Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've ordered a 1.0 SEL model but as the configurator wasn't working I didn't realise it came with 17" alloys rather than the usual 18" Arlo, which I wanted. Strange decision by VW to have the exact same trim level as the other cars in the range but different alloys?.

I have tried online to source the Arlo wheels aftermarket with no result. Does anybody know where I could get them?.. My plan would be to buy them and then sell the Mayfields.

Thanks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi Gerrard
When/where did you order the car, surly they will amend your order. It'll be an expensive swap as it's tyres as well as buying the wheels outright
If they won't amend your order, cancel it and start again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

No, unfortunately the 17" Mayfields come as standard on the 1.0 SEL and do not have an upgrade option, but I am buying a new car which is already in the UK so factory isn't an option.

I am surprised that VW do not provide them aftermarket, even for damage/repair reasons. I'd recoup some of the cost by selling the Mayfields.

·
Registered
985 Posts
When you say you have tried online to source them - where from? Your best bet if you really want to do this is to go to your dealer and order a set, mind you, the price will be horrific for new alloys. I've paid anything between £425 and £875 just for one alloy before.

Dealers will always be able to supply them, they have to for damage and accident repair reasons - but given how new the TRoc is, you will only be able to source genuine VW alloys thru VW at this stage.

Your only other option is to choose aftermarket / 3rd party alloys and fit those (you need to check with the supplier for the appropriate offsets etc to make sure you get the right ones).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I mean I've searched Google for them but no success.

I'd be willing to go to £1200 for the set but I think you'll be closer with your figures. No worries, I hope the Mayfield's grow on me!.

In the meantime, if anyone comes across a set of Arlos I'd appreciate a reply.. :)

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You are spending a substantial sum of money with these people (VW) and your not happy.. something is wrong and now is the time to put it right not after you've received and driven the car.. even if it means having to buy the 18" wheels from VW.. make sure you get a big discount and some sort of a deal where you are both happy.. and if it means you end up with the 17" wheels as well get them to put winter tires on them free of charge.. I am sure if you go and explain your situation and how you feel there has to be a point where you end up with what you want.. Good luck and let us know how it all ends

·
Registered
985 Posts
One thought - unless you are absolutely set on a set of Arlos - is to look at what other genuine VW wheels may fit - for instance, might a set of 18" wheels off a Golf bolt on? What you need to find out is what the offset is for the Arlos wheels (if anyone on here can help, you'll often find this stamped or cast right towards the inner edge of the rim, or on the inside of one of the wheel spokes (more likely).
Once you have that knowledge, as well as the centre bore and stud pattern then you can look at similar (genuine) wheels across the VW range, as if everything matches then they should bolt straight on - the only thing you may possibly need are another set of wheel nuts appropriate to the alloys, as sometimes that can vary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm sorry (Hawkeye) but with a brand new car and the money he's paying I don't think it's his problem to sort out.. unless the UK has changed dramatically I thought the customer was always right.. he's buying a new car and he has a problem with it.. I think it's VW that should be running round trying to sort the problem out and satisfy their customer..... I can understand where you're coming from if he was buying a second hand cor of a car lot..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just realized this myself after reading your post. I thought that it came with the 18" alloys as standard on the SEL model, but I contacted VW earlier and they confirmed that the version with the 1.0 engine definitely comes with the 17" Mayfield gloss black diamond turned alloys. I think these look pretty smart though, and contract well with the black roof and darkened rear quarters etc, so Im actually ok with that.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Smarttask said:
I'm sorry (Hawkeye) but with a brand new car and the money he's paying I don't think it's his problem to sort out.. unless the UK has changed dramatically I thought the customer was always right.. he's buying a new car and he has a problem with it.. I think it's VW that should be running round trying to sort the problem out and satisfy their customer..... I can understand where you're coming from if he was buying a second hand cor of a car lot..
I'm sorry but IMO it's got absolutely nothing to do with the customer being right nor can I see that it's VW's problem to resolve. This is not an error in ordering the car, the customer has placed an order which VW has fulfilled. That the configurator was not running was perhaps unfortunate, also perhaps that the customer was not aware that the 1.0L version had 17" wheels (although this is quite clear in the downloadable price list), the simple fact is that the 18" wheels are not even an option (on the 1.0).

I would agree with you totally if the wheels were an option and the car had been ordered with 18" wheels but had turned up with 17" - in which case I would fully expect the dealer and VW to run around sorting it. But not for a car which was ordered and signed for and for which the option you want isn't even an option on that model with that engine. Sorry.

I think perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am with you Hawkeye. A contract is a contract and VW are not to blame so have no hoops to jump through.
The customer is not ALWAYS right and in some case must be politely to told so. They have no case to answer here and I don,t really think gerrardhino was even trying to make one.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I agree, I don't think gerrardhino was either - I think he is just looking at options for how he can now get 18" Arno's on his car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all, yes I knew when I ordered it that it comes with the smaller wheels but VW couldn't source a 1.5 EVO for me in the colour I wanted in the UK, which would have meant a factory order and a 3-4 month wait.

I have got a good deal on this car, a very good deal, so I am prepared to pay over the odds to get the wheels I want. It is the lack of availability that is confusing.

But thanks for all the replies. Love the fact that there is a thriving community of passionate T-Roc owners on here - I hope to join you by the end of the week. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, perhaps buying some aftermarket wheels and storing the originals until it's time to sell the car on might be the easiest solution?
There are plenty to choose from that will make your car stand out from the crowd, eg, https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/volkswagen/t-roc/, without it looking "chavvy"!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a good site, thanks. Car arrives Wednesday for handover next week so will make a final decision then.

Just think it's such an arbitrary choice by VW - Black turned Mayfields - on any colour or spec 1.0 SEL? - You would think that would severely limit sales.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Perhaps that's why it's disappeared off the configurator
But the more options they offer the more WLTP approvals needed !

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am in the same predicament! Why would they offer the 18" wheels on the 1.6TDI but only the 17" wheels on the 1.0TSI mystifies me.
On the website it does say the SEL models come with 18" wheels however going into the compare section it shows just the 17".

Hope i can get used to these smaller allows, however i have read that the 17" give a slightly better road comfort than the 18".

·
Registered
376 Posts
Every time you increase the size of the wheel you increase the rolling resistance and fuel consumption. VW are trying to satisfy the regs so they even fit low roll resistant tyres in every effort to get into the best light.
With a 1.00L one may suppose it is more important than on a larger powered unit to try to reduce all resistances however marginal. Does seem they only use increase diameter on models with more CV.
Better ride though having a higher sidewall so forget the lack of bling :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sorry to be thick, what's CV ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sorry, cars here are rated in CV or kW. CV is about the same as BHP.
Don't ask, I think its a EU thing. The 1.5 TSI would be classed as I.5TSI 110kW (150 CV) :roll:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.