Drivers door mirror motor creaking.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Steve

Drivers door mirror motor creaking.

Post by Steve » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:39 pm

I seem to vaguely remember this been posted before but i can not find the post.my drivers side door mirror has started to make a weird noise when folding in and out.Seems to struggle to fold and the motor makes a creaking noise.Has anybody come across this before. :?:
1.5 TSI EVO SE Energetic Orange.Black roof and roof rails.Black mirrors.Park assist.Lane assist.

Hawkeye

Re: Drivers door mirror motor creaking.

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Could be a bit of dirt in the moving surfaces, have had that on odd occasions, maybe try washing the mirror with the mirror both folded and in the normal driving position. If that doesn't work, try squirting some contact cleaner in over the top edge of the mirror between the housing and mirror edge, as it may be the mechanism has a bit of mucky in it.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:07 pm
Could be a bit of dirt in the moving surfaces, have had that on odd occasions, maybe try washing the mirror with the mirror both folded and in the normal driving position. If that doesn't work, try squirting some contact cleaner in over the top edge of the mirror between the housing and mirror edge, as it may be the mechanism has a bit of mucky in it.
Thanks for the reply.I have sprayed WD40 into the mirror casing and it has not made any difference
1.5 TSI EVO SE Energetic Orange.Black roof and roof rails.Black mirrors.Park assist.Lane assist.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:24 am

I think forum members AV82 and trocsel had a problem with a creaking mirror. It was a while ago; perhaps pm them to find out how it was resolved? A replacement part might be needed :| .

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:23 am

Steve wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.I have sprayed WD40 into the mirror casing and it has not made any difference
I doubt that WD40 would have helped in this case as it would possibly have acted more as a de-greaser, and removed any lubrication that may have been resident. Contact Cleaner or preferably Silicon Spray (such as they use on house blinds) might have been better (as the "gears" the mirror adjustment runs on are nylon cogs).

I suspect though that the mechanism needs spraying with the proper stuff, or may need replacing, which arguably will mean removing the mirror glass to do. Job under warranty in that case, as I would suggest you don't want to take the chance of accidentally breaking the mirror removing it.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:41 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:23 am
Steve wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:22 pm

I doubt that WD40 would have helped in this case as it would possibly have acted more as a de-greaser, and removed any lubrication that may have been resident. Contact Cleaner or preferably Silicon Spray (such as they use on house blinds) might have been better (as the "gears" the mirror adjustment runs on are nylon cogs).

I suspect though that the mechanism needs spraying with the proper stuff, or may need replacing, which arguably will mean removing the mirror glass to do. Job under warranty in that case, as I would suggest you don't want to take the chance of accidentally breaking the mirror removing it.
My thinking is that the gearing for this movement is contained within the mirror base itself, not the part that actually rotates. In which case, surely this is a sealed unit (otherwise you'd have all sorts of liquids (rain, car wash etc) getting in. Don't see how you'd get any sort of lubricant in there. Best bet is to go back to dealer, let them sort it out. ;)
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual
Pure White/Black Roof
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March 2019
:D :D :D :D :D

havsgaard

Post by havsgaard » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:57 am

I have same problem with both mirrors. Last year I got my right mirror changed, however the creaking returned after less than two months. Since then my left mirror have started as well. I was in with the car for 30.000km service the other day and they recorded a clip of the sound and send to VW for analysis. Now they have told me, there isn't a solution to it, meaning this is something that are more likely to happen on all trocs with folding mirrors, new and 'older' 😕
1.5 tsi dsg - black oak - sport trim - navigation - sport package with lowered suspension - reverse cam - park sensors

woakesaj

Post by woakesaj » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:27 pm

I assumed it was a feature. It is very useful in confirming that the car is locking when I'm walking away from it!
1.5 SEL Indium Grey, rear camera. Worcestershire UK. Ordered Dec 15 2017, delivered March 7 2018.

AV82

Post by AV82 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:36 pm

I had a creaking mirror from day one. The dealer inspected and said all was normal. It hasn't got any worse in 16 months so I presume it just the way it is designed. Warranty remains if this changes.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:20 pm

AV82 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:36 pm
I had a creaking mirror from day one. The dealer inspected and said all was normal. It hasn't got any worse in 16 months so I presume it just the way it is designed. Warranty remains if this changes.
Lol how can they say it is normal,especially when it is only one mirror making the noise.It is getting quite loud now. :o