Charging the battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Rocadoodledo
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:18 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Charging the battery

Post by Rocadoodledo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:20 am

Well, this has turned into an interesting debate, some in favour of ensuring that their cars remain entirely roadworthy by taking them for an occasional short drive and others saying that the no-drive rules should be adhered to. We all love our cars otherwise we wouldn't be members of this forum, and it pains me to see the rust spots on my car's brake disks which will progress to pitting and inefficiency with lack of use.
The government rule makers state that the reason why we can't drive our cars for maintenance reasons is the possibility of breakdowns and RTA's. Well, I'll concede that these are valid reasons, however the risk of a breakdown is minimal with a modern car, how many cars do you see by the side of the road these days ? The risk of having an RTA is also small, and could be reduced further by having a dedicated time slot for maintenance drives outside of the 8am to 6pm main road usage zone.
For me personally a chance to get out for a short drive once a week would also contribute to my well being. I'm seventy, I live alone, and have no relatives, so I'm trying not to let the isolation combined with crap TV affect me too much. So far so good, but there's a long way to go yet by all accounts.
We are all in total agreement where our wonderful NHS is concerned. The dedication and courage of all of our front-line health workers is incredible. I'm not at all surprised by their amazing work ethic having spent more than forty years as an NHS Biomedical Scientist working days and nights alongside, and in support of doctors, surgeons and nurses ..... all wonderful selfless people.
T-Roc 1.0L Design, Turmeric Yellow/Black
Act Displ, Nav, Dr Modes, R-Camera, Fogs, Pk Ass.
Winter Pk, Silver Rails, Voice Activ, Lumb Sup.
Ordered 21/3/19
St2 : 26/3/19
St3 : 18/10/19
St5a&5b : 13/11/19
St6 : 03/12/19
St7 : 13/12/19
Collected 20/12/19

User avatar
twist
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Charging the battery

Post by twist » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 am

Rocadoodledo wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:20 am
Well, this has turned into an interesting debate, some in favour of ensuring that their cars remain entirely roadworthy by taking them for an occasional short drive and others saying that the no-drive rules should be adhered to. We all love our cars otherwise we wouldn't be members of this forum, and it pains me to see the rust spots on my car's brake disks which will progress to pitting and inefficiency with lack of use.
The government rule makers state that the reason why we can't drive our cars for maintenance reasons is the possibility of breakdowns and RTA's. Well, I'll concede that these are valid reasons, however the risk of a breakdown is minimal with a modern car, how many cars do you see by the side of the road these days ? The risk of having an RTA is also small, and could be reduced further by having a dedicated time slot for maintenance drives outside of the 8am to 6pm main road usage zone.
For me personally a chance to get out for a short drive once a week would also contribute to my well being. I'm seventy, I live alone, and have no relatives, so I'm trying not to let the isolation combined with crap TV affect me too much. So far so good, but there's a long way to go yet by all accounts.
We are all in total agreement where our wonderful NHS is concerned. The dedication and courage of all of our front-line health workers is incredible. I'm not at all surprised by their amazing work ethic having spent more than forty years as an NHS Biomedical Scientist working days and nights alongside, and in support of doctors, surgeons and nurses ..... all wonderful selfless people.
I would bet that a breakdown is actually more likely without regular maintenance runs, making them critical to keeping your car roadworthy - something the government told us we must do. A bit contradictory of them in my opinion and more evidence that the rules were rushed in without much thought.

And that’s very true about isolation. I too live alone and merely getting out the house is enough to release some of the stress which is known to be bad for health.

Again, I feel like the rule should really be “minimize your car use as far as possible” which I totally agree with, and we are already doing that by not visiting friends and family, only shopping for essentials and so forth.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Tricky2
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Re: Charging the battery

Post by Tricky2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:55 am

Interesting this has Evolved to discussion on lock down rules, perhaps the moderator could split this off into a topic separate from battery chargers.

Firstly, I see no contagion risk in leaving your property, get into your car, driving for 20 minutes or so in a circular route that arrives back at your property. You've met no one, risked spreading to no one, and you've given yourself that feeling of freedom. I don't think everyone will be doing it, the traffic when we have to go to the shops is still minimal, so the risk of US having an accident is negligible

However that raises another point, with such minimal traffic, why am I still reading regularly of serious fatal accidents occurring? It begs the statement that such accidents are not therefore a by-product of congested traffic, but are entirely down to the drivers poor driving skills.

User avatar
twist
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Charging the battery

Post by twist » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:43 am

Tricky2 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:55 am
Interesting this has Evolved to discussion on lock down rules, perhaps the moderator could split this off into a topic separate from battery chargers.

Firstly, I see no contagion risk in leaving your property, get into your car, driving for 20 minutes or so in a circular route that arrives back at your property. You've met no one, risked spreading to no one, and you've given yourself that feeling of freedom. I don't think everyone will be doing it, the traffic when we have to go to the shops is still minimal, so the risk of US having an accident is negligible

However that raises another point, with such minimal traffic, why am I still reading regularly of serious fatal accidents occurring? It begs the statement that such accidents are not therefore a by-product of congested traffic, but are entirely down to the drivers poor driving skills.
I’ll answer your question about accidents: because there are still the idiot hooligans racing around. I see them racing along the nearby 30mph road doing at least 45, blowing through red lights as if amber means “floor it” not “stop if you can”. These people are - and always will be - the majority of fatal crash statistics and make the roads dangerous for all of us.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

User avatar
brid
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Location: Alicante Spain

Re: Charging the battery

Post by brid » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 am

Last Tuesday I went shopping, this was my first trip out in 4 weeks and my second since the lock down began. I travelled 5kms to the stores and was stopped by the police and asked the reason for my trip. I shopped using two stores and was stopped again homeward via a different route. I was asked for my identity card which they checked for my address and was allowed to pass.
The main difference between the counties is that you in the UK have lax rules whereas we have laws.
Here in Spain there is no going to the park for walkies, cycle rides, jogging , walking down the street for no purpose or going to the seaside to walk the dog, you stay at home period.
We are not allowed to leave our town without emergency reasons of health. We cannot walk with any members of our family on the street, everything you do outside your home must be done alone, shopping, banking, newsagent, chemist and health, there are no other options. Only one person in a car at any time ( other than health emergencies).
Fines start at 600 euro up to 30,000.00 euro then a spell in jail 3 months to a year for serious transgression like spreading the virus by non compliance of the law. For companies who break the rules or put employees at risk it is 600,000.00 and 3 years in the big house.
So I was stopped by the police twice inside 10kms. Police here now have to wear a mask which was not always the case in the early days.
Now the short story.
A friend (47 year old Spanish guy) did not like the laws and after a week he tried to leave the town to go to the next village to visit his lady friend.
He encountered the road block and after speaking to the police he was turned back. He tried a different route and was turned back again.
He tried to make this journey several times in various ways and was then fined 1000.00 euro for a persistent offence.
The problem, like in the UK, the police are meeting scores of people every day, in the street and at road blocks/ checks and none wore masks. At one of these encounters it is thought that he was infected by a policeman.
He did get to his girlfriends house a week or so later by travelling by scooter via the campo roads in the early hours of morning. Loins over protocol.
He never left that house until he and his girl friend were taken to hospital from which sadly they both never returned. The orphaned son recovered but the aunt who had to take him in was infected.
By the way, He never did pay the fine.
I hope something like this never happens to anyone but, the next time a policeman leans down to talk to you on your battery charge car trip just remember, you do not know where he has been.
One can talk oneself into believing that what one does is OK but really its only yourself you are convincing and we all know that it will never happen to me cos I'm too good at this that and the other.
Please, all keep safe - and remember you are catching Spain's death rate up nicely. Don't become a statistic.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Deleted User 1717

Re: Charging the battery

Post by Deleted User 1717 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Wow, maybe one for an off topic chat if any mods are about, the OPs original question was concerning charging his battery with a charging machine not driving his car to do so.

User avatar
T Roo
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 am

Re: Charging the battery

Post by T Roo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 pm

182_blue wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:53 pm
Wow, maybe one for an off topic chat if any mods are about, the OPs original question was concerning charging his battery with a charging machine not driving his car to do so.
Point taken.

I think opposing views have been adequately expressed. I hope, whatever people decide is an acceptable thing to do during the lockdown, that we all come out the other side to enjoy our cars, to get back to normal and to be able to meet with other people again without suspicion.

In short, please be safe everyone and remember that you have to protect others as well as protect yourself. That includes the police, the AA, the ambulance service, the NHS and the people who are dear to you.

Impala
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Re: Charging the battery

Post by Impala » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Lancslad wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:50 pm
IMG-20200409-WA0000.jpgNot relevant to charging batteries...but in our current lock down situation i think it says a lot...
Les..😜
Hence the expression 'mind your ass' :lol: :lol:
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Rocadoodledo
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:18 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Charging the battery

Post by Rocadoodledo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:17 am

twist wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:09 am

I would bet that a breakdown is actually more likely without regular maintenance runs, making them critical to keeping your car roadworthy - something the government told us we must do. A bit contradictory of them in my opinion and more evidence that the rules were rushed in without much thought.

And that’s very true about isolation. I too live alone and merely getting out the house is enough to release some of the stress which is known to be bad for health.

Again, I feel like the rule should really be “minimize your car use as far as possible” which I totally agree with, and we are already doing that by not visiting friends and family, only shopping for essentials and so forth.
Very sensible opinions Twist, I agree with every word.
T-Roc 1.0L Design, Turmeric Yellow/Black
Act Displ, Nav, Dr Modes, R-Camera, Fogs, Pk Ass.
Winter Pk, Silver Rails, Voice Activ, Lumb Sup.
Ordered 21/3/19
St2 : 26/3/19
St3 : 18/10/19
St5a&5b : 13/11/19
St6 : 03/12/19
St7 : 13/12/19
Collected 20/12/19

Troc2018
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: Charging the battery

Post by Troc2018 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:43 am

Wow didn’t think my battery would cause so much
Arguments 🤣
1.5 sel met grey / black roof , panoramic sun roof ,monteygo bay 18 " wheels
Reversing cam ordered 11th June 18 delivered 16 th Nov 18 , 5 months exactly as promised by vw dealer

Post Reply