Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many new cars now have this feature, but why?
We know it allows the manufacturers to claim better mpg figures, but is it something we want?
There is a switch I can press to disable this function, but I have to remember to press it every time I start the engine.
Twice now, when I have forgotten to do this, while waiting at a busy road junction, when the time comes to accelerate out into the moving traffic, it has let me down - stalled the engine and left me a sitting target in the middle of a junction. My wife and I are lucky to still be alive.
Some people seem to like this function - well that is great.
As with other functions, you should be able to set this to default to being on or off in the menu.
But though I have raised this with VW, that they could make a simple change to their firmware, they refuse to do anything about it.
As with so many things in life, it is not until someone loses their life that anything gets done.
Am I the only one that hates this function.
The T-Roc generally I just love.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Personally I like the start/stop. I use it in conjunction with the auto hold and a press on the brakes at junctions holds the car and moving off is smooth from stop. Remember the engine and more importantly the clutch are rotating whilst at standstill without the start/stop being activated. Also a turn of the stering wheel starts the engine from stop.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I haven't got my T-Roc but start/stop works perfectly in my current car.
I don't get what you are explaining Steve, why does it stall when you pull away, the engine would have started when you press the clutch so pulling away shouldn't be affected.
Seems to me your car has a separate fault, what about the first gear judder/kangaroo issue discussed elsewhere on this forum?
You haven't said which engine you have, it's the 1.5 petrol with this problem I believe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It could be a problem with an Auto box, but with a manual the engine only stops when you put the car in neutral, so no problems pulling away as the engine starts when you put the clutch down to shift into first gear

·
Registered
13 Posts
Start/stop is the most idiotic function that engineers had to put in the vehicle to cope with emission limits.
It's bad for the engine in the long run. Constant internal temperature swings as it stops and restarts. Oil drops as the engine is stopped and takes a few rotations for the oil pump the get the oil in places where it's most needed (camshaft, cylinder walls, connecting rod bearing etc.).
Also a disaster for turbo which is oil cooled; no oil stream = no cooling.
Best thing to do is go to the dealer and get it disabled permanently (yes it is possible and it's a few minutes' job).
I will definitely get it disabled before my t-roc even leaves the showroom.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also like the stop start and it operates smoothly and has not caused myself or my wife any problems such as stalling
It's also nice to sit in silence when stopped for lengthy periods in my area at traffic lights.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I used stop/start without issue for 5 years on my previous car and without issue so far on this one. I'd say that people who diss it, claiming it wrecks the engine, are wrong. It's part of the engine's design, it's not like they just decided to add stop/start to an old fashioned engine and hope for the best. They'd get a shed load of warranty claims if it were true. Also the engine fires up almost instantly because when it stops it "parks" the cylinders in the best position for a restart, unlike when you actually switch it off.
No idea why yours has stalled though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
KembleSteve said:
That's reassuring to hear. Best of luck getting it disabled. Do let me know if you are successful.
When i was on a test drive we had a discussion about start/stop with the salesman. He confirmed that it's bad for the engine. Then I asked if they would be happy to permanently disable it in-house. He said they shouldn't officially do it but they in fact do it if customer asks.

Also there are tutorials on youtube on how to do it yourself using obd device and an android phone. The trick is changing a minimum voltage allowed for start-stop to kick-in from 11-something volts to 12-something volts so the ECU will never allow the system to stop the engine when stationary. It is also easily reversible i believe so no warranty is affected.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I use start/stop and have not had a problem with it.If you do not like or want to use it just press the off/on button its as easy as that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I thought, before I first drove mine I would be one of the haters. By the time I had gone 3 mile from the dealers I was quite happy with it and I had NOT been given any instructions on how and when or the way it worked. Now having covered over 300 miles I just don't think about it, When I see the traffic lights turn amber I press the clutch and it starts up and moves away without any problem. If you are in the middle of the crossroad you would not put it out of gear and foot off the clutch, so no problem there.The car is covered by a 3 years warrantee from new so why worry. If you are keeping it for longer, you will know well in advance the results of ware and tair and can then sort that problem, if it exists by then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Engines designed for start/stop operation do place considerable demand on the bearings, but strong crankshaft bearings are employed with polymer coating for lubrication, as the protective layer of oil is not present on starting. Also the starter motor design is beefed up to handle many starts over a car's lifetime.
A feature I like about the T-Roc's start/stop design is the way the engine restarts automatically when the car in front of me starts to move away in traffic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So all I have to do is take it to Slovenia and get these guys to disable it! :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have no idea from that youtube clip what they were doing ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
s clear as MUD. I for one would like to stop it all together. I now find myself sitting with my foot on the clutch more than ever in the past.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts