T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
twist

Re: T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Post by twist » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 am

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:25 am
Asked for the engine software update while my car was in for another problem.
Will be interesting to see what way it runs in the winter although mine only had an intermittent kangaroo, hopefully will be gone completely.

One thing I did notice after the update is that the engine seemed more responsive than before unless it was just me stepping out of a 1 litre courtesy car but I don't think so.
Don’t know if you remember but my first T-Roc felt like that immediately after the latest update but then went back to normal a day or two later. Be interesting to see if yours does that too or if it sticks (hopefully the latter!!)
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:37 pm

twist wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 am

Don’t know if you remember but my first T-Roc felt like that immediately after the latest update but then went back to normal a day or two later. Be interesting to see if yours does that too or if it sticks (hopefully the latter!!)
Has the manual gearbox/engine got the self learning like the DSG?
As long as mine doesn't get any worse than the previous roo I'll be able to cope with it but I'd like it gone completely. :P
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
September 2018 :P

twist

Post by twist » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:07 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:37 pm
twist wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:22 am

Has the manual gearbox/engine got the self learning like the DSG?
As long as mine doesn't get any worse than the previous roo I'll be able to cope with it but I'd like it gone completely. :P
The DSG doesn’t really “learn”, it just chooses a program based on how enthusiastically you mash the accelerator. I suspect the manual gearbox does not have such a choice. It doesn’t have to make any decisions since the driver makes them.

Can’t blame you for being hopeful it will go completely, fingers crossed for you!

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Second time out since the software update and I had the kangaroo today.
The worst thing about it is, I haven't had the kangaroo since the cold weather and today it was 22°c.
I think the update has possibly made it worse?
I'll give it a few weeks and see.
I wonder would they reverse it if it comes down to it?
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.

twist

Post by twist » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:42 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 pm
Second time out since the software update and I had the kangaroo today.
The worst thing about it is, I haven't had the kangaroo since the cold weather and today it was 22°c.
I think the update has possibly made it worse?
I'll give it a few weeks and see.
I wonder would they reverse it if it comes down to it?
I guarantee they have a way to downgrade. It would be a very dangerous game if they didn’t - imagine if they introduced a dangerous bug that would take months to fix. The real question is “will they?”.

I suspect if you kick up a huge fuss they’ll do it. They can’t just make your car worse and say “oh well!”

peterh

Post by peterh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am

I had a Mini Cooper S I managed to get them to put the latest software on it. They wanted to charge for it. Apparently BMW only update the software if there is a problem with the car. Anyway the dealer said there was a problem with the car when there wasn’t.
After the new software was loaded when blipping the throttle there was a funny noise that wasn’t there before. I asked them to downgrade the software to the previous version. They couldn’t do it. I complained directly to BMW mini. I got their area technical trouble
shooter out to the car and he sat in the car while I drove it reved it etc. He said he could here the noise but it was ok no problem with the car and they couldn’t downgrade the software.
So hope fully VW will down grade software. The technician said the only way to do it would be to get a new ecu with an older version of software that the units could only be upgraded not downgraded.

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:13 am

peterh wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am
The technician said the only way to do it would be to get a new ecu with an older version of software that the units could only be upgraded not downgraded.
If you get your ecu remapped it can be reversed putting the original software back on, this should be no different. 🤔

The dealer may say different as per usual :roll:

Impala

Post by Impala » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:14 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:13 am
peterh wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am
The technician said the only way to do it would be to get a new ecu with an older version of software that the units could only be upgraded not downgraded.
If you get your ecu remapped it can be reversed putting the original software back on, this should be no different. 🤔

The dealer may say different as per usual :roll:

The latest software was applied to my car (1.5 DSG) back in May. I didn't have a Roo problem before or after and the only possible difference I've noticed is that my fuel consumption may be slightly better.

Perhaps this just re-affirms that the cause of the Roo problem lies elsewhere and software updates were simply attempts to mask it or at least make it better, but with varying success rates for individual cars. The MY20 cars seem to be much better, if not entirely free of the Roo, but there were various changes in that engine for new EU emissions regulations and it is not a simple case of taking the software used for that engine and applying it to earlier cars.

Anyway, I believe VW ecu software updates are just incremental patches and the dealers don't create a full backup which can be restored. I think that is just a matter of the service procedure rather than due to the lack of a technical process to make a backup, as the latter would almost certainly be available to VW development engineers. Independent engine mappers may have the necessary tools/software and inclination to create a full backup before remapping, and the inclination to do so would be in their own self interest to be able to revert in the event of problems. VW will have their own recovery methods, eg if the ecu developed a fault and became unserviceable it would simply be replaced.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D