experienced similar?

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you engage reverse gear there's no way the car will drive forward. Maybe the auto-hold let go when there wasn't enough revs going on to actually move you backwards (sounds likely). That said, from a parked position it's not actually auto-hold that's braking you, it's the electronic hand brake proper (operates on the back two wheels). This is actually the better option for setting off on a gradient - if you're stopped on auto-hold on a hill, dab the parking brake switch to engage that instead, the pull away is much better & smoother from parking brake than it is from auto-hold.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would sooner that the car was held on ALL 4 brakes than just two, either on a hill or/and at traffic lights. Someone bumps you at the back while you are stopped, he pushes you forward and your car bumps the one in front of you, even if you left a good space between you and one in front. I would sooner have had the use of the 4 wheels being braked. Thus minimising the forward thrust of being hit from behind and pushed forward into another car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A word of warning with the auto-hold park brake - it is essential that the driver has the seat belt on, otherwise it won't work properly. I only say this because of a couple of roll-aways when I first got my Tiguan due disconnecting the driver's seat belt a bit too quickly when parking the car. Fortunately, neither incident resulted in any damage!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have found that if one has to manually release the parking brake (press down on brake pedal and press down on parking brake switch at the same time) and with auto Hold turned off as well, when park up and switch the engine off, the park brake does not Apply, ie no red light in the active Info Display.

I have had to drive like that a few times due to the intermittent fault with the brakes not releasing.

Very unnerving. Always check brake light is red once parked up.
I will mention this as well to the garage when the car goes in later this week.

·
Registered
186 Posts
On my car when auto hold is selected and you psrk up, the parking brake applies when you turn the ignition off but as the display has changed the red symbol is not shown but if you listen you can hear it being applied. As I park my car in the garage overnight I turn the radio off and hear it distinctly. So I presume its default position means you cannot leave the car when ignition is off without the parking brake on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As an update to my last post . Had problem with brake/clutch smell and hissing noise coming ventilation system . Called out AA and suggested might have something to do with previous problem of rolling forward. ? AA took it out with me as passenger , no smell or hissing noise but when he reversed up a slight hill the car rolled forward 2 out of 3 attempts " said this is not right"
I asked if there was were any software updates . On checking he found there was one a couple of days old for auto hold/parking. Down loaded and installed it and replicated previous exercise and no rolling forward. So it seems to have fixed that problem . But as far as the original call out problems no answer/idea. AA brilliant though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.