Starting Button and Doors not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
AstroG

Starting Button and Doors not working

Post by AstroG » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 am

Problem - The starter button does not work but I can start the car by holding the key fob next to the steering wheel + foot on the brake and it starts. In addition the doors will not lock.

I suspect I've inadvertantly pushed a button somewhere which has triggered this off or it may be the key fob battery (keyless system) but I've only had my car just over a year which seems a very short time for this to happen.

At first a yellow ! triangle and key warning came up along the lower section of the info binnacle but once started using the above method it's gone out, though I still cannot lock the doors.

The manual says the battery should be replaced by a VW engineer but is this really true, it seems so simple - if it can be changed easily by the owner what battery does it take?

Graham

twist

Re: Starting Button and Doors not working

Post by twist » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am

AstroG wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 am
Problem - The starter button does not work but I can start the car by holding the key fob next to the steering wheel + foot on the brake and it starts. In addition the doors will not lock.

I suspect I've inadvertantly pushed a button somewhere which has triggered this off or it may be the key fob battery (keyless system) but I've only had my car just over a year which seems a very short time for this to happen.

At first a yellow ! triangle and key warning came up along the lower section of the info binnacle but once started using the above method it's gone out, though I still cannot lock the doors.

The manual says the battery should be replaced by a VW engineer but is this really true, it seems so simple - if it can be changed easily by the owner what battery does it take?

Graham
Nonsense about the battery. You can replace it yourself just as you would a TV’s remote control. You just flip out the metal key and pop the back cover off by putting something solid (and preferably plastic so you don’t damage the fob) in where the metal key sits when the fob is closed and pry the back cover up.

In the attached picture I took of my key, the red arrow is where to insert your prying thing and the purple box indicates the back cover that will come off.

From there it’s obvious: a new CR battery although I can’t remember the exact type. CR2032 maybe?

Edit: it’s a CR2450 you need.

338DD081-802C-48EF-AD35-C871077CAB71.jpeg

UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

AstroG

Post by AstroG » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:39 am

Thanks I'll give it a try but:

(a) does this sound like a key fob issue and
(b) after just 14 months?

Graham

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:41 am

It's a CR2025 you need, that's what's in it.
People on other forums are sticking a CR2032 in, it's a tighter fit but will obviously last longer 👌

How too video
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 am

AstroG wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:39 am
Thanks I'll give it a try but:

(a) does this sound like a key fob issue and
(b) after just 14 months?

Graham
This is normal for the battery 👌
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

twist

Post by twist » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:18 pm

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:41 am
It's a CR2025 you need, that's what's in it.
People on other forums are sticking a CR2032 in, it's a tighter fit but will obviously last longer 👌

How too video
Yeah I definitely should have checked :lol: I just thought I remembered it being much thicker than even a 2032 but I guess not!
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:00 pm

twist wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:18 pm

Yeah I definitely should have checked.
I didn't like overruling you though, especially with the effort you made taking a photo and adding an arrow etc 🤷‍♂️🙈🤣

I've a few spare CR2025'S otherwise I'd definitely be sticking a CR2032 in it 👌
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

AstroG

Post by AstroG » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:41 pm

Just received and replaced the FOB battteries and everything's fine again. Many thanks.

What nonsense in the handbook which says "Volkswagen recommends having the button cell changed at a Volkwagen dealership or by a qualified workshop" even my granny could have done that job.

However, I'm astonished that the battery life is so short. I had a VW Golf Plus before and changed the FOB battery about every 7-years or more!

Graham

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:27 pm

AstroG wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:41 pm
However, I'm astonished that the battery life is so short. I had a VW Golf Plus before and changed the FOB battery about every 7-years or more!

Graham
The difference is that your TRoc is 'keyless'. Therefore the fob is continuously sending out a signal for the car to pick up. Your Golf Plus fob will only have given out a signal when a button was pressed - thereby using a lot less battery power.
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red -