Dipped headlights

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
mvk

Re: Dipped headlights

Post by mvk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:53 pm

Things must have changed at Vauxhall, as when I had one and used the forum for the Astra MK6 there were always complaints about their headlights staying on after coming out of a tunnel or passing trees etc.
1.0 TSI SE Special solid - Pure white.

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:05 pm

On the auto lights topic I've been looking on the interweb and absolutely no one seems to be able to find out how to adjust them through vcds or obdeleven.
Going by a vcds post I tried adjustments via obdeleven.
1: coming home/leaving home
2: sidelights on
3: dipped beam on
Lowered all the default lux levels massively and to my disappointment not one bit of difference was made

Went out this morning in broad daylight, unlocked my car and the leaving home lights lit up.
In my opinion the whole auto light system is rubbish. :roll:
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:42 pm

I was the same this morning ... brigh blue sky and sunshine at 10am and the message pops up on my dash telling me to switch on dipped beam (I don't leave the switch in Auto). Fortunately you can get rid of the message by pressing OK on the right side of the steering wheel.

What is the point of having bright LED DRLs ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Impala wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:42 pm

What is the point of having bright LED DRLs ?
Not to mention when you turn on your dipped lights the DRL's dim down.
I like to turn on the side lights in dull weather to turn on the tail lights. along with the DRL's.

I would love to be able to turn on the Auto lights and leave them 24/7 but I don't see the point of lights burning unnecessarily.
Quite a few owners just leave it in auto.

Unless I can come up with something, I'll have to use them manually.
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.

mvk

Post by mvk » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:23 pm

The whole point to BRIGHT DRL lights is that people can see you coming, especially older people and those who have very poor eyesight. Many of who wish to cross the road in poor lighting conditions. It will not cost you anything worthwhile to display good standards of lighting. I also wonder why we don't have the tail lights ON, again all the time while the car is moving & with LED taillights the power requirement is virtually nothing.
Going back to the days before we had DRLs, back in the late 70s and early 80s when on a motorway I always put on my headlights. If there was a small cost, I thought of it a worthwhile expense for safety. I do not understand your objection to something that could help a with your safety, and that of others.
I see on very dull and overcast days when the vast majority of modern cars have auto lighting on, and then you see some little older car coming towards you through the gloom and he has not thought about putting on his headlights. Then, some people put on their sidelights, which are a total waste of time as you can see the car well before you see their lights at all. Putting on the sidelights and not putting on the headlights means you are admitting the visual standard requires lights to be shown on the. After the law requires you to drive acording to the conditions you are in, therefore not complying with the law and, makes you liable to prosecution.
Is it not just as easy and more beneficial to comply.

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:57 pm

mvk wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:23 pm
The whole point to BRIGHT DRL lights is that people can see you coming, especially older people and those who have very poor eyesight. Many of who wish to cross the road in poor lighting conditions. It will not cost you anything worthwhile to display good standards of lighting. I also wonder why we don't have the tail lights ON, again all the time while the car is moving & with LED taillights the power requirement is virtually nothing.
Going back to the days before we had DRLs, back in the late 70s and early 80s when on a motorway I always put on my headlights. If there was a small cost, I thought of it a worthwhile expense for safety. I do not understand your objection to something that could help a with your safety, and that of others.
I see on very dull and overcast days when the vast majority of modern cars have auto lighting on, and then you see some little older car coming towards you through the gloom and he has not thought about putting on his headlights. Then, some people put on their sidelights, which are a total waste of time as you can see the car well before you see their lights at all. Putting on the sidelights and not putting on the headlights means you are admitting the visual standard requires lights to be shown on the. After the law requires you to drive acording to the conditions you are in, therefore not complying with the law and, makes you liable to prosecution.
Is it not just as easy and more beneficial to comply.
Totally agree with what you are saying, you can't put a price on safety.

No one mentioned turning off the DRL's only that the dipped headlights come on even on a bright day and are way over sensitive.
In my opinion the DRL's on their own are much brighter than the dipped beams along with the dimmed DRL's.

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:14 pm

You seem to have missed the point of this thread MVK.

DRLs are not sidelights and they are not dipped headlights. They cannot be switched off and so are on all the time. As the name suggests, they are for making cars visible for other road users during daylight. You seem to be arguing that DRLs are not sufficient.

The idea of having the tail lights on with the DRLs has been discussed in other threads and may be permitted in some countries but not others. It is an issue of national regulations rather than driver choice. Perhaps regulations will change.

However with bright LED DRLs, there is really no need to have dipped headlights come on for very brief periods when a car passes under some trees or a bridge or it happens to be a dull day. If it starts to rain, the auto headlights will come on with the wipers.

The issue raised in this topic is about the sensors which switch on the dipped headlights in low light conditions and how they react too quickly and are too sensitive, meaning the dipped headlights come on when they are not needed and in circumstances where the DRLs are more than adequate. An oncoming car with LED DRLs is easy to see when it passes under a flyover or some tress.

Another point made in the posts above is that the sensitivity is supposedly adjustable via the appropriate car settings menu, but as people have stated, changing the setting from 'Early' to 'Late' makes no noticiable difference to this issue. Why ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

mvk

Post by mvk » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:12 am

Impala wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:14 pm
You seem to have missed the point of this thread MVK.

DRLs are not sidelights and they are not dipped headlights. They cannot be switched off and so therefor are on all the time. As the name suggests, they are for making cars visible for other road users during daylight. You seem to be arguing that DRLs are not sufficient.

The idea of having the tail lights on with the DRLs has been discussed in other threads and may be permitted in some countries but not others. It is an issue of national regulations rather than driver choice. Perhaps regulations will change.

However, with bright LED DRLs, there is really no need to have dipped headlights come on for very brief periods when a car passes under some trees or a bridge or it happens to be a dull day. If it starts to rain, the auto headlights will come on with the wipers.

The issue raised in this topic is about the sensors which switch on the dipped headlights in low light conditions and how they react too quickly and are too sensitive, meaning the dipped headlights come on when they are not needed and in circumstances where the DRLs are more than adequate. An oncoming car with LED DRLs is easy to see when it passes under a flyover of some tress.

Another point made in the posts above is that the sensitivity is supposedly adjustable via the appropriate car settings menu, but as people have stated, changing the setting from 'Early' to 'Late' makes no noticeable difference to this issue. Why?
No, I haven't missed the point at all I was trying to demonstrate that the DRL lights are the law to have on vehicles newer than a certain age, (I think new models that came onto the market after about 2010) so they can bee seen by others. The other points I talked about are preference and some are It doesn't bother me in the slightest if my headlights come on while travelling on a flat road without any obstructions to daylight while the sun is shining on my car on a cloudless day with blue skies from horizon to horizon. Or on the other hand, if they come on while I pass under a footbridge or even when going through a high sided cutting, like the one on the M62 where the Pennine Way crosses it. They are not causing any problem to anyone including me. I take the view that as long as they come on when they are needed to comply with the law for lighting uptime, and I don't get stopped for forgetting to turn on my lights at night, then everything is OK.

I have a neighbour who has been stopped a few times, even by the police to tell him and her when either of them drives the car in the dark they have forgotten to put their headlights on. That is because they switch them off when they are coming up the street and turning onto the drive, and then when they see the dials on the dash light up and the light from the DRLs shine on the garage door they when they start the car they assume that means they have their lights on. I would sooner have them work the way they do coming on and going off, at daft times, than not have them on when needed.

brid

Post by brid » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:59 am

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Totally agree with what you are saying, you can't put a price on safety.

No one mentioned turning off the DRL's only that the dipped headlights come on even on a bright day and are way over sensitive.
In my opinion the DRL's on their own are much brighter than the dipped beams along with the dimmed DRL's.
It could be that as the ambient light is considererd too low by the system ( even if you may disagree) then when the dipped beams are activated the rear lights are also switched on as an visual aid to following drivers.
Personally I wish my other car was better in this respect as I am always waiting for them to "light up" in tunnels and using manual when they dont!!
There has to be a "norm" applied somewhere across the design parameters and manufacturers have to follow each country's regs so maybe it's all about compromise across the whole - or maybe, it's the drivers wish to customise everything that is a little "over sensitive". :D
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

BarryF

Post by BarryF » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:42 am

A simple short delay of, say 30s, between detecting low light and switching on the headlights would be a simple solution to the problem of driving under bridges, trees, etc. If the light level is restored during this delay then the timer is reset.

My issue with the lights coming on in broad daylight is that the car in front might think you are driving agressively. The short stretch of road I drive along each day sees my lights turn on and off at least 3 times, sometimes 4 or more. The drive in front must notice this and find it distracting at best, agressive at worst.
Regards,
Barry

1.5 TSI DSG SEL, Indium Grey, Rear View Camera
Ordered : 20/02/19
Stage 2 : 01/03/19
Stage 3 : 11/05/19
Stage 5 : 04/06/19
Stage 6 : 18/06/19
Stage 7 : 21/06/19
Collected : 25/06/19