Problem pairing phone to Golf 8

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
JBR999

Problem pairing phone to Golf 8

Post by JBR999 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi. I have just joined this forum on the recommendation of a friend.
I hope I am posting in the correct section.

I am having real problems in connecting my phone to our new VW Golf 8.
I have followed the instructions in the car's handbook, having downloaded Android Auto on to my Samsung Galaxy 8 phone, but am having ongoing problems despite my wife having connected her Galaxy 10 phone successfully following the same procedures.
I'm afraid all I get is the message on the infotainment screen "unable to connect".

I have been trying various different things, but so far all I have managed to obtain are the same four icons which appear next to my wife's phone on the screen: Mirror Link, Android Auto, Phone and something else (may be music?). Earlier, the Mirror Link and Android Auto icons didn't appear next to my S8, but did appear next to my wife's S10. The fact that those two now appear (the same as my wife's) hopefully suggests that some sort of progress has been made.

Despite that, I'm afraid I am still unable to connect my phone to the car via Android Auto.

I am hoping that some of the experts on here might be able to offer some advice as to anything I can do in an attempt to pair my phone to the car in the same way that my wife's phone is now connected. I'd be grateful for any help.

Clubchamp98

Re: Problem pairing phone to Golf 8

Post by Clubchamp98 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:41 pm

This is a T Roc forums so I think the Golf8 uses a different system.
Might be wrong .
But sure someone might be able to help.
Have you asked the dealer.

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:09 pm

Pretty sure the Golf 8 and latest T-Roc use the same Mib3 infotainment system which provides the connectivity.

I assume the OP is referring to Bluetooth pairing and a little bit of effort to search the forum should find some advice as I'm pretty sure this issue has come up before. I'm not a Bluetooth user but there are a few 'experts' on here who may want to chip in.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Impala wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:09 pm

I assume the OP is referring to Bluetooth pairing
He's referring to connecting his mobile phones android-auto wirelessly 👌
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:33 pm

Have you tried deleting your wife's phone and then trying yours?
Have you tried connecting with a cable to see if it definitely works?
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

JBR999

Post by JBR999 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:58 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, I have tried pairing the phone via Bluetooth both with and without USB connection. At some stages, I have also been asked to connect using WiFi and also using my phone as a WiFi hotspot. Unfortunately, these need some sort of code which I don't know.

Yes, my wife connected her phone using Android Auto and she was successful without any problems. I have followed exactly the same procedure with my phone but without success. I'd prefer not to delete my wife's phone before trying mine as I might end up being unable to connect hers then, and that wouldn't go down too well! It's more important for her anyway as she does most of the driving.

I agree about asking the dealer for help, after all we paid them handsomely for the car! Unfortunately, with the Covid problem they are trying to avoid personal contact whenever possible. Perhaps later if things improve.

Thanks again for your interest.

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:32 pm

JBR999 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:58 pm
Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, I have tried pairing the phone via Bluetooth both with and without USB connection. At some stages, I have also been asked to connect using WiFi and also using my phone as a WiFi hotspot. Unfortunately, these need some sort of code which I don't know.

Yes, my wife connected her phone using Android Auto and she was successful without any problems. I have followed exactly the same procedure with my phone but without success. I'd prefer not to delete my wife's phone before trying mine as I might end up being unable to connect hers then, and that wouldn't go down too well! It's more important for her anyway as she does most of the driving.

I agree about asking the dealer for help, after all we paid them handsomely for the car! Unfortunately, with the Covid problem they are trying to avoid personal contact whenever possible. Perhaps later if things improve.

Thanks again for your interest.

Just what exactly are you trying to do here, as your description of the connection methods you have tried are for totally different things.

If you are trying to establish an internet connection from the car via your phone - you either need a mobile wifi router or set your phone as a wifi hotspot. Android uses the 192.168.43.x private subnet for its local wi-fi hotspot and before Android 9, 192.168.43.1 was the fixed gateway address to route WAN/Internet traffic to the phone operator's network. However, Android 9 introduced a dynamic address for the gateway (and DNS) and will randomly select an address in the range 192.168.43.1-254 This is for added security, but it has been found previously that the T-Roc can connect to a mobile hotspot using earlier versions of Android, but not Android 9 and above. There is some variability with different brands and models of phones, where the phone manufacturer (eg Sony) has chosen not to implement the random gateway address.

If you are just wanting to connect to the phone for accessing music/apps - use Bluetooth or a tethered usb cable. I believe some people on the forum have had issues with Bluetooth pairing and have had to delete and start again. Better wait till some of them respond to your post or search the forum yourself.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

JBR999

Post by JBR999 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:42 pm

Thank you for your interest.
The connection methods I have been trying are a mixture of what I read in the car's handbook, what messages I have received on the car's screen and suggestions from other people.
I'm not trying to establish an internet connection from the car to the phone, as the car itself doesn't have an internet connection source of its own. Rather I am hoping to do the opposite and use an internet connection on my phone to supply the car's screen.
My hope is to connect the phone for accessing music and apps, such as Google Maps, from the phone to the car's infotainment screen, which my wife managed to do with her phone quite quickly and easily. Mine just isn't working following the same procedure, which is why I suspect something wrong with my phone or its settings rather than the car's system.
I have tried using Bluetooth, a USB cable, and both together.
I shall be happy to search the forum further to what I have already done, but am still hoping for help from someone with suggestions on here.

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:39 am

I am not very tech.
But my son had a similar prob in his Focus and said it was the Privacy settings in the phone.
It was set to not sharing!
So any invitation from another device was blocked.

RP22

Post by RP22 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:53 pm

Hello JBR999,
I struggled with this connectivity issue for ages with our T-ROC, and Impala’s reply absolutely nails it. After Android 9, on some phones, the ip address it generates is not accepted by the T-Rocs system. You can fiddle around in your phone settings, and find what i.p. address it is generating if you set it up as a hotspot, but when I was on this journey, it proved a great waste of time, there was not any way around it.

I eventually got around it by buying a wingle – a USB stick which picks up the mobile 4G signal and converts it into a wifi inside the car. The one I bought was the Huawei E8372 via eBay. This is well described in these forums, so just a few points from personal use: Most of them on sale are white, which you may think would be conspicuous inside a car. By hunting around on the internet I found a black one on e-Bay for $59.90. It was from Russia, so on setting up all the instructions were in Russian. However, there is a tiny drop down arrow across the top giving a choice of language. I use a SIM from 1p mobile just for the wingle. It is ridiculously cheap to run, but I really only use it to back up the Sat – Nav. It will allow you to use the other features of Car Net such as news and weather.

The 8372 itself is absolutely rock solid – for example, if our domestic Virgin Media router goes down, I go and get the 8372 out of the car and use it to pick up from a local 4G mast - it then runs the household internet with ease. I have always found the weak thing is the Car Net itself, which comes and goes with great abandon. You will find references to all of this on these forums. (Do NOT buy the E3372 – it is a different beast).

The great thing about the 8372 is that you stick it in one of the USB sockets and forget about it. It does have 3 power lights, but these are tiny, like less than a pin head in size. If you go down the mobile phone route, you have to fix it up each time, so I believe. Hope some of that helps.