twist

Re: T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Post by twist » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:17 am

Impala wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:02 am
Hi Twist,
twist wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:43 pm
For maneuvering, it’s sometimes easiest to simply push down on the handbrake switch once. That disables both the handbrake and Auto Hold until the next complete stop, at which point they hold the car again (at least that’s how it’s always worked for me!)
That doesn't do anything to the auto-hold on my car, and didn't on my Golf either. In fact, when moving off from parked it is about 50-50 whether or not I manually release the handbrake or just drive off and it releases itself, and I never ever lose the auto-hold function (light out) unless I manually disable it by pressing the button.

When you press down on the handbrake button, do both lights (handbrake & auto-hold) go out and stay out till your next complete stop ? I'm wondering if our cars are the same, but we are just describing the operation differently.
You know what? I think it’s actually a slight difference between how it worked in my old Golf (and surely the same difference in yours?) which was that Auto Hold did not work while the seatbelt was unfastened, nor did automatic release of handbrake on throttle input. I would often release my seatbelt to reverse into my drive so I could look out the back without issue (I had an overly enthusiastic belt tensioner!)

I think maybe in the T-Roc, there is no seatbelt requirement for these features? I will try later and confirm as I haven’t tried this yet.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

claireb

Post by claireb » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 am

I have also experienced this jerking first thing in the morning - around 26 mph. It’s as if the car takes a breath!

This has only started in the last couple of months and did happen this morning even though it’s not particularly cold - I assume it’s just another “quirk” of the T-Roc...
T-ROC R-Line 1.5, white with black roof, park assist, rear camera, beats, DCC, ordered 03/08, build week 01/10, status 5a 25/10, status 6 07/11, status 7 14/11, collected 22nd November 2018 :D

Him119

Post by Him119 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Any advice on how to check the software version?
Also is the update applied to all cars or you have to ask for it?

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Some previous posts indicated that people who have formally raised a complaint with VW Exec office will be contacted by their dealer, otherwise you would have to ask.

However, dealers may also update the software during routine servicing depending on the precise instructions issued by VW.

There may also be a case here to apply the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

kevink

Post by kevink » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 am

Here's our experience of the kangarooing in 1st gear.

Just before Christmas we bought a 1.5tsi manual T-Roc.
Even before purchase the sales person, myself and my wife had stalled it, we put it down to us at the time but within the first week we had identified a fundamental problem with kangarooing and lack of power in first gear.
We went back to VW and said it was unacceptable and in fact dangerous at junctions, roundabouts etc.
The problem was already logged in the VW system.
We wanted to return the car but they offered a special deal on the DSG and we got that instead. On the DSG the problem is still there but is not so bad due to the nature of the automatic.

About a month ago I got a call to say a fix was available and could we bring the car in.
It wasn't convenient to arrange an appointment at the time; I've just tried to do that now and they say our car doesn't need fixing and they don't know how or where the phone calls came from asking me to take it in even though it was their telephone number !
I asked to speak to a technician as an expert would quickly know whether the DSG needed an update as does the manual. Their useless system couldn't display an overview such as whether the update only applied to manuals and not DSGs. Nonsense ! its the same engine. Perhaps they are trying to cut costs as so many vehicles are also affected in Skoda and Seat.

So it has to go in for "investigation" - more nonsense its a known problem !

twist

Post by twist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 pm

kevink wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 am
Here's our experience of the kangarooing in 1st gear.

Just before Christmas we bought a 1.5tsi manual T-Roc.
Even before purchase the sales person, myself and my wife had stalled it, we put it down to us at the time but within the first week we had identified a fundamental problem with kangarooing and lack of power in first gear.
We went back to VW and said it was unacceptable and in fact dangerous at junctions, roundabouts etc.
The problem was already logged in the VW system.
We wanted to return the car but they offered a special deal on the DSG and we got that instead. On the DSG the problem is still there but is not so bad due to the nature of the automatic.

About a month ago I got a call to say a fix was available and could we bring the car in.
It wasn't convenient to arrange an appointment at the time; I've just tried to do that now and they say our car doesn't need fixing and they don't know how or where the phone calls came from asking me to take it in even though it was their telephone number !
I asked to speak to a technician as an expert would quickly know whether the DSG needed an update as does the manual. Their useless system couldn't display an overview such as whether the update only applied to manuals and not DSGs. Nonsense ! its the same engine. Perhaps they are trying to cut costs as so many vehicles are also affected in Skoda and Seat.

So it has to go in for "investigation" - more nonsense its a known problem !
Could be the same as I experienced: my dealer (quite far away) told me a fix was available but the local VW dealership where I go for servicing said there wasn’t. After I pressed them, it seems a fix was released but before a general release, it was being applied to cars leaving the factory. So maybe someone saw the fix released, mistakenly called you to say it was available but then on checking your car, realized it was already applied?

The whole thing is a shambles.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:54 pm

twist wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 pm
The whole thing is a shambles.
It seems that VW don’t see it that way. Manual dud or DSG dud, they still have the money so their business aim is achieved.

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Him119 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Any advice on how to check the software version?
Also is the update applied to all cars or you have to ask for it?
If you have access to a OBD II code reader you can view all the hardware and software versions of all your device modules (computers) on your vehicle.
There's everything from the engine module, gearbox module, dashboard module all the way to the front LED headlights modules available to view. I think I have about 24 modules on my vehicle. Each has its own hardware and software codes.
But the codes are just reference numbers, they don't refer to install dates or anything. Only VW know what they mean.

Other than that, you'll need to speak to a friendly knowledgeable VW tech who could probably look it up on their database.
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

Potsy

Post by Potsy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Mine is no better or worse than when I first got the car, jerky first thing for less than a minute then fine for the rest of the journey.

Whilst not ideal, it doesn't bother me unduly.

What does bother me is the seeming lack of urgency from VW to fix the problem, if it stays this way when I come to change car then I'll be saying goodbye to the VW brand.

Shame as this and my previous Golf have been the best two cars I have ever owned.
T Roc SE
1.5 TSI DSG
Black.