Tyres

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
User avatar
T Roo
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 am

Re: Tyres

Post by T Roo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Barnaclebob wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:06 am
I agree with you T Roo and I think what you say is true. However, if tyre manufacturers are stating that their summer tyres shouldn’t be used below +5 degC, and you’re involved in an accident when the temperature is below this, what would be the position of the police when they do their accident investigation? They always maintain the position of “ignorance is no defence in the face of the law”...
Further, with this subject in mind, I went on line to find a winter or all season tyre suitable for the 18” wheel fitted to the T-Roc... there aren’t any! WTF!
Imho, there's a subtle difference between what manufacturers say you shouldn't do and what the law says you mustn't do. I think if your tread is ok you have complied with the requirement of the law. If it was any other way, a car taken for MOT in the winter found not to have winter tyres would automatically fail and I've never heard of that.

Manufacturers are, I suppose, guarding against claims for accident damage that might be leveled against them if they don't provide guidance that enables you to decide on the possible limitations of the product. In other words, you're road legal but don't go crying to them if you use your car in conditions they have warned you about as they may resist your claim with their guidance as their defence.

IANAL though; it's just my view :)

Drw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by Drw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:18 pm

To be honest, it is not about insurance claims etc.., it is about avoiding insurance claims.

The tests on snow are impressive https://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/mi ... ason-tyres

User avatar
T Roo
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 am

Re: Tyres

Post by T Roo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:24 am

Drw wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:18 pm
To be honest, it is not about insurance claims etc.., it is about avoiding insurance claims.

The tests on snow are impressive https://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/mi ... ason-tyres
A good point.
Btw, seeing the words 'cross-climate tyres' has made me wonder how much longer our actual climate will continue to define the seasons. Cross-climate and All-climate will become One-climate. Hot! :|

Deleted User 925

Re: Tyres

Post by Deleted User 925 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Had a wee nosey on the tiguan forum, quite a few complaints of outside tyres perishing and brake discs corroding and scoring.
Not just mine then :roll:

Didn't see anything on kangaroos though!

User avatar
twist
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by twist » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 pm

T Roo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:24 am
Drw wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:18 pm
To be honest, it is not about insurance claims etc.., it is about avoiding insurance claims.

The tests on snow are impressive https://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/mi ... ason-tyres
A good point.
Btw, seeing the words 'cross-climate tyres' has made me wonder how much longer our actual climate will continue to define the seasons. Cross-climate and All-climate will become One-climate. Hot! :|
Come visit Scotland, where every day of the year is an unsettling cycle of all the seasons.

The BBC’s day forecast for where I live is usually just all of the icons together because nobody actually knows what will happen.

A1DA0357-EB0D-4510-AD3D-6CB18B7BB89C.jpeg

UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

User avatar
T Roo
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 am

Re: Tyres

Post by T Roo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:23 pm

twist wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 pm
Come visit Scotland, where every day of the year is an unsettling cycle of all the seasons.

The BBC’s day forecast for where I live is usually just all of the icons together because nobody actually knows what will happen.
Och laddie, I dinnae ken why you're so glum. Ye has whiskey and lassies and kilts and bagpipes and a beautiful country. Ye canna have it all ways d'ya ken?

But, yes I always check the Scottish weather on the news and I think "poor barstewards, it's pissing again". And then I remember Glen Coe and Loch Lomond and I think, whatever the weather that is a beautiful place to be 8-)

sagwal
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:48 am

Re: Tyres

Post by sagwal » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:50 am

I have noticed cracks in my car after one month ( 2700 KM).
Tyre Bridgestone, Turanza T005 215/55/17 94V, Manufacture 47 week 2019, made in SPAIN.
Some part behind the wheel is very rusty.

IMG_6378.jpeg

IMG_6380.jpeg

IMG_6388.jpeg

IMG_6389.jpeg

IMG_6583.jpeg

IMG_6589.JPG

India
Yellow 1.5 TSI
7-Speed DSG,
Production 06/12/2019
Booking 31/08/2020
Collection Date 21/09/2020
Panoramic Sunroof, Mayfield 7Jx17 215/55 R17 Tyre,
Lane Assist, Park Distance Control, Rear View Camera
No ACC , Vienna Leather Seats

Deleted User 925

Re: Tyres

Post by Deleted User 925 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 am

I'll need at least two new front tyres when it comes to the first mot!
Every car I've owned I've had to replace the tyres because they're perished, long before the tread depth marker is reached but that's just because I don't do enough mileage.

There is quite a a bit of rust starting around my suspension parts and back axle, doesn't help I'm living on the coast.
Why do manufacturers not galvanise these parts when they went to the bother of galvanising the body? :roll:

User avatar
twist
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by twist » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:35 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 am

Why do manufacturers not galvanise these parts when they went to the bother of galvanising the body? :roll:

Because that would cost $$$$$$$!
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

My Red One
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Re: Tyres

Post by My Red One » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:37 pm

I'll need at least two new front tyres when it comes to the first mot!

You will never need more than Two new tyres for the front. :lol: :lol:
Red SEL 1.5 Rear Camera , Lumber support

Post Reply