Road sign recognition

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
vernerbongo2

Re: Road sign recognition

Post by vernerbongo2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Anyone with the new Mib3 infotainment system and traffic sign recognition as standard on the latest T-roc's?
I'm just wondering how accurate the speed limits displayed are?
The speed limits displayed on the older T-roc's are very inaccurate.
Obviously it's the satnav data that's the problem so I'm curious if things have improved? :P ;)
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
September 2018 :P

sametdo

Post by sametdo » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:56 am

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 pm
Anyone with the new Mib3 infotainment system and traffic sign recognition as standard on the latest T-roc's?
I'm just wondering how accurate the speed limits displayed are?
The speed limits displayed on the older T-roc's are very inaccurate.
Obviously it's the satnav data that's the problem so I'm curious if things have improved? :P ;)
It’s still a bit hit and miss. Works best on main roads and dual carriageways. I’ve set mine to give a visual alert when 3mph over the limit. The audible warning becomes a pain quickly.
T-Roc R 2.0 TSI 4Motion 300PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Colour: White Silver
Upholstery: Flint Grey/Titanium Black

Ordered - 21/4/20
BW39 (w/c 21/9)
Delivered 13 October 2020

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 am

sametdo wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:56 am
It’s still a bit hit and miss. Works best on main roads and dual carriageways. I’ve set mine to give a visual alert when 3mph over the limit. The audible warning becomes a pain quickly.
Sounds about the same then 🤔

Funnily enough on the roads I know, it always seems to give a lower speed limit than the actual limit which I suppose is good but can I rely on that being the case on roads I don't know?
One time I noticed the speed limit on a dual carriageway was 20mph, maybe the speed limit when road works were previously being done?
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
September 2018 :P

Paul 49

Post by Paul 49 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:18 pm

No its definitely reading kph, warning comes on ot 30 kph etc, just setting at 12mph makes it closer at lower speed

brid

Post by brid » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:59 pm

At the moment there is not any system that will give anything like decent results.
For sign recog to work properly as a stand alone system it will require speed limit signs to be placed in ordered and correct visual positions.
The system only displays what it sees so any hidden or obscured sign does not exist.
If used in conjunction with sat nav data then conflicts will occur.
If used on non complicated roads like motorways then you will probably have better results as the data blocks are larger but, when used within a more complicated road layout the data blocks are many and updated from the sat nav data more often.
The blocks can and do have program errors as all will know, by default the mapping is usually a min18 months behind the present and can be years old, couple this with human error mapping becomes at times a questimate.
Sign recog will display the correct info until the car enters a sat nav data block to the contrary. Then when a new sign is seen that is displayed until the next block and if the data does not match it all defaults to the satnav and so on. There is always one trying to be dominant.
Sometimes when data blocks are large a sign of 20mph can be read and that can stay with you for a long time even in a 50 limit if that new sign has not been seen or there has not been a data block change issued from the nav data.
In other words what you see on the display can be completely wrong so treat it with a pinch of salt and do your own confirming.
With use you will start to see the failings because until all is perfect with signage and data there is a dispute and a lot of wrong info
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 pm

Given what you say Brid, how can they expect autonomous cars to work and drive at the correct speed. Will there be some additional AI over and above what is in the SatNav and sign recognition systems ? If so, then why is that not part of the latter ? Perhaps the human is expected to intervene if tha car is going too fast or too slow.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

brid

Post by brid » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Impala wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 pm
Given what you say Brid, how can they expect autonomous cars to work and drive at the correct speed. Will there be some additional AI over and above what is in the SatNav and sign recognition systems ? If so, then why is that not part of the latter ? Perhaps the human is expected to intervene if tha car is going too fast or too slow.
I feel that the human has to intervene certainly given the level of automation as is.
Our meagre VW sensors are only a small part of what is really going to be required, plus, the tech to maintain the information up to date and passed frequently to every car using the system.

Our sat nav info is out of date when we receive it, some of the data is several years old and there is only so much effort put in by programmers who then decide what's important. Mainly the main arterial roads and some more serious previous error correction.

To prove the point, our last data update was Nov 2019. In Jan 2020 Spain changed the speed limits on 90% of the National roads so in reality all of Spain has to be reprogrammed for speed limits. They may just blanket the changes by minus10kph overall but then a lot of the info would be wrong for maybe another year and so it goes on.
In the meantime we have to mentally deduct 10kph from the displayed data but then not all so at times it's a guestimate and only visual driver info can be trusted.

I sent info to the HERE mapping centre somewhere I don't really know. It is a voluntary thing. I use a dashcam with GPS and log sections where I find errors on the road layout, new layout items, speed limit corrections, roundabouts etc. Using the GPS and vision on the dashcam I can accurately log changes to the existing member mapping program and transmit it to the centre using my code.
They have then, if they care, to check that the data is accurate and eventually, maybe, make the changes to the existing data mapping. This takes time and may just miss the next update so another year or more may go by before any changes are actually visualized.

If you decide to use the sign recog then that's fine until the satnav data meets another block of data and reverts it back to the correct or incorrect speed limit once again.
If the sign recog system sees a sign saying 40 then it will stay on that even if the limit changes because a new limit sign has not been "seen" or a satnav block change has not been encountered but - as soon a satnav block data if found with different data, it overrules the sign recog to display that.
Best thing , liking sign recog as much as I do, I do not trust any of the info unless I have seen it with my own eyes, its purely a guide and at times not very good one.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019