Retrofit Solutions

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Impala

Retrofit Solutions

Post by Impala » Sat May 11, 2019 7:06 pm

A number of people have posted about retrofitting various original factory fit options, or aftermarket alternatives.

There are also posts about using ODBEleven coding to change or activate various functions.

I came across a German web site for a company which supplies complete retrofit solutions for VAG, BMW, Mercedes etc. For example, they have a complete kit of hardware and coding plug for an original rear view camera (badge replacement). The prices look a bit steep compared to factory fit options.

I found that they also supply 'coding dongles' which I guess are they layman's way to automate the manual coding needed to activate the many features which don't require any additional hardware and just have to be turned on. For example, cars with Active Lane Assist already have the camera needed for Traffic Jam Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition and only additional coding is needed to activate these features.

Using a coding dongle means that and ODBEleven (or similar) is not required, so if you are only ever going to do the one upgrade, then it might be cheaper to use one of these coding dongles. Anyone planning to do more than one upgrade, or interested in tweaking other settings, would be far better to buy an ODBEleven coder.

Anyway, here is a link to the web site for those who want to have a look ...

https://www.kufatec.com/en/volkswagen/vw-t-roc/?p=1
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

twist

Re: Retrofit Solutions

Post by twist » Sat May 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Do these things invalidate your warranty? I can’t imagine VW would be thrilled about you activating features you didn’t pay for.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, assist pack plus, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Stage 3: 17/05/19
Build week (confirmed): 17/06/19
Left Factory (5a): 12/06/19 (1 week early)
Arrived in UK: 23/06/19
Picking up 01/07/19!!

Impala

Re: Retrofit Solutions

Post by Impala » Sat May 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Do these things invalidate your warranty? I can’t imagine VW would be thrilled about you activating features you didn’t pay for.
There is some discussion about that on other forums, and steps VAG and others have already taken or might take to try to prevent the widespread use of these devices. It's not just the coding dongles, as it has been going on across brands for some time using ODBEleven and similar scanners for other manufacturers as they all use similar systems to VAG. And it is not confined to the UK or even Europe.

Some tweaks require codes to be entered, where any 5 digit number like 12345 will be accepted, but apparently authorised workshops can tell if the changes were done by others and so there may be a risk to warranty cover.

I only know about this from what I've picked up reading posts on various forums. Do some Googling and you will find stuff by yourself.

So best to hear the views of people actually using such devices. Maybe some on this forum will oblige.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D