Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Drivers door mirror motor creaking.

30K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  Impala 
#1 ·
I seem to vaguely remember this been posted before but i can not find the post.my drivers side door mirror has started to make a weird noise when folding in and out.Seems to struggle to fold and the motor makes a creaking noise.Has anybody come across this before. :?:

#2 ·
Could be a bit of dirt in the moving surfaces, have had that on odd occasions, maybe try washing the mirror with the mirror both folded and in the normal driving position. If that doesn't work, try squirting some contact cleaner in over the top edge of the mirror between the housing and mirror edge, as it may be the mechanism has a bit of mucky in it.

#3 ·
Hawkeye said:
Could be a bit of dirt in the moving surfaces, have had that on odd occasions, maybe try washing the mirror with the mirror both folded and in the normal driving position. If that doesn't work, try squirting some contact cleaner in over the top edge of the mirror between the housing and mirror edge, as it may be the mechanism has a bit of mucky in it.
Thanks for the reply.I have sprayed WD40 into the mirror casing and it has not made any difference

#5 ·
Steve said:
Thanks for the reply.I have sprayed WD40 into the mirror casing and it has not made any difference
I doubt that WD40 would have helped in this case as it would possibly have acted more as a de-greaser, and removed any lubrication that may have been resident. Contact Cleaner or preferably Silicon Spray (such as they use on house blinds) might have been better (as the "gears" the mirror adjustment runs on are nylon cogs).

I suspect though that the mechanism needs spraying with the proper stuff, or may need replacing, which arguably will mean removing the mirror glass to do. Job under warranty in that case, as I would suggest you don't want to take the chance of accidentally breaking the mirror removing it.

#6 ·
Hawkeye said:
Steve said:
I doubt that WD40 would have helped in this case as it would possibly have acted more as a de-greaser, and removed any lubrication that may have been resident. Contact Cleaner or preferably Silicon Spray (such as they use on house blinds) might have been better (as the "gears" the mirror adjustment runs on are nylon cogs).

I suspect though that the mechanism needs spraying with the proper stuff, or may need replacing, which arguably will mean removing the mirror glass to do. Job under warranty in that case, as I would suggest you don't want to take the chance of accidentally breaking the mirror removing it.
My thinking is that the gearing for this movement is contained within the mirror base itself, not the part that actually rotates. In which case, surely this is a sealed unit (otherwise you'd have all sorts of liquids (rain, car wash etc) getting in. Don't see how you'd get any sort of lubricant in there. Best bet is to go back to dealer, let them sort it out. ;)

#7 ·
I have same problem with both mirrors. Last year I got my right mirror changed, however the creaking returned after less than two months. Since then my left mirror have started as well. I was in with the car for 30.000km service the other day and they recorded a clip of the sound and send to VW for analysis. Now they have told me, there isn't a solution to it, meaning this is something that are more likely to happen on all trocs with folding mirrors, new and 'older' 😕

#9 ·
I had a creaking mirror from day one. The dealer inspected and said all was normal. It hasn't got any worse in 16 months so I presume it just the way it is designed. Warranty remains if this changes.

#10 ·
AV82 said:
I had a creaking mirror from day one. The dealer inspected and said all was normal. It hasn't got any worse in 16 months so I presume it just the way it is designed. Warranty remains if this changes.
Lol how can they say it is normal,especially when it is only one mirror making the noise.It is getting quite loud now. :eek:

#11 ·
AV82 said:
I bought my car from same dealership as yourself and they said to me that creaking door mirrors was normal.
They still open and close fully as they should.

#12 ·
Hi trocsel. Yes same answer as you. I think its the rubbing noise when the mirror swings out. I have used WD40 but it made no difference. I am not sure what the internal assembly is like but imagine there are friction pads that the mirror swings on and this assembly fit could just be tighter on some cars.

#14 ·
I seem to have fixed it by using sonax silicone spray, haven't had any problems with either mirror since applying that.
To those of you using wd40 - don't! - you risk making it worse, as it could dissolve whatever gearing oil is used in the internal mechanics. Wd40 is best as a disolver and not as a lubricant.

#15 ·
havsgaard said:
I seem to have fixed it by using sonax silicone spray, haven't had any problems with either mirror since applying that.
To those of you using wd40 - don't! - you risk making it worse, as it could dissolve whatever gearing oil is used in the internal mechanics. Wd40 is best as a disolver and not as a lubricant.
I dont think i have heard of that before,Where is the cheapest place to get it from.

#16 ·
Steve said:
havsgaard said:
I dont think i have heard of that before,Where is the cheapest place to get it from.
Holts do something similar but much cheaper at around £4 to £5 a can.

Amazon have both Holts and Sonax on sale, but you might also try Halfords.

#17 ·
BarryF said:
Steve said:
havsgaard said:
Holts do something similar but much cheaper at around £4 to £5 a can.

Amazon have both Holts and Sonax on sale, but you might also try Halfords.
Used a silicon spray from Halfords today but it has not solved the problem :(

#18 ·
havsgaard said:
Where abouts on the mirror unit did you apply the Sonax spray havsgaard ? Was it over the top of the mirror glass, or did you spray into the fine gap between the base and the rotating body of the unit ?

#19 ·
Just a thought, but I'm wondering if somewhere in the settings there might be a way to stop the automatic mirror function. I would prefer to choose when to fold the mirrors to prevent unecessary wear on the mechanism, and possible damage if the mirror movement was hindered by ice.

G
#20 ·
Rocadoodledo said:
Just a thought, but I'm wondering if somewhere in the settings there might be a way to stop the automatic mirror function. I would prefer to choose when to fold the mirrors to prevent unecessary wear on the mechanism, and possible damage if the mirror movement was hindered by ice.
Yes, on the infotainment system.
Car settings, mirrors and wipers.

I keep mine open all the time, because even if you just need in the car for something they were always popping out and in again :roll:

#22 ·
vernerbongo2 said:
Rocadoodledo said:
Yes, on the infotainment system.
Car settings, mirrors and wipers.

I keep mine open all the time, because even if you just need in the car for something they were always popping out and in again :roll:
Thanks vernerbongo2, perfect, I'll be changing the setting just as soon as it stops raining :roll: :p

#23 ·
G
#24 ·
Rocadoodledo said:
vernerbongo2 said:
What's normal and what's not normal?
Get a few videos on ;)
Seems to make slightly more noise closing than opening.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DJ5CfpG4DkQnVZYsJ6MruPqWy1JE38tK/view?usp=drivesdk
My car mirrors have sounded exactly the same as the one in the video from day one. The mechanism sounds strained compared to the mirrors on the ten year old Golf mk6 that I traded in for the T-Roc last week, which were still smooth and quiet.
I've never actually noticed but as I said looking back on the video it seems OK opening but a wee bit of noise closing.
Doesn't bother me :p

#25 ·
I prefer to have mine folding as it provides a visual aid to confirm the car is locked as I walk away. However, I do find some inconsistency in the position as sometimes I feel they do not go back to exactly the same position and occasionaly require some manual adjustment.

Maybe that is due to some friction that could be the source of the creaking noise.

#26 ·
I would try stuffing some dielectric grease in there. Have been using it in rallying (so extreme conditions with mud, dust etc) and in my everyday motoring and it works wonders waterproofing and lubricating many areas, be it electrical components or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.