Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am afraid I am going to have a lot of questions.....there are 2 USB sockets in my T-Roc 1.5 Evo dsg sel . Can I charge my iPhone from either of these. The symbol for usb is between the 2. In the manual it states 1 is marked with the symbol but 1 isn't but it's hard to know when the symbol is in the middle. Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi wendy1. Yes they both charge your mobile and also connect your mobile to play music you may have downloaded to use in the car. However the drawback is when connected in this way you cannot use your mobile handsfree from the steering wheel. If you use bluetooth as connection for your mobile and the cigarette 12v socket to charge the mobile the handsfree will work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
AV82 said:
However the drawback is when connected in this way you cannot use your mobile handsfree from the steering wheel. If you use bluetooth as connection for your mobile and the cigarette 12v socket to charge the mobile the handsfree will work.
I have used my phone hands free when connected via USB?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ian J said:
AV82 said:
However the drawback is when connected in this way you cannot use your mobile handsfree from the steering wheel. If you use bluetooth as connection for your mobile and the cigarette 12v socket to charge the mobile the handsfree will work.
I have used my phone hands free when connected via USB?
So have i

·
Registered
399 Posts
They are both the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've also charged my iPhone and used Apple play to connect it up. This works fine and allows me to use Amazon music, Spotify. Google maps etc. But what I do find is that if I leave my phone in my handbag instead of connecting via the USB I can't import my contacts into the TRoc via Bluetooth. Even though the screen says my phone is connected. Anyone else had this problem please

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi ian j, can you use the steering wheel controls to use the phone and call the contacts up? I certainly can't and the dealer tells me that is how carplay/phone connection operates. Inwas told that it is a software issue that was apparent on Tiguan that was later resolved. So as Lymmbo posts you cannot get the contacts list up when the mobile is connected to the usb. It may also be affected by which mobile you are using, apple or android?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi AV82. I can only get the contacts displayed when connected to USB. If I connect via Bluetooth then the contacts aren't displayed and I can't install them. I suspect a trip to the garage. I bought my car from a garage some distance away and when I went into my local garage for help they were not helpful at all. Not a good relationship to start off especially as I was intending to take it there for servicing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all. I will charge by cigarette 12v for now , if necessary.
My next question is: when I was in the showroom picking up my car ( after 7 months wait!) I am sure he showed me I can see the navigation map in both screens at the same time......but I can't get that to happen now........have tried various things. .... including emailing and ringing the salesman for his advice as he invited me to do but no reply. It may have something to do with which version of Navigation I have but I can't even find out which I do have. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is not possible at the moment to have the sat nav on both screens. Your salesman should be aware of this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think that they will have the satnav made to show on both screens. However the connectivity between the phone when plugged into the usb means that you are effectively using it as a media player and the overides the phone function. Software fix required by VW.

·
Registered
45 Posts
AV82 said:
Hi ian j, can you use the steering wheel controls to use the phone and call the contacts up?
I use the phone button on the central display to access the phone contacts, the steering wheel controls shows recent calls I think

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you operate a device away from the steering wheel it is deemed illegal and not hands free. Thats the point of connectivity. Your steering wheel should contain all the buttons for operating all functions, satnav, acc, media, phone and obviously lights, indicators, wipers etc. There is a software mismatch as other VW models work correctly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
AV82 said:
If you operate a device away from the steering wheel it is deemed illegal
My understanding is holding the phone is illegal, not using the touchscreen or you wouldn't be able to change the radio station. However, it is up to you how you operate your phone when driving

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry guys but thats why the buttons are on the steering wheel to change the radio stations? Voice control also for calls and texts no need to touch the screen. I am sure the "old bill" would look upon looking/controlling a device and not concentrating on the road ahead as illegal. Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Further information on using satnav screen whilst driving.

'Failure to have proper control of vehicle or full view of the road and traffic ahead, or using a hand-held mobile phone while driving (CU80)'
Section 41D Road Traffic act 1988.
Whilst this IS primarily used for drivers using mobile phones etc, whilst driving, it can also be applied to any situation where you remove a hand from the steering wheel, except to change gear or operate a control system in the vehicle (window, de-mister, etc) provided that your control of the vehicle is not affected.
IF you are having a ***, eating/drinking, operating the radio/CD, twiddling the satnav or doing anything where your attention and actions detract from your 'proper control' of the vehicle then you can, depending on the individual circumstances at the time i.e danger caused, be summonsed or given an FPN (E) for this offence.

It is often solely dependant on the interpretation of what has occurred, by the officer involved, as to whether this section is applied instead of a more serious or defined offence.

Either way you stand to go through a period of angst whilst you await a court appearance, or the FPN is processed and your driving licence returned with the requisite points attached plus you have to pay the fine and then ASAP inform your insurance company that you have been prosecuted, with the associated rise in premium for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Update on two screens.
Last weekend whilst setting my journey from mersea island Colchester to Norwich I experienced two screens.
The direction arrow normally between dials disappeared and the map appeared.it also remained when I set it to full screen.
I wish i had stopped and took a pic of both screens but was not able to find a good place to stop.
After a couple of miles o was unable to hold two screens.
Have tried since and failed to replicate,do I out this down to spirits of mersea island ?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Fidds t roc said:
Update on two screens.
Last weekend whilst setting my journey from mersea island Colchester to Norwich I experienced two screens.
The direction arrow normally between dials disappeared and the map appeared.it also remained when I set it to full screen.
I wish i had stopped and took a pic of both screens but was not able to find a good place to stop.
After a couple of miles o was unable to hold two screens.
Have tried since and failed to replicate,do I out this down to spirits of mersea island ?
I think this merits a separate topic so that other members are more likely to read it and respond.

There may already be a discussion covering this in a separate topic for SatNav and/or Active Info Display, which I presume is what you mean by 2 screens. Search the 'Main Volkswagen T-Roc chat' or 'Faults & Technical'.

Either way the Members Gallery forum area is meant to be for posting photos of members cars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts