Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, shield is part of the light. Both mine (left and right) have the shield fitted. Typically these shields are a glare minimisation measure - the intent being that for low intensity lamps like fog lights, no direct view of the filament should be allowed. This reduces the overall intensity of the lamps output by reducing the likelihood of "point brightness" for want of a better term... Ideal for fog lights.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The shield orientation is not obvious from the photo, but I imagine it has to be top or bottom. If it was left or right it would surely interfere with the static cornering lights, unless of course one side was left and the other right :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I ordered the osram led H8 bulbs I was surprised that it says for off road use only on the box. When I checked LED bulbs don’t have ECE approval. I find this very strange so I have sent them back to Amazon.
looking it up cars in the U.K. can fail the MOT if they are fitted.
I live in Spain and use of items that were not fitted to your car originally can lead to fines and void your insurance. You can’t even change the size of your tyres from standard fitment ie the ones that were on your car when delivered.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I ordered the osram led H8 bulbs I was surprised that it says for off road use only on the box. When I checked LED bulbs don’t have ECE approval. I find this very strange so I have sent them back to Amazon.
looking it up cars in the U.K. can fail the MOT if they are fitted.
I live in Spain and use of items that were not fitted to your car originally can lead to fines and void your insurance. You can’t even change the size of your tyres from standard fitment ie the ones that were on your car when delivered.
Crap… will I need to put my standard ones back in for my MOT in 2 years? I kept the old ones just in case but it was a bit of a pain swapping them for the Night Eyes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Crap… will I need to put my standard ones back in for my MOT in 2 years? I kept the old ones just in case but it was a bit of a pain swapping them for the Night Eyes.
In Northern Ireland our Mot's are done by a government body which is strict.
In my previous X-Trail they've never checked the foglights.
Also a few manufacturers are now fitting led foglights as standard.

I don't like the system on the mainland, it leaves things open for ripping people off & on the other hand putting cars through with a wink & a nod 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: twist

·
Registered
231 Posts
If they're manufacturer designed LED's that's fine, the beam pattern has been designed for the light source. The trouble with converting after market is the reflectors haven't been designed with the bulbs being put in and can produce dangerous light patterns.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If they're manufacturer designed LED's that's fine, the beam pattern has been designed for the light source. The trouble with converting after market is the reflectors haven't been designed with the bulbs being put in and can produce dangerous light patterns.
Yes very true 👌

21 - 28 of 28 Posts