Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an actually very nice area, however, with no money going into the police force the crime rate has risen lately. Before Christmas they stole one of our 125 motorcycles from the drive, we got it back, and they tried to steal it again just last week.

This morning I have read about numerous cases in the areas where they burgled people's houses to steal car keys and then take their cars.

I have to say I am really worried with a brand new car and such a new/rare one, too. Yes, it will be insured but let's be honest, the car has been made to our specs and replacing it would take 6 months or more.

Should I get one of those old-fashioned steering wheel locks, too? Apart from putting the keys under my pillow...?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would not bother. If the thieves can break into the car so that it can be driven away, they can also defeat the steering lock.
If they are professional thieves, they will pick it up with a recovery vehicle (Locally referred to as a dustpan) and the steering lock makes no difference.
If they break into your house and threaten you for the keys, give them the keys. When youleave the house, take your keys with you.
As you got the motor cycle back, that seems to indicate amateurs, and a 125 MC is much easier to abscond with that the T-Roc with a fairly sophisticated locking system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Modern cars are harder to steal and therefore thieves have to break into your house to steal the keys.

I make sure the keys can't be seen from the front door, so they can't use a pole and hook to lift them.

But I do leave the keys clearly visible on the first or second stair. Reason being, if someone breaks into my house at night while we are sleeping they will take the car keys and leave. I don't want them ransacking my house or worse still coming into my bedroom. The psychological impact of this would be much worse.

Added bonus is that in the event of a fire, everyone knows where the key is and it can be found in the dark or a smoke filled room as front door key is attached to it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Betty Swollocks said:
Modern cars are harder to steal and therefore thieves have to break into your house to steal the keys.

I make sure the keys can't be seen from the front door, so they can't use a pole and hook to lift them.

But I do leave the keys clearly visible on the first or second stair. Reason being, if someone breaks into my house at night while we are sleeping they will take the car keys and leave. I don't want them ransacking my house or worse still coming into my bedroom. The psychological impact of this would be much worse.

Added bonus is that in the event of a fire, everyone knows where the key is and it can be found in the dark or a smoke filled room as front door key is attached to it.
Not a bad idea with the keys on the stairs.

What they are doing is breaking into people's houses, day and night time, even when the keys are out of sight. So it is worrying. I am going to install some CCTV, not going to deter or stop them (I will install it indoors for ease of quick installation) but it is better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Superhero said:
Betty Swollocks said:

Not a bad idea with the keys on the stairs.

What they are doing is breaking into people's houses, day and night time, even when the keys are out of sight. So it is worrying. I am going to install some CCTV, not going to deter or stop them (I will install it indoors pointing through a window for ease of quick installation) but it is better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Superhero,
Don't forget that you have the Carnet app and also VW Connect app that both track the location of your car so if it is stolen the Police will have no trouble locating it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rocky T said:
Superhero,
Don't forget that you have the Carnet app and also VW Connect app that both track the location of your car so if it is stolen the Police will have no trouble locating it.
Oh that's great! I never thought of that! Didn't know that worked :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
VW posted a Connect adapter for my current Golf as it didn't come with it. It was a little like a SCSI or SCART plug which I inserted into the port under the steering column.

I don't know where the connection to Carnet is located but it struck me that it would be fairly easy to remove the Connect device if you knew to check for one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
An extra deterrent is to have a 'Beware of the Dog' 🐩 sign near your front door. The opportunist thief will then move on to check out the next house. This is the advise given by the police to my brother following a burglary at his home. Also Amazon sell a variety of 'barking dog security devices/ door bells etc..........or buy a couple of ROTTWEILERS 🐕🐕 :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.