Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
My T-Roc is on only 2000km and strange knocking noise appear on the right side(passenger side).
It appear when I go over small road bumps(not always) with 40km/h+.
When bump is on the right wheel, sound is louder, when bump is on the left wheel, sound is weaker, but always heard from right side.
It sounds like something plastic knock from right door, or between the 2 doors, or something plastic under the car around the door.
VW dealer said that suspension is totally fine and suggest to wait for now until knocking start to appear more often, but for me it is very annoying for a new car.
T-Roc.mp4

Any ideas?

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
I've never heard of that one before 🤷‍♂️
I guess it's a job for the dealer, who didn't sound to helpful the first time around. 😏

·
Registered
TRoc R Line Ravenna Blue
15 Posts
Hello,
My T-Roc is on only 2000km and strange knocking noise appear on the right side(passenger side).
It appear when I go over small road bumps(not always) with 40km/h+.
When bump is on the right wheel, sound is louder, when bump is on the left wheel, sound is weaker, but always heard from right side.
It sounds like something plastic knock from right door, or between the 2 doors, or something plastic under the car around the door.
VW dealer said that suspension is totally fine and suggest to wait for now until knocking start to appear more often, but for me it is very annoying for a new car.
T-Roc.mp4

Any ideas?
Listened to the recording 3 times !!!! Try again with someone else driving and you in the passenger seat to see if it becomes clearer. I assume its nothing obvious like a loose item in the glove box or the door pockets

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
I didn't even notice the mp4 attachment 🙈🤷‍♂️😂

Dodgy shock absorber?

Sounds quite rhythmical.

I take it the dealership took it for a test drive?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My initial suspicions were of a shock absorber, but dealer said that they are okay and to wait it to become more frequent, cause suspension looks fine and it is heard only when there is a bump on specific places on the road, when going in a hole -> no problem...
After 10 days I booked tyre changing and second shot for this annoying knock.

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
There are a few reports in this forum about a noise originating from the rear seat latch (es), especially on the right side. Might be worth doing some searches, and perhaps try the car with the rear seat backrest folded forward.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hard to tell from the sound recording, it may be worth checking the rear door seals, if you haven’t done, prise them out a little, also worth checking the hinges on rear the doors to ensure the bolts are fully tight and there’s no movement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard to tell from the sound recording, it may be worth checking the rear door seals, if you haven’t done, prise them out a little, also worth checking the hinges on rear the doors to ensure the bolts are fully tight and there’s no movement.
Just check every bolt on right side, all are fully tight, seals looks fine too. It should be something outside, I hope that dealer will find it. I hope that car is safe and it is not something not fully tight in suspension.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hope you get it sorted, occasionally they disappear, I’ve had a couple of unusual rattles, on one of my previous Golfs gravel was trapped in the plastic covers that protected the under side of car and and a lose heat shield on the exhaust drove me mad for weeks until I discovered it was the culprit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Common issue discussed on the forum some time ago - might be what you have...?
It's to do with the folding rear seat latch. Solution (which worked for me and others) is to wrap a few turns of electric insulation tape around the silver latch loop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Common issue discussed on the forum some time ago - might be what you have...?
It's to do with the folding rear seat latch. Solution (which worked for me and others) is to wrap a few turns of electric insulation tape around the silver latch loop.
Nope, that was the first that I turned it off

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update from VW dealer.
They think that it is from backlash brake caliper on front right wheel and they want to change, but for me it is not, cause when press the break, knock is still there.
I read forums for other VWs, where there is explanation for door/window seals knock. I try with passanger side door window down, and knock is gone... So I think it is something like that, but don't know what exactly...

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Update from VW dealer.
They think that it is from backlash brake caliper on front right wheel and they want to change, but for me it is not, cause when press the break, knock is still there.
I read forums for other VWs, where there is explanation for door/window seals knock. I try with passanger side door window down, and knock is gone... So I think it is something like that, but don't know what exactly...
Perhaps a loose electric window mechanism or guide channel ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried a little experiment, while going through one small bump, where that knock is heard every time, I pull passanger door handle with full power to me and knock is gone(windows closed), so definitely it is something in the door.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,824 Posts
I tried a little experiment, while going through one small bump, where that knock is heard every time, I pull passanger door handle with full power to me and knock is gone(windows closed), so definitely it is something in the door.
How long are your arms?! 🤔

1 - 20 of 38 Posts