Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 2018 T roc which had water in the rear footwell, ended up requiring two new speakers front and rear drivers side which a VW garage fitted. However one month down the line I've again got water in the rear footwell. Any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

Registered
Very annoying 馃檲

I assume it's out of warranty as well?
What was done to solve the leak the first time?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very annoying 馃檲

I assume it's out of warranty as well?
What was done to solve the leak the first time?
Yes it was 5 weeks outside of the warranty first time around, the garage put the car on water test and found both speaker seals were compromised and changed them both. Car was put back on water test with no water ingress found and assumed it was fixed. I didn't have any water in the car for about a month, then found water again in the same spot (rear footwell) christmas eve.

Registered
Funnily enough I was just looking at a golf with that problem, seals might be away again or not done properly? 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Did you try a hose test and try to see where it comes in?
I would open the back door and run water down the outside of the windows 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funnily enough I was just looking at a golf with that problem, seals might be away again or not done properly? 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Did you try a hose test and try to see where it comes in?
I would open the back door and run water down the outside of the windows 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
I have come across that video as well of the golf leaking water. That's what I'm gonna do this weekend to see if it's coming in through the door somewhere. Any other places it's common? Thanks

Registered
Someone on here had it come through the roof rail bolts, wasn't sealed although that would mean a wet ceiling.
Looks like your door really 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone on here had it come through the roof rail bolts, wasn't sealed although that would mean a wet ceiling.
Looks like your door really 馃
Thanks for the replies, I will update once I've carried out the hose test on the driver side doors.馃憤

Registered
It's also worth checking that the drain holes in the bottom of the doors are clear.

Reactions: Doc777

Registered
Any thoughts?

Yeah. .....how about going back to the VW dealers and saying....... " I paid you to fix a problem and it seems you haven't"
That's actually a very good point 馃憣馃憦

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any thoughts?

Yeah. .....how about going back to the VW dealers and saying....... " I paid you to fix a problem and it seems you haven't"
The car is booked in again, however the dealer is saying the speakers were not the source of the problem but the weakest point for the water to enter. They reckon the water is getting in from somewhere else now. I can't see it myself and the car was apparently put on a water test once the new speakers were fitted with no water ingress found. Doesn't add up.

Registered
"However the dealer is saying the speakers were not the source of the problem"

Next questions to fire at them..........So why did you replace them if they weren't the cause of the leak, why haven't you found the real cause of the leak, and more importantly......... why I have I paid you for work that you are now telling me wasn't required?

Registered
As I see it, the issue started as water in the rear footwell from which the dealer concluded this was coming from the rear door via a suspect seal between the speaker and the interior door trim. The first point to note is that it is normal for rain water to get past the window seals and into the door - that's why there are drain holes in the bottom. The second point to note in this hypothesis is that either the water would have to run down the interior door trim to reach the speaker seal or build up from the bottom to sufficient depth. The first method seems unlikely and the second even more unlikely if the drain holes are clear.

Using a high pressure water jet on the doors and windows is not the same as normal rain, even with wind and the air flow when driving at speed, and may have produced a false diagnosis as they also replaced the front speaker even though you hadn't any issue with water in the front footwell.

Your photo shows a considerable amount of water is present, much more than I'd expect to enter via the window seals and then through a speaker 'seal'. Has you car had DIY running boards fitted, or had any accident damage ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I see it, the issue started as water in the rear footwell from which the dealer concluded this was coming from the rear door via a suspect seal between the speaker and the interior door trim. The first point to note is that it is normal for rain water to get past the window seals and into the door - that's why there are drain holes in the bottom. The second point to note in this hypothesis is that either the water would have to run down the interior door trim to reach the speaker seal or build up from the bottom to sufficient depth. The first method seems unlikely and the second even more unlikely if the drain holes are clear.

Using a high pressure water jet on the doors and windows is not the same as normal rain, even with wind and the air flow when driving at speed, and may have produced a false diagnosis as they also replaced the front speaker even though you hadn't any issue with water in the front footwell.

Your photo shows a considerable amount of water is present, much more than I'd expect to enter via the window seals and then through a speaker 'seal'. Has you car had DIY running boards fitted, or had any accident damage ?
I agree, what the dealer is saying seems more and more unlikely to me. No I haven't had any running boards fitted or had an accident in the car. Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update, I carried out a hose test today all doors independently. No water leaking through the speakers or anywhere. All drainage holes appear to be working fine. Did notice the carpet underlay in the front and rear drivers side is wet. Is it possible the water is coming from the AC unit, any thoughts? Thanks

Registered
A water leak in the heater matrix can indeed introduce water into the cabin via the air vents but the vast majority of the water would be in the front footwells (probably both sides) with very little reaching the rear. Same applies to suggestion about pollen filter.

Do the rubber seals around the doors look ok ? Have you felt along the edge of the underside of the dash above the front footwells or the carpets at the very front, in case there is a leak around the windscreen, but again most of that would affect the front.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A water leak in the heater matrix can indeed introduce water into the cabin via the air vents but the vast majority of the water would be in the front footwells (probably both sides) with very little reaching the rear. Same applies to suggestion about pollen filter.

Do the rubber seals around the doors look ok ? Have you felt along the edge of the underside of the dash above the front footwells or the carpets at the very front, in case there is a leak around the windscreen, but again most of that would affect the front.
The rubber seal around the door looks fine to me. No water on the underside of the dash at the front, the carpet underlay in the front is soaking water, maybe the water is running from the front as there is a small sqaure hole in the carpet which I can lift up and its soaking under there. Could it possibly be coming through when the water goes down the drainage hole below the windscreen? Thanks

Registered
does your t-roc have a sunroof?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts