Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Display scratches.

16K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  Bellasdad 
#1 ·
Seems that the perspex (i presume it is perspex) on the central display is easy to scratch.I cleaned the inside of my T-ROC on saturday with a soft cloth and dashboard polish.I did not notice the scratches along the bottom of the perspex until today (monday) when the sun was shining on it.Is this another cheap product that VW have put into the T-ROC.....The white line in the middle of the photo is a reflection.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Steve said:
Yes its very annoying.
Yep, those marks are not nice. The only 'good' thing I can think to say is that when we resume our normal weather, there will be no sun to 'reveal' this sort of thing.

If there's a positive to be had, it's that by posting here you will save a few of us from the same fate so thanks for that Steve :)

#5 ·
Unfortunately the dangers of dashboard polish (and possible dirt on the cloth from cleaning the dash) - happens on a lot of cars. I use my glasses cloth and glasses spray cleaner on the clear plastics. And still get off light marks

Very annoying for it to have happened though - although with the proper materials the scratches - I assume they are only light - should polish out. I'm not going to recommend anything, as products do vary for this, but a word with a professional detailer might just reveal what to use, as they would be more knowledgeable than I.

#6 ·
T Roo said:
Steve said:
Yes its very annoying.
Yep, those marks are not nice. The only 'good' thing I can think to say is that when we resume our normal weather, there will be no sun to 'reveal' this sort of thing.

If there's a positive to be had, it's that by posting here you will save a few of us from the same fate so thanks for that Steve :)
I know what you mean by our normal weather so the scratches won't look so bad 😂

#7 ·
Hawkeye said:
Unfortunately the dangers of dashboard polish (and possible dirt on the cloth from cleaning the dash) - happens on a lot of cars. I use my glasses cloth and glasses spray cleaner on the clear plastics. And still get off light marks

Very annoying for it to have happened though - although with the proper materials the scratches - I assume they are only light - should polish out. I'm not going to recommend anything, as products do vary for this, but a word with a professional detailer might just reveal what to use, as they would be more knowledgeable than I.
I would imagine that it is not a easy part to replace either,having to remove part of the dashboard to get to it.Its not to bad at the moment so I can put up with it and will have to be more careful in the future.

#8 ·
Steve said:
Hawkeye said:

I would imagine that it is not a easy part to replace either,having to remove part of the dashboard to get to it.Its not to bad at the moment so I can put up with it and will have to be more careful in the future.
Still annoying though Steve, and in all honesty you should be able to wipe over without that happening.
If you look on Amazon, there are some plastic 'fillers' that you wipe on - no experience of these, so can't comment but may be an option perhaps

#9 ·
I always use a micro-fibre cloth. By itself it is good enough to get rid of dust and any fogging, and if it needs anything more I give the cloth a little spray of Klear Screen LCD cleaner.

Are you sure none of that is a residue from the polish you used Steve ? A wipe with a micro-fibre might be worth a test on a small area, but take care there isn't any 'grit' left behind from the original.

#10 ·
Hawkeye said:
Steve said:
Hawkeye said:

Still annoying though Steve, and in all honesty you should be able to wipe over without that happening.
If you look on Amazon, there are some plastic 'fillers' that you wipe on - no experience of these, so can't comment but may be an option perhaps
Thanks for the info,I will take a look at Amazon

#11 ·
Impala said:
I always use a micro-fibre cloth. By itself it is good enough to get rid of dust and any fogging, and if it needs anything more I give the cloth a little spray of Klear Screen LCD cleaner.

Are you sure none of that is a residue from the polish you used Steve ? A wipe with a micro-fibre might be worth a test on a small area, but take care there isn't any 'grit' left behind from the original.
It must of been a collection of grit and dust that had collected at the bottom of the screen.As the scratches only seem to be at the bottom.

#13 ·
Pbloom said:
For those of you with digital dash , there are for reasonable price a type of screen saver like you can get for a phone,iPad etc ,that will protect actual screen and can be removed if need be .
That's interesting - do you have a link you could put up for one?

I have a screen saver over my Infotainment screen, but haven't seen one for the dash.

#15 ·
#16 ·
Hawkeye said:
Pbloom said:
For those of you with digital dash , there are for reasonable price a type of screen saver like you can get for a phone,iPad etc ,that will protect actual screen and can be removed if need be .

I have a screen saver over my Infotainment screen, but haven't seen one for the dash.
I've fitted one of these:-
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076YXD54Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap and easy to apply, doesn't affect the operation of the touch screen.

#17 ·
#18 ·
BarryF said:
Hawkeye said:
Pbloom said:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076YXD54Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think that's only for the Infotainment screen though @BarryF, not the TFT Dash screen?

#19 ·
Looking at those scratches again, it does seem like a cheap screen has proven to be not very durable. What with the roo, the spoiler coming off, the hard plastic everywhere, the mooing brakes, handbrake jams, steering wheel scratches and other assorted 'digital' issues, is this a well made car?

I've always thought of VW's as a brand of quality, but, well what do you all think? Should owners need to be buying after-market protection for fundamental build parts?

#20 ·
Hawkeye said:
BarryF said:
Hawkeye said:

I think that's only for the Infotainment screen though @BarryF, not the TFT Dash screen?
sorry, mis-read the request - more haste, less speed :oops:

#21 ·
T Roo said:
Looking at those scratches again, it does seem like a cheap screen has proven to be not very durable. What with the roo, the spoiler coming off, the hard plastic everywhere, the mooing brakes, handbrake jams, steering wheel scratches and other assorted 'digital' issues, is this a well made car?

I've always thought of VW's as a brand of quality, but, well what do you all think? Should owners need to be buying after-market protection for fundamental build parts?
What do you actually like about the T roc?
I'm intrigued, there must be something that ticks a box or two.
Overall I'm very satisfied with mine, a couple of things could be better yeah but the VW quality is still evident, to me anyway.
Yes, I am wearing my rose tinted glasses before you ask.

#23 ·
BarryF said:
Hawkeye said:
Pbloom said:

I fitted the same one a couple of weeks ago

#24 ·
#25 ·
Bellasdad said:
What do you actually like about the T roc?
I'm intrigued, there must be something that ticks a box or two.
Overall I'm very satisfied with mine, a couple of things could be better yeah but the VW quality is still evident, to me anyway.
Yes, I am wearing my rose tinted glasses before you ask.
The T-Roc is a beautiful design and, on the face of it, competitively priced. I also think VW are a quality brand.

But the things I've mentioned have all been outed quite often on the forum and I wondered if this was impacting on the views of others.

I'm assuming that as you are very satisfied with your car, you haven't experienced any problems; others haven't had such a glowing new car experience.

I'm intrigued like you and all I'm asking is this: is the seduction of a beautiful body concealing the dark secret that she looks good but behind the mask she's cheap?

It does happen you know :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.