Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts
G

RP22 said:
I can't have the radio, music or any form of media on at over 50 m.p.h., because I just can't hear it over the noise coming through the window. I also now accept that I will not fix it.

There, I feel better now, Regards, RP22
Well said RP22 ;)
I guess your next car won't be a volkswagen then 馃
If mine was as bad as you're saying yours is, I'd have had it blown out a long time ago.

I would bet all car manufacturers have staff paid to monitor all forum's and record information, whether they do anything with the information is another question 馃

Registered
R-line 1.5TSI DSG 650bhp stage 12 tune
vernerbongo2 said:
twist said:
If it's enough to drown out music and phone calls it's not the same whistle that most of us get. I can have music on very, very low and it drowns out the whistle entirely.
I can't say I've noticed wind noise in my car, maybe I'm just oblivious to it 馃
I must keep an ear out for it :?
Did your last TRoc have it?
Yep, they both have it but only at motorway speeds and it doesn't really bother me. It's not that loud and is just the air going through the gap between the side panel and the wing mirror housing. I suspect all T-Rocs have it to some degree but the severity probably differs due to tolerance differences, panel gaps and such.

RP22's seems to be particularly bad though and I'd expect VW to resolve it if it was as bad as he describes.

Registered
Hi, I just wanted to say I have exactly the same as you described, the drivers window/door is very noisy and gets noisier the faster I go, the passenger side is the same although slightly less. I have not been able to get into my local dealer but have emailed but as yet have had no response from them. I like the car very much but it is enough to put me off getting another one unless it is sorted.

We have a 1.5 TSI SEL DSG, 2019 registered [UK]. Mostly we are very pleased with it, it is a really good driving experience, but……

At about 45 mph a wind sound starts on the driver's window. The intensity increases until at motorway speeds it is really annoying, and tiring. The passenger side has the same sound, but at a much, much reduced level. I would like to find out what it could be before I go to the dealer. Things I have learnt so far are:
1. It is very different intensity on the two sides, as stated above
2. If you turn round and go back down the same road, the high level of noise stays on the driver's side [i.e. eliminating wind direction]
3. Some web sites e.g. What Car do not report it as a problem, others do e.g. Top Gear. There are others on both sides.
4. This difference confuses me: I could understand different trims with different size wheels having different road noise levels, but I would have thought all T-Rocs would have the same windscreen, wing mirrors, door panels etc. So why should some T-Rocs have window noise and others not?
5. There are various suggestions put forward by web sites such as big wing mirrors, air hitting the windscreen and being deflected, air hitting the wing mirror posts.
6. I have used masking tape both inside and outside of the door frame but none of this made any difference. I have also taped around the wing mirror - closing off the channel that runs around it, to no avail.

If anybody has an inkling as to what is causing this or how to fix it, I would be grateful. It takes the edge of what otherwise would be a great driving experience. Thank you

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hello, I started this 'Wind Noise' topic 3 years ago, and sadly I never solved the problem. After a long gap not posting, I have a question about the Mark II T-Roc which is now on sale. Has anybody out there gone from a Mark I version to the Mark II? If so, are you able to tell me if the wing mirrors are the same shape in the II and I? The reason I ask is that some time ago a post was added to this thread that suggested the Mark II would have different, better, quieter wing mirrors, and I would just like to know if this is indeed the case. Thank you.

Super Moderator
@RP22 - it would be better if you could go along to a showroom and inspect a mk2 yourself, take some pics, and compare. Relying on someone else's opinion might not be much help.

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
@Seal is the man that will have the answer 馃憣

Personally, I wouldn't think they'll have changed 馃

Reactions: Seal

Registered
Hello, I started this 'Wind Noise' topic 3 years ago, and sadly I never solved the problem. After a long gap not posting, I have a question about the Mark II T-Roc which is now on sale. Has anybody out there gone from a Mark I version to the Mark II? If so, are you able to tell me if the wing mirrors are the same shape in the II and I? The reason I ask is that some time ago a post was added to this thread that suggested the Mark II would have different, better, quieter wing mirrors, and I would just like to know if this is indeed the case. Thank you.
yes the new T-Roc mark II has different, better and quieter rear view mirrors, with the new shape there is less air friction, however the problem will only be 100% solved with the new T-Roc to be launched in principle in 2026 where the mirror will be placed on the door as in ID3,4 and 5

Reactions: Vernerbongo2

Registered
@Seal is the man that will have the answer 馃憣

Personally, I wouldn't think they'll have changed 馃
yes they have changed completely, even the blind spot has changed its place that is no longer in the mirror

• Love

Registered
Where is the warning icon now seal 馃
Photo?

You're a great asset to this forum 馃憣

Thank you
I think the new one is just a light on the mirror housing now, a bit like this.
Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

I personally prefer the little icon on the edge of the mirror.

Reactions: Seal

Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
I think the new one is just a light on the mirror housing now, a bit like this.
View attachment 4395
I personally prefer the little icon on the edge of the mirror.
I prefer the new method, should catch your attention better.
I've never had it, does it have an audible warning as well?
If not, it should have 馃槒

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
yes the new T-Roc mark II has different, better and quieter rear view mirrors, with the new shape there is less air friction, however the problem will only be 100% solved with the new T-Roc to be launched in principle in 2026 where the mirror will be placed on the door as in ID3,4 and 5
Hello Seal, what a detailed answer, thank you. Just out of curiosity, do you know if the footprint of the new types of wing mirror is exactly the same as in the Mark I? I am just musing about whether changing my Mark I type to Mark II type would be worth it. We have a black pearlescent SEL with the winter pack. Would features like the ability to control them from the joystick, heating,and indeed matching the colour so they look the same as the rest of the car, would all these things be ok, do you know? Just musing really, and I have no idea how much it would cost.

Registered
I prefer the new method, should catch your attention better.
I've never had it, does it have an audible warning as well?
If not, it should have 馃槒
No audible warning but the steering wheel motor pulls against you and vibrates to warn you if you try to change lanes while it thinks there鈥檚 a car there.

Can鈥檛 decide which would be better. Probably have to test the new one first but I like the light on the glass because you鈥檙e already looking directly at the glass so in my mind, you should notice it better than a light on the housing, no? Unless maybe it flashes? I don鈥檛 know.

Super Moderator
No audible warning but the steering wheel motor pulls against you and vibrates to warn you if you try to change lanes while it thinks there鈥檚 a car there.
How would the driver distinguish that from Lane Assist, which many will know is prone to false 'alerts' and ignore ?

Registered
Probably have to test the new one first but I like the light on the glass because you鈥檙e already looking directly at the glass so in my mind, you should notice it better than a light on the housing, no? Unless maybe it flashes? I don鈥檛 know.
I have the light mounted in the housing on my Audi and find it more effective as a visible signal than the glass mounted one from VW.
The light is in a black plastic window which flashes bright yellow, with the brightness adjustable. The yellow against black really stands out in direct sunlight and is not too annoying at night. I find that the VW one mounted inside the mirror lens is not as noticeable against direct sunlight.
The good thing about that setup is you don't need to look directly into your mirrors for the warning light to be seen, so if you are lazy and glance over you can't help but see it flash.

Registered
How would the driver distinguish that from Lane Assist, which many will know is prone to false 'alerts' and ignore ?
Hopefully by using their eyes and looking out the window to check :LOL:

It鈥檚 a very noticeable warning in my opinion and I鈥檝e never mistaken it for anything else. Lane assist鈥檚 intervention feels more like there鈥檚 a notch in the steering that the wheel is stuck on. The blind spot monitor intervention is a little stronger and the vibrations are quite substantial. You wouldn鈥檛 ignore it. But again it only happens if you try to steer into the approaching car. As with all VW systems though it can false positive and occasionally the central reservation has triggered the light to illuminate. Only happened a couple of times though so it doesn鈥檛 bother me.

Registered
The lane assist does not vibrate when you use the indicators so I would expect when you indicate and it vibrates there is a car there?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts