T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Impala

Re: T-roc DSG jerking when cold...

Post by Impala » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:39 pm

How long does it last ? Any other symptoms ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Him119

Post by Him119 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:52 pm

So far not more than 20-30 secs... but as i said it goes away as soon as the car is in D3
Also only happens when its been a cold night

twist

Post by twist » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Him119 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 pm
I have similar jerking issue when i drive off with cold engine in D2, but it goes away as soon as car is in D3
Not sure if its ‘roo’ issue... no other complaints have done arnd 500m n getting arnd 40 mpg

Not sure how to confirm...

.................................................................................
Grey/Black TRoc 1.5 TSI evo SE, bought July ‘19
Exactly the issue I have. 100% kangarooing. If you watch the rev counter, you’ll see it jump up and down while the car is doing it.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, assist pack plus, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Stage 3: 17/05/19
Build week (confirmed): 17/06/19
Left Factory (5a): 12/06/19 (1 week early)
Arrived in UK: 23/06/19
Collected 01/07/19!!

RP22

Post by RP22 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:54 am

Hello, we have a 19 plate 1.5 Evo DSG. We have two problems with it [a] wind noise around the top of the driver's door [see earlier post] and poor response from the accelerator pedal when manoeuvring. For example, you are concentrating on squeezing in somewhere, trying to go forwards gently with the accelerator, no response and then a jerk. Same in reverse.
I have seen refs to the kangaroo effect, it's not that bad, it just makes parking hard work. I understand that dealers can upgrade the software, but does anybody know of any way if the owner can tell which, if any, updates have been applied? From elsewhere in the Forum, I saw this web site recommended https://www.autotechnicalbulletins.co.uk/ for technical bulletins and fixes specific for your vehicle. I have used it and, for the price they want, worth it.
I accept that a trip to the dealers is on the cards, I just want to find out as much as I can before I go. It might not sound like it, but we think the T-Roc is excellent, with a few things we would like to improve as much as possible.

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:17 pm

RP22 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:54 am
Hello, we have a 19 plate 1.5 Evo DSG. We have two problems with it [ a ] wind noise around the top of the driver's door [see earlier post] and [ b ] poor response from the accelerator pedal when manoeuvring. For example, you are concentrating on squeezing in somewhere, trying to go forwards gently with the accelerator, no response and then a jerk. Same in reverse.
I have seen refs to the kangaroo effect, it's not that bad, it just makes parking hard work. I understand that dealers can upgrade the software, but does anybody know of any way if the owner can tell which, if any, updates have been applied? From elsewhere in the Forum, I saw this web site recommended https://www.autotechnicalbulletins.co.uk/ for technical bulletins and fixes specific for your vehicle. I have used it and, for the price they want, worth it.
I accept that a trip to the dealers is on the cards, I just want to find out as much as I can before I go. It might not sound like it, but we think the T-Roc is excellent, with a few things we would like to improve as much as possible.

At risk of stating the obvious, but when doing those parking manoeuvers, have you tried cancelling the Auto-Hold ? Having had a Golf DSG with auto-hold for 5 years before getting my T-Roc, I'd already learned lots of tricks. As well as cancelling auto-hold when parking, I also disable the stop-start system.
Ordered 22/06/18

RP22

Post by RP22 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Hello Impala, thank you for that. I am new to VWs, DSGs, Auto-Hold and electronic handbrakes. Disabling the Auto-Hold makes it much easier to manoeuvre at very low speeds, much better. As is always the case it raises more questions which you might be able to help with [a] from reading the manual it suggests that Auto-Hold should switch itself back on the next time you start the car, which it does not seem to do. Important, I think, because in the normal course of events, we have got to rely on Auto-Hold at junctions and traffic lights. Also In the Car > Settings > Park and Manoeuvre there is a box called 'Manoeuvre Braking' which is, and always has been, ticked. What does this do? Its title suggests it should be helping, but any clarification would be appreciated. Regards.

Tigermad

Post by Tigermad » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:14 pm

RP22 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:59 pm
Hello Impala, thank you for that. I am new to VWs, DSGs, Auto-Hold and electronic handbrakes. Disabling the Auto-Hold makes it much easier to manoeuvre at very low speeds, much better. As is always the case it raises more questions which you might be able to help with [a] from reading the manual it suggests that Auto-Hold should switch itself back on the next time you start the car, which it does not seem to do. Important, I think, because in the normal course of events, we have got to rely on Auto-Hold at junctions and traffic lights. Also In the Car > Settings > Park and Manoeuvre there is a box called 'Manoeuvre Braking' which is, and always has been, ticked. What does this do? Its title suggests it should be helping, but any clarification would be appreciated. Regards.

Hi. I don’t think autohold switches back on. You have to do it manually.
Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35

twist

Post by twist » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:43 pm

@RP22 I think you’ve mixed up the auto handbrake and Auto Hold functions. They’re separate.

For maneuvering, it’s sometimes easiest to simply push down on the handbrake switch once. That disables both the handbrake and Auto Hold until the next complete stop, at which point they hold the car again (at least that’s how it’s always worked for me!)

For complex maneuvers involving back and forth a couple times, disabling Auto Hold by pushing its dedicated button (light goes off) is likely easiest but it will not come back on automatically that way.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, assist pack plus, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Stage 3: 17/05/19
Build week (confirmed): 17/06/19
Left Factory (5a): 12/06/19 (1 week early)
Arrived in UK: 23/06/19
Collected 01/07/19!!

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:28 pm

RP22 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:59 pm

As others have already stated, once finished with the back & forward parking manoeuvres, you simply press the Auto-Hold button again to bring the light back on. I leave it like that all the time except when I need the fine movements such as for parking.

The manoeuvre braking you refer to is when the car applies the brakes automatically (at under 6mph ?) to prevent hitting a stationary object in front or behind. I think a few people have posted about testing it in front of their garage door :D and one or two, myself included, have experienced it in operation - the application of the brakes is very rapid and hard, and it does give you quite a jolt :o
Ordered 22/06/18

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:02 am

Hi Twist,
twist wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:43 pm
For maneuvering, it’s sometimes easiest to simply push down on the handbrake switch once. That disables both the handbrake and Auto Hold until the next complete stop, at which point they hold the car again (at least that’s how it’s always worked for me!)
That doesn't do anything to the auto-hold on my car, and didn't on my Golf either. In fact, when moving off from parked it is about 50-50 whether or not I manually release the handbrake or just drive off and it releases itself, and I never ever lose the auto-hold function (light out) unless I manually disable it by pressing the button.

When you press down on the handbrake button, do both lights (handbrake & auto-hold) go out and stay out till your next complete stop ? I'm wondering if our cars are the same, but we are just describing the operation differently.
Ordered 22/06/18