Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Impala

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Impala » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:42 am

Well a third party satnav sitting alongside the VW system is hardly an integrated solution, and frankly defeats the purpose of the satnav in the car. If they can't display the correct speed limits then what else might be wrong in the navigation ?

On the Tiguan forum, people are talking about being directed off a dual carriageway and/or motorway, down the exit slip road and then directed back on to the same road via the adjoining slip road. Others have been directed to cycle paths, or off main roads and down lanes and eventually rejoining the the main road they had left !
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 am

Impala wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:42 am
On the Tiguan forum, people are talking about being directed off a dual carriageway and/or motorway, down the exit slip road and then directed back on to the same road via the adjoining slip road. Others have been directed to cycle paths, or off main roads and down lanes and eventually rejoining the the main road they had left !
That happens quite a lot of Sat-Nav's in cars not just VW, I think it's a feature of the algorithm they use in many instances for calculating shortest route and the suchlike. I found a long time ago that you just need to glance at the display to confirm what twat-nav is telling you and what you think it telling you. Given they give so many options for Eco route, fastest route, diversions, waypoints etc, I guess once in a while they may seem a bit dumb in what they tell you.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm

I agree about the vagaries of most satnavs and experienced a similar issue with that on my Golf, but the stories on the Tiguan forum claim these issues became much worse one or two updates ago and some have been reverting back to older versions to get rid of the new problems while living with somewhat out of date maps.

There are also similar stories about incorrect speed limits on Skoda and SEAT forums, despite the fact that the HERE maps (data provider for VAG) show the correct limits, so it seems more likely that it is the VAG base satnav software which is not interpreting the map data correctly.
Ordered 22/06/18

fez74uk

Post by fez74uk » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Slightly off topic I don’t know if anyone is interested in speed camera POI on the Satnav with audible warning whether satnav on or not!, got it off a guy on ebay comes on sd card i can copy the card and send it via email with instructions, if anyone’s interested in it just pm.

A73081B4-51E5-42A8-936D-025743DFA0FE.jpeg

7B55822C-35F7-460B-8C9A-187A2831C4F2.jpeg

D2B93EC5-D773-41F5-BF58-BA0236CA5C7D.jpeg

1.5 R Line DSG in Ravenna Blue.
Ordered 11/1/19
Confirmed build date 22/4/19
Notified it was built 15/4/19
In transit 23/4/19
Arrived in the uk 11/5/19
Collected 07/06/19

ianchelt

Post by ianchelt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm
I've put my TomTom (which I use on my motorbike and has the latest maps) in mine and had the same route displayed as that on my Sat Nav. TomTom manage to get all the speeds showing ok all the time (not always right, but then no sat nav ever is), but at least it displayed it all the time.

So if TomTom can do it VW, how come you can't?
From what I understand... TomTom supply the mapping for VW factory installed SatNav's. The Dealer fitted SatNav option is different and the mapping is supplied by Garmin. (Which in my view is much superior. As fitted to the wife's Golf and my BMW Motorbike.

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Sorry to disagree ianchelt, but the map data for the current range of VAG Sat Navs is supplied by HERE Technologies, which was previously owned by Nokia before being sold in 2015 to a consortium of automotive companies including Audi and BMW.

Besides providing map data to numerous car manufacturers, HERE also provides map data for Garmin and others. I don't think there is any connection with TomTom, although there was some recent speculation that TomTom was about to be bought by HERE but I don't think that has happened (yet).

The updates to the Discover Media sat nav I had in my 2014 Golf were supplied by HERE for at least the past couple of years. I don't have any files from further back to check all the way back to 2014.

However, the quality of the navigation system and what you see on the screen, is not solely determined by the map data, which is why people discussing the issues with VW Discover Media on the Tiguan forum report that using HERE maps outside of the VW system do not suffer from the reported issues. The individual car manufacturers have their own sat nav control systems (head system) which uses and interprets the map data supplied by HERE, so even though several manufacturers can actually be using the same map data they can deliver entirely different user experiences and interfaces. Hence the difficulty getting these issues fixed, with VW blaming the map data and saying they are not responsible for that and cannot fix it, so tell car owners to report the issues via HERE Map Creator.

For info, the HERE web portal for map updates for numerous brands can be found here (no pun intended) ...

https://here.navigation.com/europe/?&ut ... lsrc=aw.ds

Selecting Volkswagen from there takes you to the same web page that you get via the VW Infotainment web site ... https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... download#/

Update:
Having just read something on another forum, I looked on the back of the case that my T-Roc Sat Nav SD card came in and it states 'Maps by TomTom'

I am totally confused now as to why HERE would be providing updates rather than TomTom and I can't find any link between them.

Argh ... VW confusion again :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ordered 22/06/18

brid

Post by brid » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 pm

I have heard that the TomTom connection is due to the new satellite system that was recently rolled out. April 2019. These changes could have some effect on the functions of the nav mapping and there have been a lot of the "less new" units being scrapped for updates as they just will not accept the new logs used in the positioning.
I have been a map correction reporter for Here , in Spain, since the Nokia days but changes are a slow process with errors eg speed limits, junction priorities, roundabouts, new road layouts etc etc taking up to a year to enable as they have to be all scrutinized and verified before any new coding takes place.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanks for the added info Brid.

On a SEAT forum, the move from HERE to TomTom is being blamed for the missing speed limits on motorways and also for sometimes displaying the lower speed limit for towing even when no trailer is attached and trailer option is de-selected.

Starting to think I made a mistake getting in to this, as it seems like another mess that VW can't sort.
Ordered 22/06/18

brid

Post by brid » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Impala wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 pm
Thanks for the added info Brid.

On a SEAT forum, the move from HERE to TomTom is being blamed for the missing speed limits on motorways and also for sometimes displaying the lower speed limit for towing even when no trailer is attached and trailer option is de-selected.

Starting to think I made a mistake getting in to this, as it seems like another mess that VW can't sort.
Well its not complete disaster, at least you know your elevation just in case you get misdirected up a hillock or two.
One can call vw assist with a precise position, 200 metres above the sea, somewhere. 😂
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 pm

To be honest, whilst its annoying that the speed limit doesn't show, its no biggie, most of the times we should know what the speed limit is in the UK when we are driving around, from the basics of the highway code. Does Sat-Nav navigate me to where I want to get to. Yes it does. Which to me is the main point of Sat-Nav.

The problem comes more I think when one drives abroad and is unfamiliar with the speed limit changes, for instance it can change on the motorways in France and if you miss the signs, then you wouldn't necessarily know. But then I don't drive abroad in a car much, so again, no biggie.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19