Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well two months and 800 miles....what do I think

I came to the Troc from 4 years of of a Golf mk7...2.0 Tdi 6 speed auto..trouble free I might add
My preferred choice on changing was a Q5....wife said too big and too expensive

So it's the T roc sat on our drive

Nice drive , the 4x4 is not to intrusive and I am averaging 41 mpg, my trips are mostly shorter journeys with a bit of motorway .....it's also been severely tested off road

Motorway is around 50 mpg

The roc works off road...had a bit of fun on a steep dusty track and it coped very well...not done deep mud yet

It's white with a black roof.....wish I had gone all white as the black shows every mark and spec of dust

In no particular order.....it's definitely built down to a price.....VW missed a trick here in my opinion and should have built the car to be above the Golf in the pecking order

Carpets cheap

Plastics are terrible, naff in fact...I gently brushed against the door handle with the keys in my hand the day I picked it up...a 1 1/2" gouge in the door trim!

Already got permanent marks on the left footrest

There is nothing like the interior storage of the Golf...no sunglass holder....no coin holder by the drivers right knee.....no under seat storage

The bonnet latch is manual not hydraulic...like using my daughters 15 year old Ka!

The apple car play is a waste of money...Bluetooth works just fine

The auto headlights do work brilliantly

It's a smart looking car on the outside but what is the point of fake exhausts...all they do is fill with dust and debris...another design error

The boot is a good size...I don't have extra underfloor space owing to the 4x4 drive...but I cannot fit a mountain bike in without removing the front wheel first

There is a cross member at the rear...possibly to fit a tow bar...nightmare to clean and I predict a rust problem once salty road crud get stuck there

The Golf had " carpeted" inner wheel arches to keep road noise down...the roc has the cheapest naffest plastic wheel arches I have ever seen on a car

I have no particular axe to grind , however too many reviews are posted through rose tinted glasses...I have tried to be honest and subjective

BUT! I am enjoying the drive....would I buy another........probably not unless the mark2 moves the roc upmarket...it will be a Q5.....wife doesn't read these forums!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The T-Roc is not a 'Golf'...

It's a T-roc-why- are you doing a comparison?

You make a comment about 'Fake exhausts' ? Why buy it then if you are going to pull it down-saying 'they missed a trick here'?

You must have missed a trick by missing the 'so called' missed trick.

People arent doing reviews through 'rose tinted glasses' (boring phrase)-they are seeing it for what it is, and not trying to come across as a total and utter objectionist trying to build brownie popints through boring rose tinted glasses !

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a couple of points I'd like to add to the conversation:

A Q2 is a better comparison to a T-Roc, a Q5 is on a whole different level.

The fact the T-Roc is inferior to a Golf trim wise probably pays for it to be so well equipped. If it was plushly trimmed it would have cost a good deal more. I personally wanted a change from my Golf but to keep things like the adaptive cruise control and electronic hand brake so I'm happy to be able to do so at a realistic price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some of us Golf owners bought the T-Roc as a larger version of the Golf, well I did at least. My Mk7 Golf was a standard 1.4tsi and had the little improvements that VW added over the years that obviously were customer driven. I guess it will take a few years before they add these extra little features to the T-Roc - must be a reason why they don't add them as standard at first which is probably down to making the best return on their investments in a new model.

Storage and glasses holder are in my niggles list too

·
Registered
120 Posts
Monifieth Angus said:
I have a couple of points I'd like to add to the conversation:

A Q2 is a better comparison to a T-Roc, a Q5 is on a whole different level.

The fact the T-Roc is inferior to a Golf trim wise probably pays for it to be so well equipped. If it was plushly trimmed it would have cost a good deal more. I personally wanted a change from my Golf but to keep things like the adaptive cruise control and electronic hand brake so I'm happy to be able to do so at a realistic price.
Well said, and admitedly put better than the way i had above. Anyone can compare models that distinctly differ in price and class (small family car versus Crossover/SUV versus large SUV) Also try getting the kit you get on the T-roc, on a 'Q5' , and then do a 'groundhog' day-back to the bank!
Regards-Geoff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well said Steve
A few touchy people on here!
Please read the post properly you others...I was not comparing the Q5 to a Golf merely expressing my choice of 4x4 would have been a Q5....but the wife.......
The comparison to a Golf is perfectly valid...they are built on the same platform
The exhaust point did not occur to me until I came to clean the vehicle.....something the designers clearly never considered

·
Registered
120 Posts
StevieDvd said:
Some of us Golf owners bought the T-Roc as a larger version of the Golf, well I did at least.
At the end of the day it isn't a Golf-the point I'm making is it isn't justifiable to make a comparison of the two. The golf is a small family car (just). The T-roc is a small SUV/crossover. As you mentioned costs will sway the balance in different directions on design/accessories, so rules out a comparison.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sturoc said:
Well said Steve
A few touchy people on here!
Please read the post properly you others...I was not comparing the Q5 to a Golf merely expressing my choice of 4x4 would have been a Q5....but the wife.......
The comparison to a Golf is perfectly valid...they are built on the same platform
The exhaust point did not occur to me until I came to clean the vehicle.....something the designers clearly never considered
' A few touchy people on here' ? Please read above post-
Hang on - I think I'll buy a Porsche 911 because its better than a T-roc/Q5

·
Registered
402 Posts
It would be boring if we all had the same opinions, wouldn't it. However I'd argue that any review I gave was not "rose tinted" in any way, it was just as I find it, largely positive with a few negatives that are so trivial that they're not worthy of mention (e.g. nowhere to put my glasses or car-park coins) - it's no deal-breaker. Also you obviously really want a Q5, which is a few spec marks up from the T-Roc, it's really not going to compete.
Some things you say are true though, the wheel arches are not "carpeted" like they were in my Volvo, but despite that the road noise is way less than it was in the Volvo (to the point I'd call it "silent"), so I don't really care. And I don't caress the wheel arches so... But "cheapest, naffest"? Hmm, I don't think so. They're solid and they'll do the job adequately.
Same with the plastics, the Volvo had lovely soft touch everywhere, but I never touch it. Wife did though, once, and she put a hole and gouge into the soft door grab handle when her engagement ring was the wrong way round one day. I lived with an unsightly passenger door for 2 years.
I can get my road bike in the boot without taking any wheeles off, but don't have a mountain bike, wider handlebars may make it problematic I guess. Ultimately I'll get some roof bars.
Adaptive cruise - superb.
Adaptive lane keeping - great, if irksome (I rarely used to indicate)
Cross-traffic alert - probably saved me a car-park scrape already as I was backing out from between 2 vans as a "boy racer" couldn't wait to get to the shops.
Comfort & Refinement - top notch for me. I'd rate it a bit below an XC40, but like the Q5 that's a whole couple of price brackets up so it's not a fair comparison.
Android Auto - great. I didn't get built-in sat-nav cos I always use Waze on Android. I also only ever use Spotify for music. "Waste of money"? It cost me nothing and saved £1300 over built-in sat nav.
Beats Audio. Decent, better than standard audio, but better other systems exist. When it's the right tune it's utterly superb at top volume (400W), with the wrong tune it can be pretty dire (but reducing the volume sorts it). Anyway, who wants to be "that guy"?? ;-)
LED lights. Changed my world. Low beam reaches almost as far as the "old fashioned" headlights I was used to. Full beam is like daylight. High beam assist is slick. I go out at night deliberately just to use them!

·
Registered
36 Posts
GeoffLad said:
StevieDvd said:
Some of us Golf owners bought the T-Roc as a larger version of the Golf, well I did at least.
At the end of the day it isn't a Golf-the point I'm making is it isn't justifiable to make a comparison of the two. The golf is a small family car (just). The T-roc is a small SUV/crossover. As you mentioned costs will sway the balance in different directions on design/accessories, so rules out a comparison.
As I understand the T-Roc is based on the Golf platform and from a lot of reviews is targeted at Golf users by VW as the next step up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes your understanding Stevie is correct, it is based on the same 'MQB' platform as the Golf (which is quite common knowledge). However due to the design of the T-roc (height, length and style) it makes it a different 'animal' , and as such has had a different budget applied to it to suit a different type of customer. This is my point about it being incorrect to compare it to Golf.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GeoffLad said:
Yes your understanding Stevie is correct, it is based on the same 'MQB' platform as the Golf (which is quite common knowledge). However due to the design of the T-roc (height, length and style) it makes it a different 'animal' , and as such has had a different budget applied to it to suit a different type of customer. This is my point about it being incorrect to compare it to Golf.
Your view point is yours but does not mean others are wrong. Even my dealership commented on how many Golf buyers were moving to the T-Roc as an upgrade. Surprisingly the height & width differences between the Golf & T-Roc are negligible, though thankfully not the height. In that context I think it fair and appropriate to compare features between the cars.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Exactly, my point is mine, and it doesn't mean to say your point (or others) is correct (or even my point is correct). So long as a point is made- we are all aloud to aren't we? Don't want to bicker or anything, but this is being silly.
Don't want to fall out over this-so its my last word I shall contribute. We/I shall perhaps have to agree to disagree as they say. Thanks for your input.
Regards Geoff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts