Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
blimey, glad i noticed this post - i'm just about to order SE spec and hadn't realised it doesn't come with fogs as standard (bit weird, i mean normally SE means lots of kit?!)

i'd see the option for "fogs with cornering function" but i'd assumed that meant the addition of the cornering function to the fogs, not the actual fogs themselves! I'll be adding that to my order before it goes in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
At the risk of slight thread drift, can anyone enlighten me as to what front fog lights are supposed to do - other than annoy other drivers?

I have yet to drive in any conditions where they have been useful. But maybe that is just me...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hafman I completely agree with you. Whenever I have switched on fog lights in conditions that are foggy or misty they have not been of any help whatsoever. Again and again I have tried them but always ended up switching them off as useless. So it's not just you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used my fog lights in very bad before.
Three times in fact, in over 20 years of driving!

So yes, I totally agre, all they really do is annoy other drivers.
Always thought there should be a law that means fog lights turn off every time the engine turns off, then muppets wouldn't accidentally leave them on for months.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree that most foglight use is by dorks, who think they look smart in daylight. The T-Roc fogs are pretty Well flat light, lover than the near beams, so should not be annoying to other drivers.

They are useful in tight quarters, where they light an area close and to both sides. On the other hand, the H8 bulbs are dim and yellowish, and should be replaced With LED's like the rest of the lights.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Fog light need to be low intensity, because the high power that you are asking for would simply reflect off the water droplets (which is what fog is) and cause glair back to the driver, thus reducing the view ahead. Properly fitted fog lights give a more dim light and a flat toped beam, so as to light as low as possible under the fog and, stop, as far as possible the glair back problem which is the cause of poor visibility.

As an exercise. Try putting on your headlights in foggy conditions, then, switch them off, and put on the fog lights. You will see the kerb and a little way ahead and enough to drive at the speed you SHOULD be driving at in those conditions. We all to often see drivers doing 50, 60 or even 70MPH in fog with headlights on or even on full beam. They are guessing what is up in front of them, and that is why you get multiple crashes, as in the Dartford Bridge crash a few years ago.

I sometimes think some people can see around corners, the way they drive. As they can't stop in their seeing distance, and hit something in front of them they didn't have a chance to miss. I am sorry if this all seems to be a bit of a lecture but, this is all derived from common sense.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My T-Roc is the first car I have brought for years without Fog Lights. I thought I never used them in my old cars, so why bother having them. I haven't missed them so far :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got the T-ROC sel with fog lights & whilst I'll rarely use them in fog I really find the cornering lamp function makes a big difference to visibility as your turning. I previously had a golf gtd which came with led cornering fogs as standard & they gave a far superior light whilst cornering to the T-roc's halogen cornering fogs which emit a yellowish light. I'm now trying to source led bulbs to replace the halogen. I note from the above comments that this may make them less functional as fog lights due to glare but I used the golfs led fogs in fog a couple of times & had no issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not that I use them, but we ordered a design and added the fog lights as optional purely because the car looks better with them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.