Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at getting the design.
What are owners thinking of their 1.0 TSI ?
We don't want to get it only to find it under powered on hills etc or four people plus baggage.

Wing mirrors.
On the design are they electrically folding.

Rear view camera.
What are owners views.
I had it on our old Nissan QQ where it was ok-ish. On our r line it was very clear, having the eight inch screen making a big difference
Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Performance on mine would best be described as adequate. Absolutely fine in town and on country roads. Doesn't pick up quite as well at motorway speeds as my previous 1.4 tsi Golf. If money is not too much a problem 1.5 might be better. Get a longish test drive I suggest. My SE has electrically folding mirrors so I suppose same with Design.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a 1.5 TSI 'Design' petrol/manual with auto-folding mirrors (when locking & egressing the car) as standard.

The standard equipment spec is extremely comprehensive by default and is listed on VW's configurator website. There are approximately 67 items listed in alphabetical order. For example wing (door) mirrors are listed as 'Electrically heated and adjustable door mirrors ' , but surprisingly does not state 'auto-folding' . The spec' for the 1.0TSI appears to be identical.

The rear view camera gives a very clear, sharp colour view with precise guide lines and proximity data.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I find the 1.0 fine. It's the same power as my previous 2 cars (Volvo V40 & Quashqai) so it's all I'm used to. It picks up quickly in 1st/2nd gear (whizzes through the revs to 7000+) and handles motorways well if you can stay at 70. If you have to drop to 50 and then hope to speed back up to 70 you need to drop it down otherwise it's slow to get there. No worries for me, what's a gear change between friends. I've never once had to "work the gears". With ACC I did a 400 mile round trip to drop a friend at an airport and never touched brakes or gears once, except at either end in town.
Electric folding mirrors, yes. Parking camera is great, best I've had.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

It does state this in the price list on the SE variant. The design has extra features on top of the SE

See screen shot of price list below.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Paper

The description is a bit ambiguous as it could be read in 2 ways.

either it has electrically heated mirrors and the manual folding mirrors

OR

it has electrically heated and electrically folding mirrors..!

i did check with my dealer about this when i ordered our T-Roc and he confirmed the mirrors parked when the car is locked.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my troc 1.0 tsi se for two weeks and find engine ok but not as good as my old a3 tsi 1l equivalent despite presuming the troc is more advanced engine and higher horsepower - however the car is bigger so guess it's understandable so getting used to regularly changing gear to allow the power burst I need to get back up to speed despite it telling me which gear I should be in I find it needs regular lower gear to give it a push !

·
Registered
118 Posts
It says there are puddle lights is that correct ?
I liked the one on the Mini Countryman it read Mini on the floor & the door handles lit up ,

·
Registered
393 Posts
Troc2018 said:
It says there are puddle lights is that correct ?
I liked the one on the Mini Countryman it read Mini on the floor & the door handles lit up ,
That is correct

·
Registered
402 Posts
But they don't spell T-ROC on the floor :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Engines.
Yes, I admit it, I am not a fan of small engine units and I know many will disagree.
But truly, the only way they give power is by high revs - period. There is no substitute for litres!
Is the 1.00l really that much more economical. Economy has a lot to do with a driver's driving style, loads carried as well and the place the unit is used.
There will be a difference between Lincolnshire and say, the Welsh valleys. In the valleys my money would be on the 1.5l
Revs cost money.
Everyone looks at the bottom line when buying a car but if cost is a real factor then I would rather pay for an engine with a chance of doing the job and shy away from some of the "extras" rather than "fizz" around the countryside.
If diesel was not being so vilified by governments, and with the threat to price this fuel out of the market (here in Spain we have seen a 55% rise in 2 years), then personally I would have gone that way and dispensed with a couple of none essentials to balance.
Horses for courses and each to their own.

·
Registered
240 Posts
To give you a guage, when I had my arona which was a 1.5 my average over 4000 miles of mixed, but predominantly low speed around town use it slightly heavy footed b road blasts, was 40 mpg, my mate has the 1 litre which he's now covered 10000 miles in and that is now averaging 43, although his is dsg. Not a massive difference considering 40 bhp difference. and I suspect mine would probably been higher as the miles increased.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I average about 50-51, mostly a commute with 10 miles of 60/70mph and 4 miles of stop-start in each direction.
1.0 has easily enough power for me, never have to flog it, but people vary. You pays your money...
Honest John figures below.
View attachment 532

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey Steve, steady, you really don't have to prove anything, perhaps we must all wait until the new regs are in place.
Nothing is equal to all men (sorry genders).
I was only trying to state the obvious for example…………..
I drive to Valencia weekly on the coastal road which has very few hills. My Merc ( 2.2l 7 speed DSG) usually averages 5.6-8ltrs per 100kms on this journey.
When my wife drives me in the same car on the same journey it averages 8.2ltrs per 100kms. She drives slower so the box is in a lower gear and the engines revs are higher as a consequence but………...
Naturally I will deny ever stating thist,,,,,,,,,,,,, she also suffers from the aggressive "on off" routine of the accelerator where one experiences repeated lateral forms of G force, also employed is the additional later and more often than useful braking on corners ( another gear down) and later braking at lights, roundabouts etc: result - all economy is shot.
Some drivers are smoothies and some a little ragged or aggressive, some winners and losers on economy.
But hey, somethings will never change - either my wife's driving habits or my opinions on certain subjects as I am just too old to be ar..d. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
No worries brid mate, not trying to prove anything, just giving my view of the 1.0. As I said, we're all different, different needs, different driving styles, different typical journeys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steve, what are you thoughts on when filling up. Friday night I put just under £30 in, it showed 305 miles. The following morning setting off to work it showed 255 !!! After traveling to Edinburgh (80 miles or more) and back its now showing 125 gauge below half.
Not had 50 mpg nearer 44

·
Registered
456 Posts
1.5 manual/petrol.

2 recent identical 100 mile round trips Manchester to West Kirby, half motorway, half local town/minor road countryside each gave 42mpg data reading on infotainment screen.

Most of my mileage is local town driving typically 3 to 4 miles per trip. However from purchase I've only done 500 miles with overall average of 34mpg...engine hardly run-in yet.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Denboy said:
Hi Steve, what are you thoughts on when filling up. Friday night I put just under £30 in, it showed 305 miles. The following morning setting off to work it showed 255 !!! After traveling to Edinburgh (80 miles or more) and back its now showing 125 gauge below half.
Not had 50 mpg nearer 44
When I fill up it usually shows about 450 then pretty steadily comes down, by as much as expected. Obviously the range is calculated on a current/recent mpg reading, so if you fill up then drive home in naff traffic the mpg will drop and so will the range. Go for a run on a clear road the next day and it will shoot back up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts