Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Tpms

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Impala 
#1 ·
iI am looking to fit some 16" cheap alloys with winter tyres partly to save my diamond cut 17" that were on it from new,Do I have to fit new sensors of does the t roc not have sensors in the wheels,hope someone can help.

G
#5 ·
Pine Man said:
It's all done by ABS. No sensors on the wheels. Just fit the new wheels and then confirm the pressures in TPMS.
You may have misunderstood the question 🤔

The tyre pressure monitoring system has a device attached to each tyre air valve.
Around £159 for four or you could pick up a second hand set or non volkswagen set.

Attachments

#6 ·
I was under the impression that TPMS on T Rocs was an indirect pressure monitor using the ABS system to establish whether individual tyres were rotating faster or slower due to under or over inflation.

What you have displayed looks nothing like the valves fitted to my T Roc they are just standard rubber valves but if that has changed I stand corrected.

In addition if it has changed then all shelplec has to do is fit the new wheels and turn off TPMS.

G
#7 ·
Pine Man said:
I was under the impression that TPMS on T Rocs was an indirect pressure monitor using the ABS system to establish whether individual tyres were rotating faster or slower due to under or over inflation.

What you have displayed looks nothing like the valves fitted to my T Roc they are just standard rubber valves but if that has changed I stand corrected.

In addition if it has changed then all shelplec has to do is fit the new wheels and turn off TPMS.
I apologise, I stand corrected :lol:
I've never heard of an indirect TPMS but have now.
You know your stuff pineman.

Appologies again ;)

#10 ·
Pine Man said:

Totally agree ... the ABS sensors are used to compare the rotation speed of the 4 wheels, which depends on the rolling circumference. The latter changes as the tyre pressure drops, so a drop in one tyre causes an 'imbalance' in the rotation speed of one wheel compared to the other 3.

This indirect pressure monitoring is not an absolute pressure measurement and is not particularly sensitive. It requires a substantial pressure drop before an alert is triggered, which is why regular pressure checks using a good gauge are recommended. Unfortunately, many drivers assume if there is no TPMS warning then their tyre pressures are correct, but steady drops which occur on all 4 tyres will not be detected as the rotation speed of all 4 wheels remains in balance.

However, there is no need to turn off the TPMS as the sytem can, and should be recalibrated when new tyres (or wheels) are fitted, or pressures are adjusted for load or even just topped up. This is easily done via the menus for the car settings in the Infotainment system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.