Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well this is a bit worrying. I know the article is referring to US models but I’m sure they’re using the same water pumps across models since it’s quite a standard part.

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
749 Posts

Well this is a bit worrying. I know the article is referring to US models but I’m sure they’re using the same water pumps across models since it’s quite a standard part.
🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈
it's a bit vague 🤷‍♂️

We'll hear what @Seal has to say 🤔

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a well known issue that affects EA888 engines. The water pump and the thermostat housing can require replacement around 100k km (ish) if affected. Some go a full lifetime without an issue, others die early. It is what it is...plenty of vehicles have endemic issues.

When the water pump failed on our 2015 Polo GTi (1.8 litre EA888 engine), the car was 3 years out of warranty here in Australia. VW covered a fair portion of the cost out of good-will.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

·
Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a well known issue that affects EA888 engines.
And VW continue to fit plastic water pumps rather than a revised part. This is exactly why I hate the company.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What about all the other plastic parts in the engine? The oil pickup for the engine oil pump is made of plastic, the sump, the diverted valve for the turbo. The coil packs have a lot of plastic, the pcv valve. It’s more a case of find the metal parts these days. It’s frightening but what amazes me the most is the price of the plastic parts are they cheaper than metal parts, no

• Wow

·
Super Moderator
2,654 Posts
... are they cheaper than metal parts
Doesn't bother VW as any cost increase would be passed on to the buyer.

My guess is that plastic parts are used because they are lighter and hence better for fuel economy/emissions. How else would they manage to keep reducing the weight of cars ... take the seats out ? We could start a separate topic for ideas :LOL:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Plastic is the new metal in cars these days all makes of cars. If you want to reduce weight with the 2litre EA888 engine they could replace the cast iron block with alloy.
I was looking at the engine on a friends E class Mercedes today. Looked to have more plastic parts on the engine than my VW.

·
Registered
441 Posts
At this time there are no known problems reported with T-Roc water pump problems,although there are other models in the VW group.
There have been changes in many parts in the engines, some parts are no longer plastic and now are metal and vice versa and some are no longer placed, it is recommended that the necessary revisions be made within the specified time, and checking for losses of coolant,bad bearing noises, check the serpentine belt and do not put wrong coolant to avoid pump problems is what I recommend

Reactions: twist
1 - 10 of 10 Posts