T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Blue 30

T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Post by Blue 30 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 pm

I have started this thread as a spin off from the 1.5tsi kangarooing thread.

I have a new (collected 1st march 2019) 1.5tsi evo t-roc sel dsg. It is the first dsg car I have driven/owned. Since collecting it, I thought it had the problem of kangarooing as known by 1.5 owners & VW, who are now correcting it by doing a software upgrade on the 1.5 cars.
That's when you ask for it !
My car has just had that done, but still on reversing off my drive, then going forward for the first 50metres to a junction, I am still noticing the low revs/speed jerking.
From some replies already received, it appears that my car is possibly exhibiting the known undesirable DSG characteristic of jerking.

My thoughts are... Is that it is the cold start engine fuel enrichment program, the dsg program, the auto parking brake program, all working against each other, thus its doing too much in that short period, giving the driver the bad feel until it starts to warm up & gets flowing !

So.... It would be good to get the thoughts of some other T-roc DSG transmission owners to see if they all do that, primarily when cold & under slow speed manoeuvres. Although I guess if you pull away from cold, and head directly onto a fast flowing road you may not notice it.
If you do reply, please add which engine you also have.
As I say, mine is a 1.5tsi evo SEL model T-roc with DSG. (UK car).
Cheers. T.

Impala

Re: T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Post by Impala » Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks Blue 30.

As posted elsewhere, my 2014 Golf 1.4 TSI DSG had a similar initial jerkiness from a cold start. Reversing from a level driveway was fine, but then I have to move off uphill for 10 yards before turning on to the level again. That short uphill section was when it felt that the engine wasn't picking up and would stutter a bit.

It didn't do this when I got the car at first, and it would only do it occasionally and for as little as 5 seconds and those first 10 yards.

Thankfully my new T-Roc 1.5 TSI DSG doesn't do this (yet), but time will tell. However, I never considered the Golf to be a serious issue and felt there would be little or no point visiting the workshop just to be told they couldn't find anything wrong.

I always put it down to typical cold start hesitation that you might get with most cars, and being automatic you have no control to ease the clutch which is what I would normally do with a manual box in the same situation.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed May 29, 2019 5:05 am

I must admit to never having heard of the “known undesireable DSG characteristic of jerking”. Whilst mine is the 2.0 it is nevertheless a DSG and I do not have this issue. My last 3 cars have all been Audi DSG’s and actually I find the DSG box fitted to the T-ROC to be an improvement on those boxes being slightly smoother through the gear change.

Whilst it could be a DSG issue, this could be due to a faulty box - but as far as I am aware there is no known DSG characteristic of jerking, nor have I seen it reported on other VAG forums.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed May 29, 2019 8:30 am

Don't know about the DSG causing jerkiness, as I felt the minor stuttering on my Golf as described above was due to the engine and not the DSG.

However, the software controlling the gear shifts has to try to predict whether the next shift should be up or down, based on throttle and other inputs. It is accepted that sometimes it can get it wrong if conditions suddenly change. I don't know if that causes any jerkiness or just a slower shift.

There are some videos on YouTube about this, but I don't think there is any mention of jerkiness.

At this early stage in my car's life, I find the DSG on the T-Roc to be smoother than it was on the Golf.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Grrralph

Post by Grrralph » Wed May 29, 2019 8:46 am

Blue - mine is the same model as yours with the same 1.5 DSG engine. Sometimes when cold I experience a slight hesitation / unevenness for just a few seconds, but nothing that I would consider to be a problem, or different from experience with other cars when starting from cold. I don't think that I would have given this a second thought if I haven't read the separate "kangaroo" thread on this forum. Having said that, my wife has a Polo with a 1.2 DSG engine which doesn't show even the slightest sign of hesitation at any time. The problem that you have described is generally more prevalent with the manual gearbox. If yours is much worse than I have described then see the "kangaroo" thread for the action that others have taken, and the available "fix".
Grralph - 1.5 DSG SEL in dark oak brown with black roof - winter pack with side assist plus - ordered mid March '18 - arrived in UK 9 November collected 26 November '18.

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Wed May 29, 2019 9:27 am

Mines exactly same model too, 1.5TSI SEL with DSG but build week 12, 2019.
I also have noticed a slight hesitation/unevenness too for the first few seconds of starting from cold. Again like Grrralph I wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't known about the infamous kangaroo. I've only noticed a couple times when the weather was colder last month, and didn't worry me or my passengers one bit. I think I've previously mentioned it as more like a grasshopper than a kangaroo.
I presume the engine mapping is still not quite right under certain conditions. It felt like the engine was a bit over choked (for those of you who remember the good old carburetors) maybe for a couple seconds and then cleared itself and ran smoothly and impeccably for the rest of the journey.
I don't consider it a problem yet but will keep looking out for it.

Tony
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

Barnaclebob

Post by Barnaclebob » Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 am

Hello Blue 30,
I’ve also got a 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG and to be honest I’ve never encountered and problems whatsoever with mine in over 1,500 miles.
In order to get out of our place we have a rather complicated reverse manoeuvre. From starting the engine (with foot on brake), then selecting Reverse gear, I do not touch the accelerator at all until I eventually select Drive and pull away. All manoeuvring is done on a smooth tick-over without any “jerkiness”. Okay, so I don’t have to encounter any reversing up a steep drive (as some people have to) but it’s completely smooth.
One thing that has got me thinking (particularly after reading many other threads here on the forum) is as to whether some of the so called hesitancy, jerkiness, etc has anything to do with peoples reliance on the auto release of the Parking Brake or the holding of the Auto Hold Function? Personally, being of the “old school” I always manually operate the Parking Brake and only ever engage the Auto Hold except when required to stop the car from rolling backwards. I know these things are all supposed to work flawlessly but things are getting far too complicated... why tempt providence? Just a thought...?
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm

Barnaclebob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 am
Hello Blue 30,
I’ve also got a 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG and to be honest I’ve never encountered and problems whatsoever with mine in over 1,500 miles.
In order to get out of our place we have a rather complicated reverse manoeuvre. From starting the engine (with foot on brake), then selecting Reverse gear, I do not touch the accelerator at all until I eventually select Drive and pull away. All manoeuvring is done on a smooth tick-over without any “jerkiness”. Okay, so I don’t have to encounter any reversing up a steep drive (as some people have to) but it’s completely smooth.
One thing that has got me thinking (particularly after reading many other threads here on the forum) is as to whether some of the so called hesitancy, jerkiness, etc has anything to do with peoples reliance on the auto release of the Parking Brake or the holding of the Auto Hold Function? Personally, being of the “old school” I always manually operate the Parking Brake and only ever engage the Auto Hold except when required to stop the car from rolling backwards. I know these things are all supposed to work flawlessly but things are getting far too complicated... why tempt providence? Just a thought...?
Whilst I don't have DSG and so don't plan to contribute here, I can answer the question you raise above if it relates in general to the 'roo' problem:

No.

Blue 30

Post by Blue 30 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:42 pm

Guys... I didn't start this thread topic to be diversery let alone to cause any conflict between forum members.
But being as I had read all pages of the 'Roo' topic, it was clear that some DSG owners were saying their cars were lumpy/jerky on cold pull always. Hence why I said it was a known phenomenon !
And that's what my 1.5 dsg car does too.
And even with the few replies so far under this heading it appears some others agree. In my case, having recently had the software upgrade done, with VW customer service watching over. I have requested that they log my observations of the still evident cold start pull away jerkiness. They have done so.
What you do, is up to you.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed May 29, 2019 11:42 pm

Blue 30 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:42 pm
Guys... I didn't start this thread topic to be diversery let alone to cause any conflict between forum members.
But being as I had read all pages of the 'Roo' topic, it was clear that some DSG owners were saying their cars were lumpy/jerky on cold pull always. Hence why I said it was a known phenomenon !
And that's what my 1.5 dsg car does too.
And even with the few replies so far under this heading it appears some others agree. In my case, having recently had the software upgrade done, with VW customer service watching over. I have requested that they log my observations of the still evident cold start pull away jerkiness. They have done so.
What you do, is up to you.
I think you were right to start a new thread about DSG lumpy/jerky performance and in doing so separate the topic from the 'Kangaroo' thread as they are different issues.

I'm not reading the 'conflict' you're concerned about? Anyway, I'm keeping out of the DSG conversation; I've no experience to contribute anything worthwhile.