Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would much prefer a T- Roc on first impressions but my budget is very tight (!)

Perhaps a silly question, but could members with more technical knowledge than myself advise me how much inferior the Seat Arona is, compared to the TRoc.

I know enough that the manufacturers are under the same umbrella, but that is about as far as my engineering knowledge goes.

Has anybody test driven both?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not driven the Arona, so not able to commment from direct experience. Arona is built on the VW MQB 0 platform - like the Polo, whereas the T-Roc is built on the MQB 1 platform, like the Golf, Tiguan, Skoda Karoq and Kodiac. I am assuming that the T-Roc is likely the smallest vehicle on that platform, and as it is fit to support rather large 4Motion vehicles, like the Kodiac, maybe more stout and stiffer than the smaller platform.

Having said that, the Arona has received many good remarks, but is generally a bit smaller then the T-Roc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have test driven both, the Arona 1.0 DSG, and the T-Roc 1.5 EVO DSG. I have just placed an order for the T-ROC. I have to say that the Arona really impressed me on the test drive, as the one litre engine did not appear to be lacking in any way. It was an enjoyable drive. It's a very good car, as the various reviews that you will find online will testify. I preferred the T-Roc mainly because I do a regular motorway 400 mile round trip and I felt that the larger engine would be better equipped for this. I need an automatic gearbox, and the larger 1.5 engine is only currently available in the Arona with a manual gearbox. The T-Roc is more expensive, but not dramatically so. For me it's the better choice. The T-Roc is a larger car than the Arona, as others have said being based on the Golf platform, whereas the Arona is built on the smaller Polo platform. If the smaller car / engine suits your purpose and requirements (or you choose the larger engine with manual gearbox) I don't think you would go far wrong if you chose the Arona.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also looked at the Arona but found that you had to have the top trim to get adaptive cruise control (which I love on my Golf), as you cannot have optional extras on any trim level. That made it MORE expensive than a T-Roc. Also like the way the T-Roc has electronic handbrake. If these things are not important to you that's fine, the Arona is a decent car. Just think the T-Roc is more car for not much more money, so have ordered the 1.0 SE T-Roc. If I didn't currently own a SE Golf my thinking may have been different.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's a useful technical comparison if you haven't yet seen it

Angus's comment is spot on re: adaptive cruise control. You have to go for "Excellence Lux" with a list price that I think is over £22,000

I think this would be a very valuable safety feature for me on my lengthy motorway trips. I haven't tried ACC but looking forward to testing it. if it's even nearly as good as it sounds it will be a great bonus. Another reason to prefer the T-Roc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.