Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a used 2018 T Roc 1.5 SEL .

It has a speed warning which comes on at 120 km/h, but I can find no way of changing it or turning that off. The manual says it should be in the list of driving data but nothing appears there.

Dave A posted a similar problem some time ago. Has anyone managed to solve this?

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. You are correct ... this has been discussed before but I don't recall the outcome.

I'm assuming your car will have the Active Info Display and multifunction steering wheel (both standard on SEL) but do you also have Road/Traffic Sign Recognition (an option) ? I suspect not, as the latter has a speed warning function whicht uses the current/latest speed sign detected, so I'm guessing that you are referring to the driver selected speed warning function.

I have never used speed warning on my car, but having read the details in the owner's manual I had a look this evening and I can't find any trace of it and I'm not even sure it exists on my car (built March 2019 and delivered May 2019). Let me include the text from the owner's manual for the benefit of those not familiar with this (the text is basically the same in several versions of the manual from 2017 to 2021) ...

Font Number Document

Based on the section of the manual in which this is found and the description, my assumption is that this is one of the choices which can be displayed in the Multifunction Display (the rectangular section in the centre of the instrument panel). Use the left/right menu buttons on either side of the OK button on the right side of the steering wheel to cycle through the functions which can be displayed in the Mutifunction Display and stop on Driving Data, then use the Up/Down buttons to cycle through the different driving data info. My guess is that is where the Speed Warning option should appear if it is enabled.

The display of some of the items can be turned on/off by ticking the relevant box in the Car Settings menus. For example on my car I can choose to include Oil Temperature (I have that Off) and Digital Speed (I have that On). I would assume this is where the Speed Warning would be turned on and off, but the option is not shown on my car.

My guess is that this is one of the many features which can be enabled/disabled by coding and perhaps a previous owner of you car has done that. So maybe you can try following the instructions above for deleting the stored speed.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Seems logical @Vernerbongo2 but why put that in a menu item for winter tyres when you can use it for a general speed warning. Is there another setting somewhere to say you have fitted winter tyres ? I doubt it.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
Seems logical @Vernerbongo2 but why put that in a menu item for winter tyres when you can use it for a general speed warning. Is there another setting somewhere to say you have fitted winter tyres ? I doubt it.
I've never thought about it until you asked the question 🤔
I know zero about winter tyres so done a quick Google.

Winter tyres can have a lower speed rating & by law you must put a reminder on if your cars maximum speed is higher than the tyres speed rating. (Also mentions a windscreen sticker for the police)

As you can see, it's easily deactivated with the checkbox!
It just happens to have another use if you want a general maximum speed exceeded warning (speed limit 70mph) . 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the various comments. I have tried most of these suggestions. It is not the winter tyres option. I have tried turning that off or setting a different speed and it makes no difference.

According to the manual it should appear under driving data but does not. I have checked the list of items in settings that can be turned on and off and I also have oil temperature and digital speed but nothing on speed warning. I think you are right that this has been disabled somehow and must be enable by coding.

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Winter tyres can have a lower speed rating & by law you must put a reminder on if your cars maximum speed is higher than the tyres speed rating. (Also mentions a windscreen sticker for the police)

As you can see, it's easily deactivated with the checkbox!
It just happens to have another use if you want a general maximum speed exceeded warning (speed limit 70mph) . 🤷‍♂️
I knew about the lower max speed spec for the winter tyres but didn't realise that there was a legal requirement for a reminder/sticker. Is there also a requirement to remove the reminder/sticker when you go back to summer or all season tyres 😄

• Haha
Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
According to the manual it should appear under driving data but does not. I have checked the list of items in settings that can be turned on and off and I also have oil temperature and digital speed but nothing on speed warning. I think you are right that this has been disabled somehow and must be enable by coding.
Well you've certainly been round the houses on this @Steve M, but at least our findings are consistent between our cars as far as the menus are concerned.

I've done a bit more research on this and it seems to be a common complaint and is not limited to VAG cars. Do some Google searching.

Discussions on other forums suggest that some countries have a legal requirement for cars to be fitted with this warning, and it can't be (easily) turned off or the speed setting altered. The chosen speed is set by the manufacturer for the particular country the car is originally sold into, and uses the national speed limit.

So it appears that on our two cars at least, the Speed Warning feature described in the manual, where the driver can set the speed, is maybe only for certain markets and seems not to be fitted/enabled in UK spec cars, but it can possibly be enabled through coding. Here is a link which shows some photos of how it should appear in the driving data menus ... How to set a speed warning on your VW dashboard

But that isn't what is causing your issue.

My guess is that for some reason the national speed limit warning has been enabled on your car (and some others posting on the same issue). I don't think this is currently a legal requirement in the UK, otherwise myself and lots of others would be experiencing this warning and that is clearly not the case.

However, the first post in the forum thread at the link below actually shows coding for enabling/disabling this warning on a mk7 Golf R so there is a good chance there will be similar coding for the T-Roc. It is your responsibility to make sure this is legal in the UK, but since my car doesn't have it then I think it will be ok.

This is similar to some UK T-Rocs being able to automatically switch the clock/time setting back and forth between GMT and BST on the appropriate dates, while other can't. The manual says it should be automatic and the coding option is there but some cars seem to have been set up differently (wrongly).

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
I do see a coding setting of speed warning on/off but it doesn't mention a speed.
If you or a friend have diagnostics, obdeleven or similar check out if yours is in the on setting?

Font World Parallel Electric blue Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
Interesting ... perhaps the speed is set elsewhere.

The coding screen shot from the VWVortex Golf R forum shows the speed but not where is is set.

Sky Azure Rectangle Font Parallel

And this photo shows standard adjustment (without coding) in an Audi A6 ... why can't we all hve that ?

Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive exterior Automotive design Font

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
@Impala I think it's something we don't need anyway especially if you stick to speed limits & the winter tyres setting does the same job anyway, if required.

The default speed warning is something you shouldn't hear to often anyway 😂

It's definitely strange it's only on some Roc-s though as mines also a 2018 🤔
I'm not sure I've ever went over 75mph?
I must double check!!

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
I totally agree about the default (national ?) speed limit warning @Vernerbongo2 especially as it doesn't seem to be enabled on my car :). Even if it was on all our cars the majority of people would seldom get an alert, and I'm sure it can be dismissed by pressing OK. But it is somewhat worrying that VW can be turning out cars that have these differences that are apparently down to inconsistencies in the coding of individual vehicles.

However it would be nice to have something extra which can be set by the driver to any speed (below the default if you like). This is what is described in the owner's manual but it certainly isn't enabled on my car and I haven't read any reports on this forum of it being on others, although there are lots of people providing details on the internet of how to set it and even YouTube videos so some cars somewhere must have it. Maybe we could all use WeConnect to send speed exceeded alerts to our phones 😄😆😂

I often use my ACC to ensure I don't go above the speed limit on certain roads. But as you know ACC isn't suitable to use in many circumstances, and I find switching between ACC and the speed limiter function to be too distracting and fiddly. I'm sure if the function described in the manual actually worked then it would be more convenient to use.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
@Impala I have said in a past post my car gets confused when I toggle straight from ACC to the speed limiter, all the associated assist systems go into fault and don't reset until I turn the engine off and on again.

I had my obdeleven plugged in today & I do see an adaptation for the speed warning, which is adjustable.
I didn't have it plugged in the last time I posted the speed warning photo, the information was limited.

Edit: I'm thinking this photo is actually the winter tyre speed warning, I have it activated & set at 70mph. I need to double check!
I might activate that other speed warning setting just to see the outcome 🤔

Azure Font Screenshot Software Electric blue

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts
As said I would do in my previous post:
1: Double checked the information in the photo I posted & it is indeed the winter tyres settings. I changed the winter tyre settings on my infotainment screen which in turn changed the information on my obdeleven data.
Screenshot Font Electric blue Software Electronic device

2: I also activated the speed warning with obdeleven & the speed warning appeared at 75mph, as expected.
I haven't a clue where the actual speed 75mph is stored? Obdeleven probably can't look that deep into these settings in comparison to the likes of VCDS?

@Steve M with obdeleven or similar, changing that speed warning setting from ON to OFF will take the speed warning away.
Font World Parallel Electric blue Rectangle

Reactions: Impala
1 - 14 of 14 Posts