Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. Picked up my new t roc on Monday and quickly noticed the steering wheel is very slightly off center to the left when driving in a straight line. When I hold the steering wheel level and straight the car is going off to the right slightly it's like the steering wheel is not aligned with the front wheels. It's booked in to the main dealer but I'm worried it can't be rectified or I get the car back in a worse condition, it doesn't pull to one side or anything neither. Can anyone help shed some expertise on this and check if you're t roc has this too. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Very easy for the dealer to do. They will clamp the steering wheel in the dead ahead position and perform some adjustments on the steering under the car, I have had this over the years, when you get the steering checked for tyre ware, say on the outside of NSF tyre. They now do this with lasers. This will check for toe in, caster, and camber angles. I hopes this makes you feel a lot happier. Don't worry they will sort it no probs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply, I hope so it's such a small amount off center but affects the car steering in a straight line. When I center the steering wheel on a straight road it's going off to the right, turn it to it's resting position which is slightly off center to the left and it drives straight. Any ideas how this could have happened and also what are any one else's like driving in a straight line.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Some one had not ensured a straight line ahead had been set with the tyres on the floor before clamping the steering wheel in the dead ahead position, I suspect. This is now more difficult to muck up now with laser setting all 4 wheels, which is using a computer.

This happened to me about 10 years ago while having a couple of new front tyres fitted. I was told it needed tracking, and he would throw it in free of charge. I think he was looking for practice, as he made the car worse than it had been before. Like you the straight ahead driving had the stetting wheel to one side. He regretted it in the end because he had to do it three times before it was right. That was at National Tyres, never went back after it was sorted.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Easy fix, don't worry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our new T-Roc back in May had exactly the same problem,off centre steering wheel,took it back to the dealer who tried to fob me off by telling me there was no problem,however after 40 years of motoring I'm very competent with cars &wheel alignment so after booking it in Suprise surprise it came back perfect, ( no problem yeah right!!!) my advice,get it back to your dealer & insist they check the tracking ,they should have done it before handover anyway.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine is the same. Just requires track rod ends adjusted with steering wheel clamped in straigt position. It is on my radar when it goes in for a new drivers door mirror (creaking noise). Bad alignment at factory but should have been picked up at PDI by dealer. Perhaps the dealer should issue a list to the customer confirming what they have checked on the PDI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts