Tyres

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
trocsel
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:46 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Tyres

Post by trocsel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:08 am
Interested too know how everyone else's tyres are wearing?
Maybe I'm just not driving enough and the car just sitting ruins them?
My tyres never ever make it to the tread wear marker, they normally perish first but after 4 years maybe and not 1 year.

E-mailed bridgestone tonight, maybe I should have ran with them longer too see how the other tyres wear? They aren't that bad.
I have just had my T-ROC serviced.
Inspection has reported that fronts 4mm and rears 5mm
Mileage 13000

Bridgestone Turanza
2.0 SEL TDI 4MOTION 150PS 6 speed manual
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Sports suspension & Progressive steering
Montego Bay 18” alloys
Winter Pack
Removable Towbar
Rear View Camera

Deleted User 925

Re: Tyres

Post by Deleted User 925 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:57 pm

I never followed up on the reply from bridgestone, decided to leave it in the meantime.
Also a friend said let VW do the running, why should I. :roll:

Barnaclebob
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Barnaclebob » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:14 am

Back on 30 March this year, under a previous thread “Tyres”, I wrote about the tyres fitted to my car - specifically the Falken Azensis FK453 215/50R 18 92W and the fact that it was a summer tyre. I stated at that time (amongst other things) that “it compromises safety to drive on summer tyres in winter”.
With that in mind, and having just experienced our first frost, I decided to look up the subject further...
Apparently VW are fitting summer tyres to all T-Rocs in the UK whether they be Falken, Continental, Bridgestone, or Michelin - mainly because of our “milder climate” compared to mainland Europe.
Evidently all summer tyres underperform in temperatures lower than 7 degC and it’s recommended not to drive on them below 5 degC. (In the event of an accident in winter could this be used against you? Just a thought.)
Summer tyres have less natural rubber compound than winter tyres - so they’re not as soft. This firmness helps the tyre to grip wet and dry roads in milder temperatures. However, when temperatures fall below +7 degC, this extra rigidity can cause problems. The colder it gets the stiffer the summer tyres become which leads to cracking..
Summer tyres are less efficient on snow, and braking distances are much longer in colder weather even on dry roads.
I’m not sure about other T-Roc owners here on the Forum but I can’t afford to have two sets of tyres/wheels and the subsequent storage problems of having the two. My only recourse is to maintain the slightly lower “comfort” air pressure in my tyres, allow for longer stopping distances in cold weather, and drive a little more cautiously.
I think this subject requires further consideration...?
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

Drw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Drw » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:44 am

It is worth considering moving to a tyre like Michelin Cross Climate when the tyres need replacing, that seems to have excellent reviews for all conditions.

Barnaclebob
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Barnaclebob » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:52 pm

It might be worth changing to any All Seasons tyres sometime in the future when the tyres are worn. In the meantime my car is only just over six months old with about 6 mm tread on the front tyres... So I, like many others, have got to at least get through this winter.
My main concern is that no matter how careful you might drive (allowing for “winter conditions”) if you’re involved in an accident (even if you think you’re blameless) would the fact that your vehicle was on summer tyres be a mitigating factor in proportioning the cause of the accident?
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

User avatar
T Roo
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 am

Re: Tyres

Post by T Roo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:18 pm

Barnaclebob wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:52 pm
My main concern is that no matter how careful you might drive (allowing for “winter conditions”) if you’re involved in an accident (even if you think you’re blameless) would the fact that your vehicle was on summer tyres be a mitigating factor in proportioning the cause of the accident?
Imho no, as long as the tyres you're using comply with (at least) the minimum standards set for use on UK roads. To my knowledge, no UK insurers insist specifically on 'winter' tyres, indeed, there are insurance companies apparently who class winter tyres as an aftermarket modification, so if you do fit them you should tell your insurer.

Barnaclebob
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Barnaclebob » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:06 am

T Roo wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:18 pm
Barnaclebob wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:52 pm
My main concern is that no matter how careful you might drive (allowing for “winter conditions”) if you’re involved in an accident (even if you think you’re blameless) would the fact that your vehicle was on summer tyres be a mitigating factor in proportioning the cause of the accident?
Imho no, as long as the tyres you're using comply with (at least) the minimum standards set for use on UK roads. To my knowledge, no UK insurers insist specifically on 'winter' tyres, indeed, there are insurance companies apparently who class winter tyres as an aftermarket modification, so if you do fit them you should tell your insurer.
I agree with you T Roo and I think what you say is true. However, if tyre manufacturers are stating that their summer tyres shouldn’t be used below +5 degC, and you’re involved in an accident when the temperature is below this, what would be the position of the police when they do their accident investigation? They always maintain the position of “ignorance is no defence in the face of the law”...
Further, with this subject in mind, I went on line to find a winter or all season tyre suitable for the 18” wheel fitted to the T-Roc... there aren’t any! WTF!
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

Drw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Drw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Barnaclebob wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:06 am
T Roo wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:18 pm
Barnaclebob wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:52 pm
My main concern is that no matter how careful you might drive (allowing for “winter conditions”) if you’re involved in an accident (even if you think you’re blameless) would the fact that your vehicle was on summer tyres be a mitigating factor in proportioning the cause of the accident?
Imho no, as long as the tyres you're using comply with (at least) the minimum standards set for use on UK roads. To my knowledge, no UK insurers insist specifically on 'winter' tyres, indeed, there are insurance companies apparently who class winter tyres as an aftermarket modification, so if you do fit them you should tell your insurer.
I agree with you T Roo and I think what you say is true. However, if tyre manufacturers are stating that their summer tyres shouldn’t be used below +5 degC, and you’re involved in an accident when the temperature is below this, what would be the position of the police when they do their accident investigation? They always maintain the position of “ignorance is no defence in the face of the law”...
Further, with this subject in mind, I went on line to find a winter or all season tyre suitable for the 18” wheel fitted to the T-Roc... there aren’t any! WTF!
What is the spec on your tyre ?

Barnaclebob
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Barnaclebob » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 pm

The specification on my tyre is thus:
Falken Azenis. FK453CC. 215/50R18. 92W
Further details:
DOT. R82/2. AM1R2118. E11. 021121. S2WR2. 0213766
Treadware 240. Traction A. Temperature A

I understand that the 215/50 18 wheel is standard on the SEL and I haven’t been able to find an Allseason tyre suitable for that wheel. I’m not interested in having two sets of tyres.
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

Drw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Drw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:43 pm


Post Reply