Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a major dilemma to order or not to order the t-roc! It's kind of driving me crazy already.

I guess it was love at first sight when I saw it last year and now I'm at that point where I want and can change my golf6 for something new. So, I took a test drive with t-roc and I really love it from the outside and I loved to drive with it BUT like most of the reviews say, I'm also not a fan of the interior design. I mean that it's all plastic :(

Now I'm thinking that maybe there is HOPE that VW will update the interior design for better materials some time soon and I should wait for it?..or it's never happening.. What to you think, if you buy 30 000 eur car you wish for something nicer it doesn't bother you?

T.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi yes I'm in same position, I have mk7 Golf and have been selecting various options on an SEL but it's the seats and plastic facia that puts me off at the moment. The white bolster on the SEL seats looks ok now but in a few years may be a little grubby and dated. I also had a look at the R line which has darker seats but comes with 19" wheels which may ride a bit hard in the UK, I have been told you cannot spec DCC chassis control on the petrol R line as it has the sport suspension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem coming form a Golf seven GT. How often do you feel the trim of your car? The T-Roc is much easier to wipe clean and manage. I don't think VW will update the interior, they've spent a great deal on all the lovely electronics etc.
I'm looking forward to my new SEL 1.5 model. I've chosen Energetic orange and Black. Why! I'm getting board with all the grey and white cars I see, I've had 3. Time for a change, Orange is the new Black! T'will cause much uproar on our street. Its funky.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a Troc R line 1.5 manual, changed from a 2 ltr diesel mk7 Golf GT.

I loved the Golf, just did everything it was supposed to, and did it well. I first looked at the SEL earlier in the year but couldn't live with the white edged seats, so walked away. Then the R line came out, so that's what i ordered.

I had the pure white with black roof and think it looks really smart, especially with the 19 inch wheels. It is a firm ride, but not uncomfortable, handles really well with plenty of power.

The interior is quite plain and non fussy, but everything is where it should be, and works. Yes the plastics are hard compared to the golf, but do you really notice... no...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm about to collect an R-Line T-Roc in white/black and giving back my Golf GTI performance.

The reason I've gone for the T-Roc over the Golf R is more to do with running costs and after test driving it, the performance of a 1.5 vs 2.0l isn't a huge difference.

In reality, the interior isn't a huge issue although I will miss the centre storage unit as my iPod will be exposed but the running costs out weigh this.

Also think I'm one of the lucky few that ordered when DCC was an option as the dealer has confirmed it has been fitted 😁

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not too sure why they have excluded the choice of DCC , perhaps VW will bring back the option of DCC on the T roc R line some time in the future but I don't think they will change the hard plastics
It will make my choice a bit easier if they do.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ian91 said:
Not too sure why they have excluded the choice of DCC , perhaps VW will bring back the option of DCC on the T roc R line some time in the future but I don't think they will change the hard plastics
It will make my choice a bit easier if they do.
It does make me wonder though WHY DCC was only an option for such a short time (given that the R-Line has only been available quite a short time in the UK). Maybe there were problems with it - would be interesting to know why VW removed it as an option so quickly, but then I doubt very much they will ever say. It was an option I wanted but having spoken with VW Customer Service they have confirmed that it no longer is aavailable as an option on the R-Line.

As for changing the plastics - highly unlikely

·
Registered
240 Posts
I guess until someone physically gets their r line that us supposed to have dcc fitted, to confirm if it was ever available or not. Even on the tiguan configurator it still shows dcc on r line but when you look further it says not with sport suspension.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I literally laugh out loud when I read people stressing about "hard plastic".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just felt my Golf interior yesterday and tried to picture it all hard :D I'm thinking that maybe I will not notice or won't make a big deal out of the interior because there so much more to love but I'm feeling that ALL the other people around me are saying I'm totally stupid if I buy a brand new expensive car and get interior made out of plastic for it. I imagine the first reaction when someone sits in for the first time: "oooo a new car, MKAY plastics" Argh! Going tomorrow again to the dealership, time to make some decisions I guess.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Unless someone pointed it out, would you have noticed? And in all honesty, how many times do you get into your car and feel the dashboard?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I must admit the interior did put me off a bit. Not the feel of the plastic/dash but just looking at it, it does look a bit cheap across the whole cabin coming from an Audi but decided to bite the bullet because there was so many other plus points. Had to get the R Line though as I couldn't deal with the white on the seat bolsters of the SEL

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hard plastics. If you take note a lot of cars are using painted interior parts. I have a Mercedes SUV at more than double the cost of a T Roc that incorporates hard plastics in the door panels and other sections. Oh and have you noticed, the front grill, its hard plastic as have most cars today.
My sons Renault has a hard plastic dash although it has a mottled effect to disguise the fact. Half the Fiats have a large areas of metal in your face.
One could argue that they are a lot easier to clean. :D
If you think that there is something about the car you cannot live with - Hard plastic parts, white inserts in the seats, tinny horn or a switch in the wrong place unlike my old volvo, then don't buy it. It is such a simple decision.
OMG. I think I will cancel my wife's order so I can procrastinate where to invest the money, but then, the bank may have a hard plastic counter top. :eek:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Which switch did you hate in your Volvo? For me it was the fog lights. If I hit fog I could never find that damned switch!

·
Registered
402 Posts
On the subject of my Volvo, it didn't have adaptive cruise, lane keeping, led lighting, Android Auto, self parking or heated seats. But thank God it had a soft touch dash. I know this because when I watched my first T-Roc review (carwow) and the guy was banging on about "hard plastics" I went outside to touch my Volvo dash. For the first & only time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My old Volvo didn't have airbags or seat belts, but it did have a slippery PLASTIC full width front seat so, horror, there was no center place to put or charge your mobile - oh they hadn't been invented back then - however the girlfriend could come closeup and keep you warm. See, there is always a bright side. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's obviously a cost cutting measure to pay for VW's (and others) deiselgate fines.
On the positive side the car does look good and the raised driving position seems to be popular over here in the UK.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I will be honest, intially I couldn't get passed the dash thing but then I realised times change and things move on, then so should I. Soft touch is heavier than plastic and these days it's all about economy and emissions, once you add the weight of the countless safety systems and comfort systems we all desire then something has to give. I suspect it won't be that long before all but the most expensive of cars will be this way. I'm sure not 100% certain but I think a McLaren p1 dash is made of carbon fibre with a small amount of fabric, definatley not particular soft touch. Can't imagine you would complain about the dash if it was parked on your drive. Just a thought.

·
Registered
376 Posts
There you go Dolphin, in one stroke of sheer genius you have let McLaren solve the hard plastic phobia for us all. Stick a bit of blanket over the top of the offensive dash material, color co-ordinated to match the interior of course - and maybe put a bit of bubble wrap underneath to make it extra soft and touchy, that may be an answer. I have a feeling that in the very near future when all the Chinese "add-on" artists get wind of our hatred for this substance they will in due course commence to manufacture some sort of additional cheap cosmetic solution to help us feel more at home. :p

I can see the add now Malk ower Wee UU Rok more in frieendly wid our nu dash gluv. Only 23.00 GBP. Perfekt fit garantied. No moore nasty plasik. :geek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I collected my 1.5 R-Line today, it was covered up as part of a grand unveiling inside the showroom. Anyway, sat in the car for the first time and made a note to touch the hard plastic and for a few seconds said to myself "yep, that's hard plastic, but looks fine". Ever since then I've not thought about it and not really cared. The car is great, drives really well and has a lot of functionality to get to know. My advice, just order it.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.