Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will be changing my 2019 190ps Sport in October I am trying to decide upon a fully spec'd Style 150ps or go for the 190ps R Line with a few spec cuts here and there to keep costs reasonable. Any thoughts? What is the Style 150ps like to drive?

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
818 Posts
Hi,

I will be changing my 2019 190ps Sport in October I am trying to decide upon a fully spec'd Style 150ps or go for the 190ps R Line with a few spec cuts here and there to keep costs reasonable. Any thoughts? What is the Style 150ps like to drive?
You're just really talking about the performance then?
The 1.5 is certainly quick enough & there's probably very little difference between the 2L & 1.5L considering the extra weight of the 2L & also the 4motion system.
If you definitely need 4wd in your country through the winter then go for the 2L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're just really talking about the performance then?
The 1.5 is certainly quick enough & there's probably very little difference between the 2L & 1.5L considering the extra weight of the 2L & also the 4motion system.
If you definitely need 4wd in your country through the winter then go for the 2L.
Cheers. I definitely do not need 4wd, I only took the 4wd in 2019 as it came with the 190ps model and I was impressed with the power of that model. But I briefly drove the 150ps Sel (?) model at the time, and it seemed fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
Cheers. I definitely do not need 4wd, I only took the 4wd in 2019 as it came with the 190ps model and I was impressed with the power of that model. But I briefly drove the 150ps Sel (?) model at the time, and it seemed fine.
In that case you should go for a 1.5L but why go for a low spec trim and load it with options ? Such an approach is seldom value for money as the options are generally overpriced and the extra cost will never be recovered at resale.

If having every gizmo under the sun at an affordable price is your aim, then you should look for another brand which provides more kit as standard. If the styling of the T-Roc is a priority, why not go for a 1.5L R-Line and add a few extras that are really worthwhile having and you could do that for less than the cost of the 2L R-Line if the 4WD is not needed, and it has the advantage of less weight and more space in the boot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In that case you should go for a 1.5L but why go for a low spec trim and load it with options ? Such an approach is seldom value for money as the options are generally overpriced and the extra cost will never be recovered at resale.

If having every gizmo under the sun at an affordable price is your aim, then you should look for another brand which provides more kit as standard. If the styling of the T-Roc is a priority, why not go for a 1.5L R-Line and add a few extras that are really worthwhile having and you could do that for less than the cost of the 2L R-Line if the 4WD is not needed, and it has the advantage of less weight and more space in the boot.

Thanks Impala,

Your approach makes sense and I will also look into the 1.5L R Line. Key things I need:

DSG
Lane Assist & Light Assist (warning light prior to overtaking)
Parking sensors front and rear + rear camera
Heated front seats and steering wheel
Auto climate control
App Connect
Keyless entry and automatic boot open/close
Discover Media (8 inch screen)
Leather seats (potentially)
Black packet (potentially)
Not convinced if the IQ Light pack is needed. Seems expensive.

Cheers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure if ride comfort is important to you but don’t forget that the R line comes with larger wheels with lower profile tyres. That means a less compliant bumpier ride and also significantly more expensive tyres when it comes time to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
Not sure if ride comfort is important to you but don’t forget that the R line comes with larger wheels with lower profile tyres...
I believe that varies by country ... not all countries fit the 19" wheels on the R-Line. @peterg appears to be in Germany, based on the flag shown and which is derived from the IP adress, so that is something that needs to be checked.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
818 Posts
I believe that varies by country ... not all countries fit the 19" wheels on the R-Line. @peterg appears to be in Germany, based on the flag shown and which is derived from the IP adress, so that is something that needs to be checked.
The German & UK R-line come with 17" alloys as standard, the facelift model that is 👌

Reactions: peterg and Impala

·
Super Moderator
2,755 Posts
The German & UK R-line come with 17" alloys as standard, the facelift model that is 👌
Good point @Vernerbongo2 ... I'd forgotten that anyone buying a new T-Roc now will most likely get the facelift model.

Not only does the new R-Line have 17" wheels, the tyres are 215/55 so a much higher sidewall providing a softer ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if ride comfort is important to you but don’t forget that the R line comes with larger wheels with lower profile tyres. That means a less compliant bumpier ride and also significantly more expensive tyres when it comes time to replace them.
I actually have 17" wheels just now on the Sport, but admittedly they are not low profile.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I actually have 17" wheels just now on the Sport, but admittedly they are not low profile.
I have 215x55x17 Bridgestone on my Active model. Smooth ride and absorbs most bumps, but I don't have sport or adjustable suspension settings.

Reactions: peterg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point @Vernerbongo2 ... I'd forgotten that anyone buying a new T-Roc now will most likely get the facelift model.

Not only does the new R-Line have 17" wheels, the tyres are 215/55 so a much higher sidewall providing a softer ride.
Yes, and I would intend to stick with the 17" wheels. Good spot that I am in Germany. That is why I took the 4wd in 2019, but the winters in Munich have not been as bad as I suspected!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decisions, decisions.... I will have a test drive in a 150ps tomorrow then I need to decide. Go with a 150ps R Line or take the 190ps R Line. I am clearly verging towards the former unless there are any surprises tomorrow. And I would save at least €5k. Wish me luck. Oh one quick question ... are the parking sensors now standard on all trocs? I forgot to order them last time around on the Sport model. Cheers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I bought my 2.0 tsi Sport in Spain it came as standard with front and back parking sensors reversing camera and keyless entry it’s a 2021 model year. i like the 4 wheel drive system it stops all that wheel scrabbling and bunny hopping when one of the front wheels can’t keep traction.
who takes a T-Roc off road it mainly stabilises the car and stops wheel spin when execrating in the wet. You also get fully independent rear suspension that the non 4 wheel drive models don’t get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Hi PeterG, you may wish to consider that the R Line has haptic buttons on the steering wheel whereas the Style has proper tactile buttons. Many people (including myself) find the tactile buttons to be far superior and easier to use than the haptic buttons.
It’s odd that VW now uses the inferior haptic buttons in its most expensive models, whereas cheaper models get the better physical tactile buttons. The haptic buttons may be prettier to look at but they can be an absolute pain to use while driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts