T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Hawkeye

Re: T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Post by Hawkeye » Thu May 30, 2019 6:44 am

Blue 30 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:42 pm
Guys... I didn't start this thread topic to be diversery let alone to cause any conflict between forum members.
But being as I had read all pages of the 'Roo' topic, it was clear that some DSG owners were saying their cars were lumpy/jerky on cold pull always. Hence why I said it was a known phenomenon !
And that's what my 1.5 dsg car does too.
And even with the few replies so far under this heading it appears some others agree. In my case, having recently had the software upgrade done, with VW customer service watching over. I have requested that they log my observations of the still evident cold start pull away jerkiness. They have done so.
What you do, is up to you.
I wouldn’t say there is a conflict here either? From your thread what your are suggesting is that there is an issue with DSG gearboxes but that your engine is fine.
Whilst that may be the case, in the ‘roo’ thread, both DSG and Manual gearbox owners have experienced the hesitation (more so it seems the manual owners) , some even after the fix has been applied. The problem there though is with the engine management software not the DSG gearbox.
Hence why we are saying there is no known DSG issue that you refer to, the problem being still with the engine management software fix either not having been applied or not having worked.
Taking the engine out of the equation for the moment, if there was a known DSG issue then that would affect all owners across the VAG range with DSG gearboxes - and from what I can see there are no general DSG issues being reported.

I think your issue more may be that the ‘roo’ software fix applied by the garage hasn’t worked in your instance, and that it is the engine, not the gearbox still causing your problem. I have read elsewhere (can’t remember if on here or not), that VAG group are working on a secondary update due for release in a few months, but whether there is any truth in that I don’t know.

So no conflict - all we are saying is don’t discount that any software update you may have had hasn’t worked.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Potsy

Post by Potsy » Thu May 30, 2019 2:14 pm

Mine is the 1.5 dsg SE, had exactly what you describe in the original post.

I reverse about 20 yards to turn around in the morning, very stuttery/jerky at low revs.

Into drive and still the same for a few seconds then it's gone and doesn't return until I leave work over 12 hours later.

Will try the 'no revs/tickover' only manoeuvre next time and see if that smooths things out.

All in all not a big deal, will mention it at service time later this year and see what they say.
T Roc SE
1.5 TSI DSG
Black.

Blue 30

Post by Blue 30 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Potsy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:14 pm
Mine is the 1.5 dsg SE, had exactly what you describe in the original post.

I reverse about 20 yards to turn around in the morning, very stuttery/jerky at low revs.

Into drive and still the same for a few seconds then it's gone and doesn't return until I leave work over 12 hours later.

Will try the 'no revs/tickover' only manoeuvre next time and see if that smooths things out.

All in all not a big deal, will mention it at service time later this year and see what they say.
Eloquently put... Many thanks.
Please let us know what is said from the dealer.
My 1st service isn't until 01/03/2020, but I will make enquires at an appropriate time later this year.
I too have yet to try an at idle manoeuvre. I might even disable the auto braking whilst doing so... That's once the streets kids and families have gone to school/work :)

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:53 am

Blue 30 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 pm
I have started this thread as a spin off from the 1.5tsi kangarooing thread.

I have a new (collected 1st march 2019) 1.5tsi evo t-roc sel dsg. It is the first dsg car I have driven/owned. Since collecting it, I thought it had the problem of kangarooing as known by 1.5 owners & VW, who are now correcting it by doing a software upgrade on the 1.5 cars.
That's when you ask for it !
My car has just had that done, but still on reversing off my drive, then going forward for the first 50metres to a junction, I am still noticing the low revs/speed jerking.
From some replies already received, it appears that my car is possibly exhibiting the known undesirable DSG characteristic of jerking.

My thoughts are... Is that it is the cold start engine fuel enrichment program, the dsg program, the auto parking brake program, all working against each other, thus its doing too much in that short period, giving the driver the bad feel until it starts to warm up & gets flowing !

So.... It would be good to get the thoughts of some other T-roc DSG transmission owners to see if they all do that, primarily when cold & under slow speed manoeuvres. Although I guess if you pull away from cold, and head directly onto a fast flowing road you may not notice it.
If you do reply, please add which engine you also have.
As I say, mine is a 1.5tsi evo SEL model T-roc with DSG. (UK car).
Cheers. T.
IMO the problem sounds like the "Roo". Owners with DSG boxes are helped against the kangaroo by the DSG gearbox. When you press the accelerator, there is a slight hesitation while the DSG decides what to do. This allows the turbo to start spinning, thereby reducing the back pressure caused by the Miller engine. DSG's also change gear to 2nd seemingly as soon as forward motion is detected - meaning "Roo" reduced as turbo is spinning and now in 2nd gear.

As a test, when setting off when engine is cold, put gearbox into manual first gear and set off, preventing an immediate change of gear.
If you "feel the Roo" bounce around then thats that. If there is no difference then it sounds like a box problem, but I doubt it.

As an aside, when I test drove a 1.5 it jerked badly. But I quickly reverted to my old diesel driving style of a 'blip' of the accelerator to get the turbo spinning before letting clutch out to set off - jerkiness just about vanished. I wonder if people not having problems with a "roo" are previous diesel owners doing this without realising? Just a thought like...
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red - it's great ☺

richie_deane1970

Post by richie_deane1970 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:06 pm

i have a 2018 1.5 evo Dsg design and its horrendous from cold! it actually sounds like it is mis firing and you cant accelerate gently when backing off the drive or moving off otherwise it just stutters and spits. It gets better when warm though. I was promised a fix by the end of quarter 2 of this year and am still waiting. If its not sorted by 1st July ill be back onto Vw finance and rejecting the car. ( i was given 500 quid back in march as a non enjoyment of my new car payment as they admit that the car is faulty). I do tend to put it in Sport mode for the 1st mile or 2 which warms it up quicker and makes it run better but it does increase the already rubbish fuel consumption.

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:31 pm

richie_deane1970 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:06 pm
i have a 2018 1.5 evo Dsg design and its horrendous from cold! it actually sounds like it is mis firing and you cant accelerate gently when backing off the drive or moving off otherwise it just stutters and spits. It gets better when warm though. I was promised a fix by the end of quarter 2 of this year and am still waiting. If its not sorted by 1st July ill be back onto Vw finance and rejecting the car. ( i was given 500 quid back in march as a non enjoyment of my new car payment as they admit that the car is faulty). I do tend to put it in Sport mode for the 1st mile or 2 which warms it up quicker and makes it run better but it does increase the already rubbish fuel consumption.
That sounds bad.

Certainly my May 2019 1.5 DSG doesn't have any such Roo problem, and from what others are saying, their recent 1.5 DSG cars are also OK. What puzzles me is why older cars can't be fixed by applying the latest ECU and DSG software, which would suggest there are also other differences with the latest cars.

Also, my fuel consumption is actually very good, and along with others there is little or no evidence of it being 'rubbish',with manual or DSG box and with or without a Roo.

The combined problems you've described suggests some other fundamental problem with your specific car. Has your car actually been examined and tested by the workshop, rather than just an assumpion being made that it is just another Roo ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

troc-on

Post by troc-on » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 am

I know its of no real valuable input but my 1.0 manual also has hesitancy/lumpiness when first moving forward from a cold start, mines feels more like a mis-fire and wrong heat range of plugs in it lol I put it down to it having less cylinders than my last cars. It is only for first few hundred yards and I drive to slowly I think as my idle goes to 1400 unless I have a spirited drive. I also use 99 RON fuel in all my cars which should help (in my head) lol

richie_deane1970

Post by richie_deane1970 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 am

my car went in back on march but I don't even think they went near it apart from to wash it! I think they just assumed. The good news is that I rang VW this morning and the fix is available and its going in on Friday! Im gonna ask that they do a full diagnostic on it! Curious to know what do you class as good MPG? I struggle to get above 40 even on long journeys and driving like miss daisy!

troc-on

Post by troc-on » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 am

Over 2.4k miles using 99RON petrol my avg is less than 33MPG, I don't drive it quickly as I have 2 sports cars for thrills, Audi drivers hate me in the Roc as I obey the limits and don't thrash it everywhere, they are usually all over my tail trying to intimidate me lol
My Roc replaced a 1.4TSI 65 plate scirocco and it did AVG 44MPG over 3 years doing same trips with same driver.
In contrast my Subaru does 8MPG and my Nissan about 14MPG if driven spiritedly lol

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:52 pm

richie_deane1970 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 am
my car went in back on march but I don't even think they went near it apart from to wash it! I think they just assumed. The good news is that I rang VW this morning and the fix is available and its going in on Friday! Im gonna ask that they do a full diagnostic on it! Curious to know what do you class as good MPG? I struggle to get above 40 even on long journeys and driving like miss daisy!
I haven't kept precise records of individual journeys, and most of my use so far is on short 3 mile runs.

However, I have done one 30 mile and one 50 mile run (60 & 100 mile round trips) where I got over 50 mpg on all 4 legs, about a quarter to half on 40-50 mph A-roads and the rest on 50-60 mph dual carriageway & motorway (still running in :D ).

I also managed 55 mpg on a 13 mile run last week, 1/2 on 30 mph built up area and 1/2 on 40-50 mph single carriageway A-road.

Many others on the forum have posted similar figures.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D