Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R-Line Polo TSI Black Pearl (5 speed petrol)
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, does anyone know of a decent mod for the tailgate struts? I'm thinking about going for a mod to lift the tailgate with beefier struts that doesn't require electrical connections. I've seen sprung loaded kits and stuff that Emerald have done to various cars, but they don't currently do one for the T-Roc. Anyone out there know someone who makes such a thing? I thought it would make a nice relatively cheaper upgrade. When I actually get my hands on it!:LOL:

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
898 Posts
I've never heard of upgrading gas struts for the boot lid 🤔
I'm happy with the originals 👌

I've heard of members installing a bonnet gas strut though 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an idea instead of spending on an aftermarket electric retro fit. I imagined it would be OK to get the tailgate to lift mechanically with some extra help from modified struts.🤔

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bad idea it would be too heavy to pull down again

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad you've said that. I just wanted to explore the possibility. If the tailgate is really as heavy as you all say it is then I'll not bother. If it requires that much extra welly to clear the latching then it will be doubly hard to close. Thanks guys.😉👍

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad you've said that. I just wanted to explore the possibility. If the tailgate is really as heavy as you all say it is then I'll not bother. If it requires that much extra welly to clear the latching then it will be doubly hard to close. Thanks guys.😉👍
Question is - why did VW remove the option of a powered tailgate? Used to be an option and as we get older a powered tailgate gets more important. My wife would not be able to reach up and pull it down because of back problems so a powered tailgate is a must for us. VW say “it is likely to be an option in the future”!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
It got pulled along with the Matrix LED lights back in March.
I guess it’s all to do with limited supply of microprocessors - even if you order a car now you can’t guarantee it will be delivered with the spec that you ordered. Not sure when this will be sorted out but makes me think twice about buying a new car at the moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The lack of a powered tailgate IS a dealbreaker for us. Went to the local VW dealer to try/buy, but my 5' wife (it would be her car) cannot reach the open tailgate. Even the positioning of the tailgate close button is out of reach (although the tailgate opening can be programmed). Dealer did full check and found no T rocs available with this option. So it's off to buy another Honda.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The lack of a powered tailgate IS a dealbreaker for us. Went to the local VW dealer to try/buy, but my 5' wife (it would be her car) cannot reach the open tailgate. Even the positioning of the tailgate close button is out of reach (although the tailgate opening can be programmed). Dealer did full check and found no T rocs available with this option. So it's off to buy another Honda.
Which Honda model are you looking at? We are in exactly the same position as you and now wondering what car to buy. HR-V??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which Honda model are you looking at? We are in exactly the same position as you and now wondering what car to buy. HR-V??
Yes, the HR-V. My wife has had one for the last 4 years and it’s been brilliant! I have a Golf GTI Performance which I’m selling and thought of giving the T roc a go, but the tailgate’s a total dealbreaker. Only problem is that there’s a waiting list
Can you not use the tailgate button on the fob to open and close it?
Can you not use the tailgate button on the fob to open and close it?
Powered tailgate no longer available- that’s why it’s a dealbreaker. If you have an older model with the powered tailgate there is a workaround. VW are now losing customers because of powered tailgate unavailability on new T rocs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems there is a waiting list for virtually every car now. 9-12 months not unusual.
T rocs don't seem too bad - was offered immediate delivery, but no powered tailgate available anywhere - not being made at the moment it appears, so having to look elsewhere. Shame, the white R-line they had available looked great ...

·
Super Moderator
2,826 Posts
... VW are now losing customers because of powered tailgate unavailability on new T rocs.
They seem not too bothered by the loss of sales as they make up more than that through sky high pricing in the UK and supplying vehicles without the equipment buyers believed was standard at time of order.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2
1 - 17 of 17 Posts