Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even with all other lights on the Sport version being LED equipped, are the front fog lights still old fashioned halogen bulbs. So far they seem pretty useless with a clearly dim and yellowish light compared to everything else.

There are no specifications of the actual bulbs used in the manual, so:

Does anyone know which bulbs are used?

Are there any direct replacement bulbs with a decent light output? Maybe either Philips or Osram super halogens or a direct replacement LED?

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's poor, eh?! I've had Osram Nightbreakers and some Philips as headlight bulbs with good results but they don't last long. Are they easy to swap themselves in the T-Roc? I am not sure that they are "strong" enough for a fog light tho. Might be worth checking with your dealer

·
Registered
29 Posts
The bulbs are a H8 for the fog lights, I change mine with a 6000k LED and now looks a little bit nicer, still didn't use it on foggy weather.

Totally recommend to change it, not only for looks, also to improve the cornering illumination.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm also annoyed with the yellowish front fog lights.

Can anyone suggest me the whitest halogen H8 bulb I can put in my T-roc?

I know that the LED bulbs are probably better but then I have to put some kind of resistor, and I'm don't have lots of electrical knowledge and besides that I don't wan't to mess with my new vehicle. And I usually don't have any fog where I live so the halogen bulbs will be enough for using as a cornering light. Thank you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use either Osram or Philips. They both have a selection of H8 bulbs in different intensities and also LED's, which I THINK have the resistors built in.

Stay away from off-brand bulbs, as the filaments are not necessarily in the most accurate location in the bulb.

If anyone have tried the LED's, I would like to hear of the results, thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
From VW UK in reply to question about fog lights:-

Thank you for your recent contact regarding your Volkswagen T-Roc SEL.

It was with concern that I noted your comments regarding certain aspects of the design of your Volkswagen vehicle. I would like to apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience this may have caused.

Considerable market research is completed during the design of any vehicle and it is always helpful to receive such feedback as customer acceptance is crucial in the success of our products.

As you may appreciate, it may take some time for designs to be improved and for those improvements to be implemented. Such improvements are often made on the basis of customer comments. I have therefore passed your views back to our Product Marketing Team, so this may have a direct impact on the current process

I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact Volkswagen UK and providing us with an opportunity to respond.

Kind regards

·
Registered
451 Posts
Craigelsx said:
Any know whats involved in changing fogs? Went to a garage today but they had never done a fog light replacement on t roc so wouldn't touch it
Have you tried the owners handbook ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Search on this website for led fog lamps or fog lights. There is a post by siggi gunda showing how to change them to led. A few of us here have done it & it's very easy, literally a 10 min job. I bought mine from eBay for £12 a pair as they include the resistors & you don't get any canbus errors on the dashboard. The fogs now match the white led headlights perfectly

·
Registered
451 Posts
Newtroconthebloc said:
Craigelsx said:
Any know whats involved in changing fogs? Went to a garage today but they had never done a fog light replacement on t roc so wouldn't touch it
Have you tried the owners handbook ?
Page 234

·
Registered
428 Posts
CJD said:
Search on this website for led fog lamps or fog lights. There is a post by siggi gunda showing how to change them to led. A few of us here have done it & it's very easy, literally a 10 min job. I bought mine from eBay for £12 a pair as they include the resistors & you don't get any canbus errors on the dashboard. The fogs now match the white led headlights perfectly
CJD, I've just read that you'd changed your front fog lamps to LED yourself and was hoping you could give me some advice?
Did you use the same lamps as siggi gunda 'cos I've bought the same ones?
Don't know what model 'Roc you have but I'm having grief removing the trim around the lamp :( :( .... I have an R-line and can start the removal process using the hook but, as the whole corner needs to come away, it seems very stubborn as you near the wheel arch trim as it appears to go behind it. Is it just a matter of giving it an old fashioned tug or is there a more subtle way of persuading it out? :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I always thought the reason fog lights were slightly yellow was to see through the fog better than your headlights 🤔

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Swsgm30
Yes you do need to use a bit of brute force to really yank the plastic casing out with the metal hook thing. Once you get that part out just gently continue to pull & lever the casing almost as if your peeling it away towards the corner. Then you'll need the torx screwdriver to release the 2 very visible screws & the lamp unit pops forwards & slides out from its inner mount. The bulbs then detach from the wiring & release from the lamp unit with half a turn.
Re fitting is a pig because you have to literally push the small splines/ wings on the plastic housing cover into place around the lamp unit & bumper to make it go in. Start by inserting the outer edge then really pay attention & as you start to push it shut slowly, push the lugs/ wings into the little appature/recess for them which are really difficult to see unless your looking for it.
This is really the worst part & frustrating because the housing will not fully sit flush & pops open if you don't get this bit right. Took me an hour and a half to figure the first side out & took me 3 mins to fit the other side 😂

1 - 20 of 32 Posts