Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, question from Holland. 2019 1.5 Sport edition, 45000km. (red calipers & white accents on chairs). Sometimes when the weather is cold (freezing) and when starting the engine the heather blow damp against the screen witch will be ice within a second and it will take some time to defrost. Sometimes the screen is already frozen on the inside before the start. The latter is normal with older cars without an airco but i never had that with my former cars with airco. Dealer checked the airco system but says there are no problems found. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Sounds like the interior has excess moisture. You could try driving with a window down slightly for the last few miles to let damp air escape, and avoid driving with air recirculation for any length of time.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
1,722 Posts
I had that problem last year and as Impala says, it’s usually water from your shoes soaking into the carpet/mats and then evaporating and condensing on the inside of the screen, then freezing. I solved it by getting the cabin nice and hot on a half hour trip and then opening all the windows for a few minutes to let it all out.

I now drive with AC on at all times during the winter (set to 20) and so far it hasn’t come back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the interior has excess moisture. You could try driving with a window down slightly for the last few miles to let damp air escape, and avoid driving with air recirculation for any length of time.
Thank's Impala, I checked all carpets but all are dry. I will follow your advice to open the window a bit and see what will happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had that problem last year and as Impala says, it’s usually water from your shoes soaking into the carpet/mats and then evaporating and condensing on the inside of the screen, then freezing. I solved it by getting the cabin nice and hot on a half hour trip and then opening all the windows for a few minutes to let it all out.

I now drive with AC on at all times during the winter (set to 20) and so far it hasn’t come back.
Thank's Twist, everything in the footwells is dry, i checked that but there is indeed the possibility that the moisture of the wet foot will damp into yhe car and when the car cools down it wil condensate on de the window. I allways drive with the airco on, summer and winter. I will follow your and Impala's advice to open a window for the last few miles and see what happens.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Happens to mine all winter, sometimes the inside screen is very wet.
My last Nissan X-Trail was the same, both with air-conditioning.

Always thought the theory of warmer air hitting a cold surface caused condensation?

Luckily there's not much frost in the UK 👌

I placed one of those household anti-condensation (moisture absorbant crystals) containers in my T-roc last year & found it worked.

Reactions: dan.nl

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG
1,722 Posts

Always thought the theory of warmer air hitting a cold surface caused condensation?

I placed one of those household anti-condensation (moisture absorbant crystals) containers in my T-roc last year & found it worked.
Yep, hot air holds moisture better but then the moisture condenses when it hits the cold window and subsequently freezes once the cabin temp drops.

I also keep one of the giant silica bags on the dashboard. Definitely works because there’s always a circle of no condensation as if someone has wiped the inside of the windscreen where the bag is sitting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Done that years ago, put the basket under the passenger seat. Then a passenger on the rear seat hit it with size 12. Big mess with all that stuf and water. Some years ago i dismantled a Cherokee and was amazed about all de water droplets hanging on the underside of the roof. Roof was badly rusted on the iside too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clogged pollen filters cause condensation problems. I suggest you check the condition of yours, better still just replace it.
I replace the pollenfilter every year when the car goes in for the anual service. 2nd week of januari its planned. Thank's for the tip.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have rubber mats on top of my carpet mats sepcifically for trapping water, or snow when we get any, then if it's bad I lift out the rubber mats and empty the water out. It's surprising how long the water will remain on the rubber mats without emptying, so this is what will soak into the carpets.

Reactions: dan.nl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Years ago I always had this problem with older cars. If you can run a mains cable to the car then a fan heater left on for a few hours will sort it for a week or three!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi folks, question from Holland. 2019 1.5 Sport edition, 45000km. (red calipers & white accents on chairs). Sometimes when the weather is cold (freezing) and when starting the engine the heather blow damp against the screen witch will be ice within a second and it will take some time to defrost. Sometimes the screen is already frozen on the inside before the start. The latter is normal with older cars without an airco but i never had that with my former cars with airco. Dealer checked the airco system but says there are no problems found. Anyone?
I always leave the heating in the auto position so the air con is on and have never experienced the problem you described .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always leave the heating in the auto position so the air con is on and have never experienced the problem you described .
Thank's for the reply John, it only happens when it is below freezing point. Last week the car visited the dealer for his anual service check and they checked the airco system and replaced the pollen filter and now we are waiting for some real winter to see what happens. I alway's have the airco on auto, just like you said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts