Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Hope you can help. To my knowledge I have not activated any cruise control/minimum or maximum speed settings etc
BUT every now and then, for no reason at all, my car will just have a life of it's own and start speeding up. This is always in first or second gear
Last time I was on a school driveway and looked like I was trying to mow down small children and today it was as I pulled into an underground car park. I have my foot off the accelerator and can physically feel the car pulling as the speedometer goes up through the numbers.

Obviously I need to speak to the garage but I wanted to check that I wasn't being an idiot first!!!

As I say, it's not like I've switched something otherwise it's do it all the time!

I'm not going downhill either before anyone suggests that :D

Registered
Only had it as a part of cruise control. Worrying if it's something else.

Registered
Is your 'cruise control' fully off? If not you may be catching the 'resume' button on the steering wheel when turning causing the car to try and accelerate to pre-set speed. It is sometimes easy to forget to turn fully off as there are situations where it is temporarily disabled but waiting for 'resume' or 'off' and you forget to turn it fully off.
Just a thought, as I've done it...

Registered
I have this problem too. Its random but suddenly lurches forward when im crawling along in traffic then quick braking required to stop going into back of the car in front. Add this to mooing noise when braking in reverse and the seemingly common kangarooing at cold starts. Takes the shine off the whole new car experience.

Registered
TRoc&chips said:
I have this problem too. Its random but suddenly lurches forward when im crawling along in traffic then quick braking required to stop going into back of the car in front. Add this to mooing noise when braking in reverse and the seemingly common kangarooing at cold starts. Takes the shine off the whole new car experience.
Sorry to hear that. Not had the speeding up but have heard others who do.

What are your plans with it? Hoping they fix the kangaroo? Mine was too bad to keep, but others found theirs better. This speeding up does sound more of a worry though...

Registered
Hi TRoc&chips,

Only guessing here, but for some time now the accelerator function is an electrical signal sent from the pedal to the ECU. So there are several components which could be to blame.

More detail of the symtoms is required ... I've read statements of no revs which suggests something in the accelerator/throttle/ECU function rather than electric parking brake or auto-hold not releasing. A momentary engine/stop start might be involved but normally you would expect to feel or hear the engine starter kicking in, although that might not happen if the ignition system has been shut down for such a short time that the engine is still turning when the ignition is restored.

Another possibility if there are revs but no drive/movement could be related to a 'sticky' clutch release or an issue with a DSG box.

As I say, lots of possible scenarios for 'speeding up by itself' or lurching forward when crawling in traffic, and maybe not connected to the classic kangaroo symptom reported by most. Unfortunately intermittent problems such as this are hard to tie down and a common approach is trial and error, replacing the simplest components first. The logging systems aren't able to cover every possible fault.

Have you had your car in the workshop ? If not, then you need to book it in and be prepared for the possibility of several visits.

Registered
alfman said:
I too have the issue with the car speeding up by itself. I had it back at the dealers last week and was told the 'infamous' software update would solve the issue.
Not ideal...

Did they confirm they knew of the problem / did they test it or was it more of a "hope this is fixed by..." do you think?

Registered
They said they were aware of the issue. They said the issue seems to occur when the engine temp is below 70 degrees which makes sense because it only happens me from a cold start. They had no idea when the update would be released.

Registered
Car in for 12 month service today. Requested an investigation as to why my car occassionally speeds up on it's own when changing up from first to second gear without any use of the accelerator. In fact I am forced to brake hard.

Phone call received from the service centre advising me this "is normal activity with turbo charged engines and I need to be aware and adjust my driving style to take account of this". :roll:

Am I being fobbed off :?:

Registered
JAMCT said:
Car in for 12 month service today. Requested an investigation as to why my car occassionally speeds up on it's own when changing up from first to second gear without any use of the accelerator. In fact I am forced to brake hard.

Phone call received from the service centre advising me this "is normal activity with turbo charged engines and I need to be aware and adjust my driving style to take account of this". :roll:

Sounds like it.
Adjust your driving style how? Learn to drive faster? :lol:

Registered
JAMCT said:

'Normal activity'??? What a load of absolute rubbish. It is not normal for an engine to accelerate on its own and you having to brake hard when it does it.
This is a dangerous event that requires the dealer/VW to solve (but as we can guess, they can't - like the Roo). Tell them (and put it in writing) that it is unsafe and you want it fixing or a full refund as you consider it is a safety issue.

Registered
JAMCT said:

I think they're muddling up "turbo charged engine" with "a tank of NOS". It sounds like they don't actually know what a turbocharger is... Just about every car these days has a turbo and *none* of them cause the car to rapidly accelerate on its own :lol:

Registered
T Roo said:
JAMCT said:
I reckon you know the answer to that one :lol: .
It really is very poor when one of the biggest manufacturers in the world doesn't know how to fix its own cars!
The faults I am hearing on this car is really putting me off buying another VW.

Imagine if this fault appears on a driverless car, if it dosnt recognise it's a problem there will be a lot of crashes.

Registered
Clubchamp98 said:
It really is very poor when one of the biggest manufacturers in the world doesn't know how to fix its own cars!
The faults I am hearing on this car is really putting me off buying another VW.

Imagine if this fault appears on a driverless car, if it dosnt recognise it's a problem there will be a lot of crashes.
I think that VW will try to re-invent itself through its ID electric range and hope to put 'dieselgate' and 'roogate' behind it. Fortunately, neither scandal will be possible with EV's :mrgreen: .

Perhaps in developing the ID range, they've put less resource into maintaining their usual standards; certainly the T Roc's faults are something of an aberration.

If they can make the People's Car at a price that People can afford, I think the EV range will do well; the designs look brilliant and may save their rep. I hope so.

Registered
Although 'normal' is a strange answer I think they mean as designed.

I had this issue once at it was because when I changed to 2nd gear I was low on engine speed. In stead of hopping or that the engine is turned off it speeds up to stationary speed, but in my opinion it does it so aggressively you think it speeds up to 100km/h and i also stepped on the brake immediately with a little wtf moment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.