Charging the battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Deleted User 925

Re: Charging the battery

Post by Deleted User 925 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:29 pm

T Roo wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:32 pm
Honest John has some information. Unfortunately, not specifically for VW's as yet but have a read, there's nothing else to do! :mrgreen:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/coronaviru ... -warranty/
I particularly like suzuki's idea of letting the engine run for 30 minutes with the headlights on :?

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:33 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:29 pm
I particularly like suzuki's idea of letting the engine run for 30 minutes with the headlights on :?
They do things differently in Japan we all know that :lol:

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:13 am

Previous post here 8 days ago I had taken my car a drive to charge up the battery.
31 mile drive with no stops, turned off alarm monitor & locked it up.

Jumped in it today turned on the infotainment screen, message came straight up "infotainment system shutting down battery almost empty"

What sort of crap is this battery 🤷‍♂️

My old Nissan x-trail battery was 13.5 years old before it gave up.
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

peterh

Post by peterh » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi
First of all don’t forget if you have variable servicing set up on your car if you disconnect the battery it would seem that it looses what it has in memory for how you have driven and reverts to fixed servicing intervals. From reading the manual it sounds as though you have a small time window to change the battery. But you stand the risk of loosing your data.
I have used my CTEK MXS 5.0 smart charger on my 2.0 TSI with the battery connected without any problems. In fact as I type this it is connected to my battery. I have also used it on the 1.0 TSI without any problems.
Connect the positive lead to the + as expected but connect the negative to the silver metal tab near the negative on the car bulk head (firewall) it is better to connect to the silver tab as the negative post has the battery monitor attached and it can upset this sometimes.
I only use the standard car charging not the AGM setting as AGM gives out slightly more voltage and I’m always a bit concerned about the car ecm.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm

peterh wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:14 pm
Hi
First of all don’t forget if you have variable servicing set up on your car if you disconnect the battery it would seem that it looses what it has in memory for how you have driven and reverts to fixed servicing intervals. From reading the manual it sounds as though you have a small time window to change the battery. But you stand the risk of loosing your data.
I have used my CTEK MXS 5.0 smart charger on my 2.0 TSI with the battery connected without any problems. In fact as I type this it is connected to my battery. I have also used it on the 1.0 TSI without any problems.
Connect the positive lead to the + as expected but connect the negative to the silver metal tab near the negative on the car bulk head (firewall) it is better to connect to the silver tab as the negative post has the battery monitor attached and it can upset this sometimes.
I only use the standard car charging not the AGM setting as AGM gives out slightly more voltage and I’m always a bit concerned about the car ecm.
The battery has never been disconnected since I got my car.
The only thing I have done a couple of times in the past is to connect it to my charger in the way you described, negative pole at the back.
My charger manual says its suitable for AMG batteries so I assume it's good enough for EFB batteries.
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

htpeargo

Post by htpeargo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:40 pm

I wrote to CTEK asking if AGM charging mode could be used on a EFB battery and their response was yes it can, I used it satisfactorily on an efb battery fitted to a Ford without disconnecting the battery. I did have to change the battery after just over 6 years
Ordered 18th July
Build date w/c 14 sept
Troc Sel
Winter Pack
Side assist
Park assist
Sports Pack
Rear View Camera
Lumber support
Picked up 15oct 20

sagwal

Post by sagwal » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:08 am

Impala wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:43 pm
I think it will very much depend on the charge state of the battery when you park up for 3 weeks. If your car has been used infrequently and only for short journeys, the drain from cold starts will probably not be replenished, so the battery could be well below full charge but still ample for daily use but maybe not if left for 3 weeks. That is why you may have noticed the stop/start system is unavailable sometimes, as it is an indication the battery is a bit lower than optimum.
Whenever I have doubt about my battery charging I go to vehicle status and then start stop status. Most of the time It says start-stop is available but once I noticed that status was showing " Vehicle Power Consumption is high". I was listening to music with the engine off.
The battery took 20 minutes drive to get charge to a level where start-stop was available.

Battery low start stop.jpeg

India
Yellow 1.5 TSI
7-Speed DSG,
Production 06/12/2019
Booking 31/08/2020
Collection Date 21/09/2020
Panoramic Sunroof, Mayfield 7Jx17 215/55 R17 Tyre,
Lane Assist, Park Distance Control, Rear View Camera
No ACC , Vienna Leather Seats

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:26 pm

I've tried charging my battery a couple of times with my ring smart charger but after a while it just sits on the reconditioning mode and goes nowhere.
I'm thinking my charger although hardly used since I got it, is crap 🤔

Then I read the same battery charging topic on the German forum & they state you must leave the bonnet open otherwise the battery won't charge.
I had my bonnet closed on the latch, so the question to T-Roc owners here is did you charge with the bonnet open or closed? 🤷‍♂️
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

twist

Post by twist » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:26 pm
I've tried charging my battery a couple of times with my ring smart charger but after a while it just sits on the reconditioning mode and goes nowhere.
I'm thinking my charger although hardly used since I got it, is crap 🤔

Then I read the same battery charging topic on the German forum & they state you must leave the bonnet open otherwise the battery won't charge.
I had my bonnet closed on the latch, so the question to T-Roc owners here is did you charge with the bonnet open or closed? 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps to prevent people accidentally leaving the charger attached and driving away!
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

peterh

Post by peterh » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:29 pm

When the battery charger is connected directly to the battery, it will charge the battery, I don’t see how the car electronics can stop it charging the battery. I charged my battery with the bonnet closed and the CTEC charger when through its full cycle and fully charged the battery.