Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 2018 SE model, this model doesn’t have the eco, sport, normal mode, does anyone know if I could map my car so it’s in sport mode as I’m sure cars with the different modes have the same engines just the ability to change the power settings
Thanks
Paul

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
As far as I know, Sport mode doesn't alter the engine power. It changes the throttle to 'direct' and so makes it more responsive and on DSG cars it alters the gear change rpm so as to hold a lower gear for longer during hard acceleration. I think Sport mode might also alter (reduce ?) the power steering to give more feel.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,824 Posts
As far as I know, Sport mode doesn't alter the engine power. It changes the throttle to 'direct' and so makes it more responsive and on DSG cars it alters the gear change rpm so as to hold a lower gear for longer during hard acceleration. I think Sport mode might also alter (reduce ?) the power steering to give more feel.
I dislike the “sport” mode steering (now I remember that’s why I use Individual mode!) To me it just feels like the power steering is not working. VW do steering very well and I find the standard steering mode very responsive unlike a lot of rivals - even more so with the progressive steering functionality our R-lines are equipped with, which is an absolute must if I ever get another VAG car.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
I think Sport mode might also alter (reduce ?) the power steering to give more feel.
The only thing I've ever noticed about sport mode is the steering stays heavy when doing slow manoeuvres, not nice.
Not sure if there's a difference between T-roc's with normal power steering compared to T-roc's with progressive power steering 🤔🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, Sport mode doesn't alter the engine power. It changes the throttle to 'direct' and so makes it more responsive
so would there be anything that could be done to alter this on a vehicle without the function to change it ?
Paul

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
so would there be anything that could be done to alter this on a vehicle without the function to change it ?
Paul
Many 'optional' features can be activated by coding (OBD11 etc.). Don't know if Sport mode would be among those, but don't forget that the standard Sport mode is activated by the Mode switch on the centre console. If it was done by coding without having a switch then it would maybe have to be ON permanently unless you find how to add and wire a Mode switch.

Frankly I think you would be disappointed by the results ... it is not a 'go faster' button and if that is what you are after then you would be better getting the engine remapped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many 'optional' features can be activated by coding (OBD11 etc.). Don't know if Sport mode would be among those, but don't forget that the standard Sport mode is activated by the Mode switch on the centre console. If it was done by coding without having a switch then it would maybe have to be ON permanently unless you find how to add and wire a Mode switch.

Frankly I think you would be disappointed by the results ... it is not a 'go faster' button and if that is what you are after then you would be better getting the engine remapped.
Being a 1.5 I don’t need any more speed just a bit more pedal response at low revs

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Being a 1.5 I don’t need any more speed just a bit more pedal response at low revs
Ah ... now that can be coded all by itself and a good dealer might even do it for you for free during a service or perhaps you can find someone (friend or workshop) who can do it. If you are desperate, you could invest in your own OBD11 or Carista, especially if you would like to tweak other things.

There are 2 settings for the throttle behaviour - Normal (sometimes called gradual) and Direct (sometimes called sport).

Normal is the default and it is basically used to improve fuel economy by eliminating unnecessary throttle increases caused by 'normal' movement of your right foot on the throttle pedal while driving at 'constant' speed. These small movements aren't treated as throttle changes.

Direct basically works like an 'old fashioned' throttle cable where every movement of the pedal alters the throttle position, so it eliminates the lag and sometimes unresponsive feel of the Normal setting.

Do some searching for 'throttle response' on the forum or Google and you will find details of the coding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah ... now that can be coded all by itself and a good dealer might even do it for you for free during a service or perhaps you can find someone (friend or workshop) who can do it. If you are desperate, you could invest in your own OBD11 or Carista, especially if you would like to tweak other things.

There are 2 settings for the throttle behaviour - Normal (sometimes called gradual) and Direct (sometimes called sport).

Normal is the default and it is basically used to improve fuel economy by eliminating unnecessary throttle increases caused by 'normal' movement of your right foot on the throttle pedal while driving at 'constant' speed. These small movements aren't treated as throttle changes.

Direct basically works like an 'old fashioned' throttle cable where every movement of the pedal alters the throttle position, so it eliminates the lag and sometimes unresponsive feel of the Normal setting.

Do some searching for 'throttle response' on the forum or Google and you will find details of the coding.
I will do some research, thanks for your time
Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts