Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a vw t-roc 1.5 tsi se 2021 in September and was told it had sat navigation system, but when I pressed the Nav button it says connect to shop, so I got in touch with garage they said I would have to purchase the sat navigation but I have seen sd cards on the Internet for for vw satellite navigation systems, what I want to know can I purchase one of these and just put it in the slot and it works or have vw got to activate it, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Billy What year is your T roc Is it 21 or was bought in 21?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have bought a vw t-roc 1.5 tsi se 2021 in September and was told it had sat navigation system, but when I pressed the Nav button it says connect to shop, so I got in touch with garage they said I would have to purchase the sat navigation but I have seen sd cards on the Internet for for vw satellite navigation systems, what I want to know can I purchase one of these and just put it in the slot and it works or have vw got to activate it, thanks in advance.
Hi Billy,
If you have a 2021 T-Roc, then the you will have an MIB3 infotainment system. This does NOT use SD cards. SD cards held satnav information for earlier infotainment systems. I doubt whether you actually have any SD card slots. You might think you have, in the glovebox, but if these are like mine, they are just "dummy" slots.
Looks like you might need to buy the satnav system, which is then downloaded onto your MIB3 system.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Hi Billy.

Can you first clarify a few things ... you say you bought your car in September, but was it brand new, pre-owned or an ex-demo. If it was new, I assume this was not a factory order and was dealer from stock, but who told you it had Sat Nav, was it a VW dealer, other car salesman or previous owner, and did they perhaps say it was Sat Nav 'Ready', which is what the message you get when pressing the Nav button suggests.

Earlier cars either had Sat Nav fitted as standard equipment or added as a factory option, so there was little or no possibility (except for v. keen enthusiasts) to retro-fit Sat Nav as it required a complete replacement of the infotainment system head unit. Newer car are now all fitted with the same infotainment head unit and hence they now all have a Nav button, but only higher spec trims, or those where a factory option has been specified, actually have working Sat Nav and all the others are Sat Nav Ready, meaning they can be upgraded by owners after purchase.

What you get from the VW shop is essentially a license key which you would enter in the car to unlock the Sat Nav Ready system, but before you spend that sort of money you need to consider if you were misled and hence may have a claim against the seller.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Billy,
If you have a 2021 T-Roc, then the you will have an MIB3 infotainment system. This does NOT use SD cards. SD cards held satnav information for earlier infotainment systems. I doubt whether you actually have any SD card slots. You might think you have, in the glovebox, but if these are like mine, they are just "dummy" slots.
Looks like you might need to buy the satnav system, which is then downloaded onto your MIB3 system.
Thanks, yes it is a 21 reg and they do look like dummy slots, Thanks for the information I think I will just use the navigation through my phone as I think that the price to purchase it is very expensive

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks, yes it is a 21 reg and they do look like dummy slots, Thanks for the information I think I will just use the navigation through my phone as I think that the price to purchase it is very expensive
I would be very annoyed if I had been told it had sat nav and then found on delivery it hadn't , do you have it in writing that it had sat nav , you would have been charged for that so would be entitled to compensation or a retro fit . Doesn't sound like a very good dealer anyway !

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would be very annoyed if I had been told it had sat nav and then found on delivery it hadn't , do you have it in writing that it had sat nav , you would have been charged for that so would be entitled to compensation or a retro fit . Doesn't sound like a very good dealer anyway !

Yes as someone who thought mine had Sat Nav as standard I too wasn't very happy when it popped up and said go to the shop.

As John boy and Impala has said if you have it in writing that it was included then you need to go back to the dealer and get it, as you will have been charged at least £470 for it (that was the rate in the VW shop back in December)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
This isn't the first time people have been caught out like this and it won't be the last.

The way that VW describe their cars as Sat Nav Ready is confusing and potentially against trades description regs. as most people will interpret this as meaning the Sat Nav is ready to use, which of course it isn't. It's time VW started to make it much clearer which models/trims actually have working Sat Nav included in the price.

Reactions: the technician

·
Registered
552 Posts
The way that VW describe their cars as Sat Nav Ready is confusing and potentially against trades description regs.
Yes, the sat-nav shouldn't be mentioned in a model's specifications at all unless it's standard & it's definitely misleading otherwise.
If it's not standard put it on the options list only.

At minimum, the vw salesman should make the customer aware if its not standard on the particular model the customer is interested in. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 9 of 9 Posts